Complaints about Game Ops and Marketing

Derby

Pilsners in Prague
Sponsor
Dec 30, 2009
Ohio
Agree on the ops in general last night. The players actually raised their sticks to acknowledge the fans after the game, too. I haven’t seen that except for the season’s final game in years! While not “game ops” exactly, it was something that was mentioned in the comments of Portzline’s Atletic article. The tee shirt giveaway, full arena, and lotsa goals game didn’t hurt either.
It was fun.

Reactions: The Bread Man

Maylo

It never happened.
May 20, 2017

I like what Canes are doing. John Forslund commentary doesn't hurt either.

Reactions: CPTN71

JacketFanInFL

Brick by Brick
Mar 27, 2006
Central FL
Just saw on Facebook Jackets are giving t-shirts to first 10,000 people at tonight's game. If I was 10,001st in line I'd be annoyed. Especially if I had a kid or two with me. Why not have enough for everyone attending and keep the extras for future promos? I know double the cost but seems like it would be worth it. :dunno:

Unless you and your kids are all Triple extra large, the shirts aren’t wearable.

JohnnyJacket13

(formerly PD9)
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Columbus
Somewhat on topic.....I’m a bit disappointed there wasn’t a moment of silence before the game last night for the mass synagogue shooting in Pittsburgh. It seems like every other professional sports team has acknowledged the tragedy this weekend

JacketFanInFL

Brick by Brick
Mar 27, 2006
Central FL
The place is a morgue, let's face it. They could stand to turn the music up a little. Credit to them from getting away from playing CD101 music.

As already suggested, there's nothing as forced and awkward as scoring a 3-2 overtime winning goal and having to sit through the Chili Chant before I am allowed to celebrate. Someone suggested it's a tradition or something. Even shitty traditions need to die.

Embrace Ohio State. Remember the cheers that RyJo got after dawning Braxton Miller jersey in the skills competition? They are here, they're not going away. 90+% of the city loves them. Show Urban Meyer and his family in attendance. Get Cardale to drop the opening puck. Get the band in-house. Quit p***yfooting around them. Most importantly, don't schedule (home) games at the same time as them.

We have a national celebrity like Kirk Herbstreit openly rooting for us. Get him into the mix somehow.

Is Mike Todd still the hype guy? Guy is as interesting as a fence post. I'm sure he's a nice guy, though.

I would challenge our game ops staff to not only attend other NHL games, but NBA and NFL games that have great fan experiences. As I have posted before, the Orlando Magic are one of the worst teams in the NBA but I will be damned if everyone isn't into the game and entertained. Teams are doing cool things with technology. They can turn everyone's cellphone into favors.

The CBJ name and identity are largely rooted in the military. We have a large base in Dayton. Everybody loves the military and saluting of our heroes and first responders. Nothing gets bigger cheers outside of goals in arenas today. This needs to be a larger focus. Last time I was in Nationwide, I do believe they did some sort of salute which I appreciated. Can open this up to community service and educational salutes as well.

Last edited:

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
Why have I seen Jeff Rimer in more commercials this season than Jones/Werenski/Dubois combined?
Going to assume Rimer is pretty cheap and players cost more?
I know in my prior job one of the current players had his agent reach out to say he was a big fan of the brand and was interested in doing commercials. We didn't really advertise except social media. But that was only time I've had a player have his team reach out like that. So likely more on the players to let their agents know they would be willing.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
I know in my prior job one of the current players had his agent reach out to say he was a big fan of the brand and was interested in doing commercials. We didn't really advertise except social media. But that was only time I've had a player have his team reach out like that. So likely more on the players to let their agents know they would be willing.
Would players charge for doing ads for their own team or the league? I would think that standard promotional events (ads, season ticket holder meet & greets, etc.) wouldn't require extra compensation.

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
Would players charge for doing ads for their own team or the league? I would think that standard promotional events (ads, season ticket holder meet & greets, etc.) wouldn't require extra compensation.
In this case the player wanted to be a spokesman for a company. It wasn't a cbj deal at all.
Im assuming NHLPA says what they can do. Likely up to "X" official events per year.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
In this case the player wanted to be a spokesman for a company. It wasn't a cbj deal at all.
Im assuming NHLPA says what they can do. Likely up to "X" official events per year.
Misread/misunderstood.

Based on the commercials I've seen with Jackets players, we ought to be paid to watch them.

Last edited:
Reactions: Halfboard

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
I definitely think that is the reason.

But also maybe companies aren't approaching the Jackets?

Jackets Woodchuck

Dec 27, 2010
Re: scheduling around OSU. Teams don't have complete autonomy when scheduling games. They're probably consulted, but there are games that the league has to schedule on a certain day to make the league schedule work.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
The place is a morgue, let's face it. They could stand to turn the music up a little. Credit to them from getting away from playing CD101 music.

As already suggested, there's nothing as forced and awkward as scoring a 3-2 overtime winning goal and having to sit through the Chili Chant before I am allowed to celebrate. Someone suggested it's a tradition or something. Even ****ty traditions need to die.

Embrace Ohio State. Remember the cheers that RyJo got after dawning Braxton Miller jersey in the skills competition? They are here, they're not going away. 90+% of the city loves them. Show Urban Meyer and his family in attendance. Get Cardale to drop the opening puck. Get the band in-house. Quit p***yfooting around them. Most importantly, don't schedule (home) games at the same time as them.

We have a national celebrity like Kirk Herbstreit openly rooting for us. Get him into the mix somehow.

Is Mike Todd still the hype guy? Guy is as interesting as a fence post. I'm sure he's a nice guy, though.

I would challenge our game ops staff to not only attend other NHL games, but NBA and NFL games that have great fan experiences. As I have posted before, the Orlando Magic are one of the worst teams in the NBA but I will be damned if everyone isn't into the game and entertained. Teams are doing cool things with technology. They can turn everyone's cellphone into favors.

The CBJ name and identity are largely rooted in the military. We have a large base in Dayton. Everybody loves the military and saluting of our heroes and first responders. Nothing gets bigger cheers outside of goals in arenas today. This needs to be a larger focus. Last time I was in Nationwide, I do believe they did some sort of salute which I appreciated. Can open this up to community service and educational salutes as well.

Re: scheduling around OSU. Teams don't have complete autonomy when scheduling games. They're probably consulted, but there are games that the league has to schedule on a certain day to make the league schedule work.

The NHL schedule is published farther in advance than a college basketball schedule. Even though the OSU football schedule is also known far in advance, TV networks like to play god with the starting times to fit their own capitalistic needs. Either way it will never be avoidable. Even if the CBJ ultimately try to avoid it, it takes 2 to tango. The university doesn't care enough to look the other way. I personally saw Urban come to the playoff game a couple of years ago. I don't think the school has any interest in marketing at CBJ games. They don't need it and they get nothing out of it except to help their "competition"

Johansen2Foligno

CBJ Realest
Jan 2, 2015

Did you work for Kinetico?

Old Guy

Just waitin' on my medication.
Aug 30, 2015
Why have I seen Jeff Rimer in more commercials this season than Jones/Werenski/Dubois combined?

Hmmmmmm........okay....I'll play.

".............because you haven't gouged your eyes out yet??"
"...........because Jones/Werenski/DuBois were shown the script and haven't stopped laughing yet?"
".......because the ink is barely dry on the last 2 guys drivers license yet, and Byers markets to Old Guys?"

If they really wanted to put together a Byers commercial it would start with Rimer doing his stupid routine with a faux customer, then George Byers would walk in and see him. George would look off camera and say "okay guys.....put an end to this". Then the aforementioned Jones/Werenski/DuBois walk in screen, "drop the gloves" (a la Nick F.) and proceed to beat the crap out of Rimer.

Closing shot of Rimer in traction at Riverside

A true punk creaming.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->