Compensation for losing Restrcited Free Agents?

Status
Not open for further replies.

timlap

Jun 19, 2002
Has anyone heard what the compensation will be for losing Restricted Free Agents? In other words, what will the signing team have to give up?

Last edited:

Skk82

Mar 30, 2004
Arlington, VA
to my knowledge, this issue hasn't been reported on by the press.

since in 3 years the UFA age is going to be just 27, i'd assume that teams will sign each others RFA's about as frequently as they did in the old CBA, if only because there will probably be less and less RFAs.

timlap

Jun 19, 2002
sirkraut_82 said:
to my knowledge, this issue hasn't been reported on by the press.

since in 3 years the UFA age is going to be just 27, i'd assume that teams will sign each others RFA's about as frequently as they did in the old CBA, if only because there will probably be less and less RFAs.
I haven't heard any reports either, which strikes me as curious. I can't believe they would carry on with the maximum penalty of five first rounders.

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
timlap said:
I haven't heard any reports either, which strikes me as curious. I can't believe they would carry on with the maximum penalty of five first rounders.

You need to make the penalty steep so teams wont throw huge cash at a RFA.

The salaries would increase massivly if the penalty wasnt steep. If it would only cost Team A 1 1st round pick to offer Kovalchuk 7.5 MILL than they would do it. Then ATL would have to match. When ATL was only going to offer Kovalchuk 4-4.5 MILL.

timlap

Jun 19, 2002
La-La-Laprise said:
You need to make the penalty steep so teams wont throw huge cash at a RFA.

The salaries would increase massivly if the penalty wasnt steep. If it would only cost Team A 1 1st round pick to offer Kovalchuk 7.5 MILL than they would do it. Then ATL would have to match. When ATL was only going to offer Kovalchuk 4-4.5 MILL.
7.5 is a lot of cap room to spend on one player. But clearly many teams don't want it to be hard to sign their RFAs, so they are in favour of restrictive compensation rules. The players would have felt differently.

But my question is- what will the new rules be? If they were changed significantly, it might have a big impact. Has no one with sources asked this question? Bob? :)

coppernblue

Apr 5, 2005
im quiet surprised that this has not been one of the major issues reported in the new agreement.

timlap

Jun 19, 2002
Silly me. I saw there were some more posts on this thread, and I assmued that someone had some insight on the actual topic.

edit: Just to be clear, this refers to posts that have since been deleted, and not to the above posts, which were good. :)

Last edited:

BobMckenzie

Jul 23, 2003
We'll have to see what the details are when the actual CBA makes it way around, but it's my understanding the concept of the restricted free agent is now a thing of the past. I stand to be corrected but I don't believe there is any such thing as a restricted free agent in the new system. You either get the money designated for you in the new system or you don't and if you don't, you're unrestrictred...or unemployed. With the schedule for liberalized free agency, new rules for QO's and arbitration, it doesn't look like an "offer sheet" even exists any more. We'll see.

Rick Middleton

May 14, 2002
Ottawa, ON
BobMckenzie said:
We'll have to see what the details are when the actual CBA makes it way around, but it's my understanding the concept of the restricted free agent is now a thing of the past. I stand to be corrected but I don't believe there is any such thing as a restricted free agent in the new system. You either get the money designated for you in the new system or you don't and if you don't, you're unrestrictred...or unemployed. With the schedule for liberalized free agency, new rules for QO's and arbitration, it doesn't look like an "offer sheet" even exists any more. We'll see.
Thanks Bob. The next couple of weeks will be interesting to say the least. Hopefully my Bruins get their act together and get all those unsigned UFA/RFA/FA's signed.

BobMckenzie

Jul 23, 2003
BobMckenzie said:

Hey, McKenzie, you're an idiot...oops, wait that's me. I do stand to be corrected. Group Two free agency remains in effect, with some minor modificiations to compensation etc. Sorry for the misinformation... :propeller

Rick Middleton

May 14, 2002
Ottawa, ON
BobMckenzie said:
Hey, McKenzie, you're an idiot...oops, wait that's me. I do stand to be corrected. Group Two free agency remains in effect, with some minor modificiations to compensation etc. Sorry for the misinformation... :propeller
So the RFA's will still have a compensation system scaled to their salary ... i.e. signing a $4 million dollar RFA would cost a team 3 first rounders?

Montrealer

What, me worry?
Dec 12, 2002
Chambly QC
BobMckenzie said:

Hey, McKenzie, thanks!

So how's the vacation going? ;)

timlap

Jun 19, 2002
La-La-Laprise said:
Acting like an ass isnt a great way to get people to help you find information.
Are you referring to me? Please show me what I did wrong.

edit: Oh, I get it. My post referred to some posts that have since been erased for their offensive nature. Not to your post. Sorry for the confusion.

timlap

Jun 19, 2002
BobMckenzie said:
Thank you for the answers. This will take a little meditation to wrap my head around. (and perhaps medication. :D )

BobMckenzie

Jul 23, 2003
The most noteworthy thing about the new RFA status is the new signing deadline. A RFA must be signed by Dec. 1 or he's ineligible to play that season in the league. Good clause in the new CBA. That will force teams and players closer together in negotiations and no player ever sits out a whole season again to back demands for a new contract...unless maybe it's Yashin. Just kidding. ;)

Timmy

Feb 2, 2005
BobMckenzie said:
The most noteworthy thing about the new RFA status is the new signing deadline. A RFA must be signed by Dec. 1 or he's ineligible to play that season in the league. Good clause in the new CBA. That will force teams and players closer together in negotiations and no player ever sits out a whole season again to back demands for a new contract...unless maybe it's Yashin. Just kidding. ;)

That is good news, except I, being a greedy SOB, would rather have seen Nov 1. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->