Comparisons beetween rep and house hockey

PerpetualTankYear

Doan 3:16
Mar 27, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
What would be the comparisions beetween a AA Bantam team and House bantam team like
Practices?
Team mates?
Coaching?
Traveling?
Games?
Scouting?

House:

Practices? Once a week.
Team mates? House teams have about 12-14 kids. Plus a goalie.
Coaching? Decent coaches. No bums are going to coach.
Traveling? It's house league.....
Games? Once a week
Scouting? ummmm

AA

Practices? 2 a week. About.
Team mates? They have about 15-18 Skaters, and two goalies.
Coaching? Usualy have good coaching. Depends on the club.
Traveling? AA will mostly stay within the State. Maybe a turnament or 2 in another region.
Games? 1-2 a week.
Scouting? No scouts are going to watch a Bantam AA game.

Flyersfan1014

Jan 6, 2010
Reading PA
I don't know about AA but my 16U midget A team has 2 games and practices a week, a pretty good coach, (likes to have fun but is also serious) no scouting, we travel to Pittsburgh from about 45 minutes away from Philly, (we are in between kinda but that's probably like 2-3 hour drive, haven't done it yet) we have 18 players and 1 goalie but there was just a shortage on goalies, about half of the 19 teams have 2

cbjpointman

It begins here
Mar 11, 2006
What would be the comparisions beetween a AA Bantam team and House bantam team like
Practices?
Team mates?
Coaching?
Traveling?
Games?
Scouting?

Guess this depends on where you are from. Im in central Ohio and there is no comparison. House hockey is for kids that like to play the sport but have no aspirations to compete at a higher level than JV high school hockey at best. Bantam AA allows boys to compete at a much more competitive level, at least high school varsity, and many will take paths ending in junior hockey (U16 AAA type progression).

My son played on a competitve Bantam AA team.

Practices: 2-3 x per week vs. 1 x week for house
Team mates: Competitive tryouts, approx 40 for 18 spots. All boys were focused for both practice and games. They took it seriously. House- not so much
Coaching: Paid coach for Bantam AA (former DI player) vs. Dad of player
Travel: We travelled 2-3 hours away throughout Midwest, Cleveland, Detroit, Cincy, Pittsburgh, Indy. House- local rinks
Games: 50-55 games vs. 20 for house
Scouting: Meh. At state championships and national Tier II (AA) tourney, USA hockey officials are there. Maybe a chance to be noticed.

There is no comparison in the competitive level. As a Bantam AA player, he had access to the USA hockey development camp tryouts and the opportunity to play against the best in our district. Even advanced to the regional camp. Best from this camp advanced to a national festival. Im certain many scouts & USA hockey officials were at the national festival.

The path you choose depends on your family's expectations and goals. Why does your son play hockey and how important is getting very good to him? How hard does he want to work? Those answers should answer your question.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Where I live, everyone that age plays hockey. If you are good enough for rep you play it, if not, you play house.

Trevor3

Nov 16, 2010
Stephenville - YJT
Yeah, it honestly depends on where you are. To give an example, where I live, for Midget, house league was 1-2 games per week, no practices. A and B rep teams practiced once a week and played 2-3 games every second week or so. AAA Major played 2-3 games every weekend, while AAA Minor plays two tournaments of 4-5 games each and that's it, afterwards you go back to your local A team. (AAA teams were picked regionally, local teams are A, B, C and D).

Generally, you have to decide where you want to play, how much work you want to put in and what you want out of it in the end. I played B, house league and high school hockey all in my last year. B, because that's where my friends were and I turned down a spot on A, house league because everyone who registers is automatically put in it, and high school because I wanted to.

I expect many will be suprised to hear that AAA players skate in the same house league as guys who get cut from B or C local teams. But that's our system, and its different in each province/state.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Yeah, it honestly depends on where you are. To give an example, where I live, for Midget, house league was 1-2 games per week, no practices. A and B rep teams practiced once a week and played 2-3 games every second week or so. AAA Major played 2-3 games every weekend, while AAA Minor plays two tournaments of 4-5 games each and that's it, afterwards you go back to your local A team. (AAA teams were picked regionally, local teams are A, B, C and D).

Generally, you have to decide where you want to play, how much work you want to put in and what you want out of it in the end. I played B, house league and high school hockey all in my last year. B, because that's where my friends were and I turned down a spot on A, house league because everyone who registers is automatically put in it, and high school because I wanted to.

I expect many will be suprised to hear that AAA players skate in the same house league as guys who get cut from B or C local teams. But that's our system, and its different in each province/state.

Thats how it is for soccer where I live. about 10 years ago hockey was like that, but then rep had about 3-4 practices/1 day off-ice conditioning a week so they changed how it worked.

noobman

Nov 28, 2007
I did a bit of single A as a kid and a lot of house league... tried out for AA once but didn't make the cut.

House League:

Practices?
0-1 times a week. At Bantam, house league practices are still pretty good but as you go higher I find that fewer players show up to them. You'll have some fun practices and some tough practices.

Team mates?
Depends on the league, but you can expect around 9 forward, 4 D-men, and a goalie. Usually a mix of skill levels and abilities.

Coaching?
Decent coaches. As per usual, it's often one of the parents on the team.

Traveling?
None.

Games?
Once a week.

Scouting? Nonexistent. You may be looked at by other coaches for the select team, but that's it.

AA

Practices?
2-3 times a week. Expect some high intensity practices and a lot of skills-based stuff.

Team mates?
You're looking at a full roster (12 forwards, 6 D-men, 2 goalies) as the target roster size.

Coaching?
You're going to have a coach certified to coach at that level. How good he is depends on the club.

Traveling?
Hard to say since it is largely dependent on the area at that level.

Games?
1-2 games per week. The average time on ice per week is 4-5 hours including both practice and games.

Scouting?
Doubtful. A bottom-feeding AAA team *might* have someone at a game trying to get a AA player to make the jump.

BogsDiamond

Anybody get 2 U yet?
Mar 16, 2008
Practices?
Team mates?
Coaching?
Traveling?
Games?
Scouting?

Some great answers already but I'll chime in with a broadstroke answer:

With Rep everything hockey related is better; coaching, practices, times, competition, skill building, etc.
In houseleague, you get coaches that might not know as much, less practice times, kids that can barely skate, parents that don't care, etc.

However, the biggest negative you may find is the attitude surrounding a rep team compared to houseleague.
Tonnes of in-fighting, politics, kids getting benched, etc.

If your child plays travel, hopefully you get a good group of parents and coaches.
But from what I've seen, that doesn't happen all that much.

Unless your kid is insanely talented, you better be great friends with the head coach or your kid can get jerked around with ice time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad