Online Series: Comparing on-line streaming services. Which do you use?

What is on-line streaming services do you subscribe to?

• Total voters

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
With more and more on line services it is interesting to see how each is lining up differently in the market place and what is doing to keep the subscribers.

I used to have Netflix, Disney and Prime. But I have swapped out Prime for curiosity stream as I love documentaries and that is something I love. Some docs are available on different streaming sites and others are in public domain due to be educational videos but overall I find it easier to go to one site

Which 0n-line streamers have you subscribed to?

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
I use Netflix and Prime. I only recently got Prime and I think the movie selection blows Netflix out of the water TBH, at least in Canada. The TV shows are weaker though. I did the free trial month for Disney, enjoyed The Mandalorian, but found literally nothing else of interest. I've had HBO before but mainly just watched that if there was a show on I was interested in.

Shudder seems interesting to be, although so niche. I'll do my free trial at some point. Definitely have interest in Hulu, but it's just too much in addition to Netflix and Prime to justify for me.

Reactions: Voight

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
I use Netflix and Prime. I only recently got Prime and I think the movie selection blows Netflix out of the water TBH, at least in Canada. The TV shows are weaker though. I did the free trial month for Disney, enjoyed The Mandalorian, but found literally nothing else of interest. I've had HBO before but mainly just watched that if there was a show on I was interested in.

Shudder seems interesting to be, although so niche. I'll do my free trial at some point. Definitely have interest in Hulu, but it's just too much in addition to Netflix and Prime to justify for me.

One reason why I kept Netflix over Prime is that Prime has added the ability to tell when you are using a VPN, netflix has not and I think they realize that since we are paying for their services they do not care. With Prime, in one country something maybe free but is chargeable in another

Sep 19, 2008
ranking rn

amazon prime - all the HBO archived shows are there like Veep, Curb, Wire, Sopranos etc. Movies is kind of lacking.

disney+- vast library of marvel stuff and most of the MCU movies there

netflix - only tiger king on this?

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
In order of use:

Netflix - Use always daily

Hulu - once a week maybe
Prime - once a week maybe

HBO - since GOT ended i dont think i’ve opened it once. Actually i watched one movie.

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
Netflix and Disney + its all I really need to get by and I dont put enough time into them as it is so I dont think I could handle anymore lol. Oh and I purchase DAZN seasonally for NFL football.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
Netflix, although I just piggyback on my daughter's account.
Prime I pay for.
I also get Crave through my cable/internet package so I get HBO, Showtime, History channel, BBC and a bunch of other stuff.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street

I have access to Disney+ thru a family member, but yea its really not that great unless you have young kids. I could be wrong but I think Hulu has Foxs TV assets that Disney bought?

CraveTV is also a good service to get. Lots of content on there (though I haven't had it in over a year so maybe thats changed)

Reactions: Trap Jesus

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
It's really weird. In the past, I hardly ever watched television at all except for sports. Name any popular sit-com since I Love Lucy--I can honestly say I never saw a complete episode (Archie Bunker, Cheers, Seinfield, Friends, The Simpsons, et al). But now I have Netflix and Amazon Prime and my partner and I use them frequently, especially during the pandemic. Currently she and I are absolutely addicted to Mozart in the Jungle. Times change with a vengeance these days.

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017

Thanks for the comment on Disney+, solves it for me, just won't go there.

I too have Netflix and Prime, but I'm really not sure I prefer Netflix on anything right now. Prime is a lot deeper, and has more variety. Netflix Canada is really shitty. I end up watching stuff like Titans and Flash... I mean wtf is wrong with me? Flash really is a terrible show - at least it's the only one I stuck to from that universe of terrible shows.

I find Tubi quite useful too for trash. And I sometimes use a thing called Popcornflix, but there's never any new material on there.

Last edited:
Reactions: Trap Jesus

Pattysaurus

Oct 28, 2007
New York
Netflix
Prime
HBO Go - through my parents
Apple - my fiancée got it for free for one year

We use Netflix 90% of the time.

LadyJet26

LETS GO BLUE!!!!!
Sep 6, 2004
Winnipeg, MB
Netflix
Disney+
Prime
Crave (we get this with our cable subscription)

Right now been watching agents of shield on Crave and movies on disney+

ItsFineImFine

Aug 11, 2019
It's not an option on here but I use my library's film service Kanopy. It has a far better movie selection especially for classic movies than Netflix. With Netflix, it's become quantity over quality for films and I'm not that into TV. I do occasionally subscribe for a couple months to Netflix but always find myself tied to their catalogue rather than going out and finding stuff I actually wanna watch so I prefer using pirated streams.

tealhockey

@overtheboards
Jun 2, 2012
www.tealhockey.net
ranking rn

amazon prime - all the HBO archived shows are there like Veep, Curb, Wire, Sopranos etc. Movies is kind of lacking.

disney+- vast library of marvel stuff and most of the MCU movies there

netflix - only tiger king on this?
i think there are some gems on prime and netflix. like annihilation on prime and the vegas knights movie valiant, the in search of greatness thing, plus all that HBO stuff.

netflix has some good shows and movies like peaky blinders, anon, ex machina etc

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Netflix daily pretty much. Lots of stuff I like, currently watching The Last Kingdom and Unorthodox.

Prime, though I got it for the delivery the streaming has been a nice surprise. Slowly re-watching Supernatural from the start. Some good original content like The Boys. All the John Wick and Bourne movies is nice also.

Disney+ was nice at first for the new Star Wars tv shows but thinking of dumping it now as there is nothing I really want to watch and the new stuff is being delayed because of covid.

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
Youtube tv for live TV - it's really good with On Demand and DVR. You can grant access to six additional accounts for family
Netflix
Prime but more so for shopping, it's just included.
I'll check out Hulu for a month here and there
Apple + is free right now per last year's phone purchase. Not worth it moving forward
Disney + not worth it as I don't have kids.
HBO GO is free through my ATT cell service. Tons of good stuff on here but the ap is a bit wonky.
I also have ESPN+ for a year due to a UFC fight I got a while ago. There is actually a good deal of content on here, 30 for 30's, old classic games and docs.

Last edited:

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
I've been finding that Prime is getting a lot more use in my house. We've had prime for a while, but rarely used (got it for the shipping around the holidays a couple of years ago). But, I've had good luck in finding movies on there. We saw Hustlers last night, and recently watched Booksmart and Brittany Runs a Marathon.

They've built a decent film library of interesting stuff. I don't think I've ever been too intrigued by their original series, but I have used it in my Lost re-watch. I've noticed that they have some other network series that I've been meaning to check out (Superstore) or may rewatch (Magicians).

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
Seems like the whole streaming service concept has been expanding rapidly over the past several years, which appears to be killing the notion that this is a cheaper alternative to cable. Major ones off the top of my head include Disney+, Netflix, Hulu, ESPN+, Paramount+, Apple TV+, HBO Max, Peacock, Prime Video, Britbox, and many more. So which all are you subscribed to, or planning to add to your library?

For me, my girlfriend and I share accounts, with her paying for Netflix and Prime Video, and me paying for Disney+, Hulu, and ESPN+. She really likes ATLA, so we'll be adding Paramount+ to our library as well. What all do you own?

ItsFineImFine

Aug 11, 2019
Prime's film content has gotten better for sure while Netflix's continues to disintegrate. People are watching more TV though so maybe they don't care.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I have Prime and Netflix for other people/other services, but I don't really use any myself, personally. I would if everything was in one place, but quality just seems too scattered to bother looking everytime, and I don't like the process of randomly browsing services like that for fun.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad