Comparing NCAA Div1 to Euro Pro Div 2

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
We know talented NHL prospects can compete in the top Euro leagues against men. How would you guys compare the level of competition in the USA's NCAA Div 1 or Canadian CHL against playing in a European Second Division league (like the Swedish Allsvenskan or Czech WSM Liga)? Could a prospect be better served playing there against older players?

For instance, in Pastrnak's draft year, he put up 24 points in 36 games for Sodertalkje SK before going 25th overall, but I don't think anyone expected him to jump to the NHL so quickly.

Thoughts?

Michael Farkas

Celebrate 68
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.hockeyprospect.com
I've seen Allsvenskan and VHL hockey in particular, and they were both slower games and much less "straightforward" than NCAA games. The VHL in particular is "single attack"/immature "rush offense" type of game...the NCAA game is cycling and point shots into a group of 8 bodies between the hashmarks...the latter is much more physical and carries over some "high school" or "prep school" hits, as I call them...the Euro leagues have more 1v1, 1v2, 1v3 and in the VHL, 1v4 rushes...

I can't speak for the second tier Czech league, but from what I've seen of the top league in passing, I doubt the second tier league would be very appetizing even if you ignore the cultural shock for a 17/18/19 year old North American...

Allsvenskan is a good league, particularly near the top, and I don't think a prospect - in a vacuum - would be at all damaged by playing in that league - particularly a more skilled player...a grinding type of player, like Curtis McKenzie for instance (I use him because of how much better of a pro he has been vs. collegiate player), would not do as well there in my opinion...it really depends on the player...I wouldn't find the VHL to be a good area to develop...I would limit it to Allsvenskan and Mestis leagues if I had to make a quick remark on it...I will admit, I am not fully versed in any second tier Euro leagues...but I have seen them...

Additionally, I would recommend this thread be moved out of the Numbers subforum, as there is nothing numerical about this topic in reality...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad