compare leafs and jets who would you rather have

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
Obviously, I see Ehlers play more than I see Nylander. So, maybe I'm focused more on the things I dislike about Ehlers, which I've previously expressed. But point wise they are pretty close, and being a center, Nylander offers more versatility than a pure winger. So yes, I would rather have Nylander than Ehlers. If the Jets traded Ehlers for Nylander, I would be ecstatic. I realize that probably puts me in the minority here, but so be it.

Connor had a very good rookie season, but let's see if he can follow that up. Marner has had two very good seasons, so I think he gets the edge.

Matthews is just flat out better than Laine already, and likely has a higher ceiling. I don't see how anyone can argue otherwise, and I'm a... well, see username. Laine is a great PP sniper, his ability to setup others with great scoring opportunities often gets overlooked, and he puts in the effort to play a defensively responsible game, and that will get better. Still, I take elite center over elite winger every day.

To me, it all adds up to having a preference for the Leafs trio.
Nylander has yet to actually play center full time in the NHL. So at this point, you have two wingers, one of which scores more goals.

As a Swede, thinking there is a noteworthy gap between Nylander and Ehlers is simply incorrect.

SniperOnTheWing

Apr 28, 2017
I'm a Leafs fan first but the Jets are my #2 team and honestly I have a hard time deciding between most of these players.

- Matthews > Schiefele

This preference mostly comes down to the age difference and Matthews' extra goal scoring touch. Schiefele took a little while to develop but eventually turned into an absolute beast, while Matthews can be just as good or a little better but is only just entering his third season. If given the choice I think I'd rather have Schiefele over Tavares though.

- Laine > Marner

This one is super close for me but being such a big fan of pure snipers (see username) I have to give the nod to perhaps the next best pure goal scorer of the Ovechkin era. I believe Marner can outpoint Laine because his playmaking ability is elite and Laine's production will be more goal centric, but it's hard to pass up a guy with 60 goal potential who gave Ovie a run before he even turned 20.

- Nylander > Ehlers

This one is also a razor thin margin and Nylander gets the edge because of his ability to play center in a pinch. During the 2014 draft I was actually hoping the Leafs were going to take Ehlers mostly because he was a Halifax Moosehead and I liked his speed and scoring touch. We couldn't have gone wrong with either pick, really. If Nylander sails past Ehlers this season it's because his deployment alongside Matthews is going to be better than Ehlers is likely to see unless he makes it to the 1st line. Should both guys end up on their respective 1st lines and powerplay units I can see similar 75pt years for each.

I went to Toronto to see the Leafs-Jets game back in March and was floored by the amount of sheer talent on the ice. I will always and forever be a die-hard Leafs fan more than anything but the Jets are right up there as a close second.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
Nylander has yet to actually play center full time in the NHL. So at this point, you have two wingers, one of which scores more goals.

As a Swede, thinking there is a noteworthy gap between Nylander and Ehlers is simply incorrect.

Not sure what you being Swedish has to do with your evaluation, but even if Ehlers is on a par or even slightly above Nylander, I still pick the Leafs trio for the other two.

This could be one of those comparisons we do every year, and every year comes out different.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
Not sure what you being Swedish has to do with your evaluation, but even if Ehlers is on a par or even slightly above Nylander, I still pick the Leafs trio for the other two.

This could be one of those comparisons we do every year, and every year comes out different.
Nylander is Swedish. I'm slightly more likely to pick him over others based on nationality.

I'm not saying that it's wrong to pick the Toronto trio. I'm saying that your claim that Ehlers is the weak link is odd given how close Ehlers and Nylander are.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
Nylander is Swedish. I'm slightly more likely to pick him over others based on nationality.

I'm not saying that it's wrong to pick the Toronto trio. I'm saying that your claim that Ehlers is the weak link is odd given how close Ehlers and Nylander are.

Technically, he's a Canadian. :D

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
I'm a Leafs fan first but the Jets are my #2 team and honestly I have a hard time deciding between most of these players.

- Matthews > Schiefele

This preference mostly comes down to the age difference and Matthews' extra goal scoring touch. Schiefele took a little while to develop but eventually turned into an absolute beast, while Matthews can be just as good or a little better but is only just entering his third season. If given the choice I think I'd rather have Schiefele over Tavares though.

- Laine > Marner

This one is super close for me but being such a big fan of pure snipers (see username) I have to give the nod to perhaps the next best pure goal scorer of the Ovechkin era. I believe Marner can outpoint Laine because his playmaking ability is elite and Laine's production will be more goal centric, but it's hard to pass up a guy with 60 goal potential who gave Ovie a run before he even turned 20.

- Nylander > Ehlers

This one is also a razor thin margin and Nylander gets the edge because of his ability to play center in a pinch. During the 2014 draft I was actually hoping the Leafs were going to take Ehlers mostly because he was a Halifax Moosehead and I liked his speed and scoring touch. We couldn't have gone wrong with either pick, really. If Nylander sails past Ehlers this season it's because his deployment alongside Matthews is going to be better than Ehlers is likely to see unless he makes it to the 1st line. Should both guys end up on their respective 1st lines and powerplay units I can see similar 75pt years for each.

I went to Toronto to see the Leafs-Jets game back in March and was floored by the amount of sheer talent on the ice. I will always and forever be a die-hard Leafs fan more than anything but the Jets are right up there as a close second.
Nice balanced post. What are you doing on HFboards?

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Are you guys serious? This debate was turning every WPG themed thread to pure cancer on the main boards. Are you trying to destroy HFJets?
This may be the most level-headed and civil Jets vs. Leafs thread I've ever seen on here...

Tdpjets

Dec 30, 2017
its like choosing between two hot sisters, you choose one but always kinda wonder what if you had gone with the other one instead. You are happy with the one you chose, but really sometimes you have thoughts but the other one. :(

and after six years have gone by, depending who wins more stanley cups leafs or jets, you realize the one you chose didnt age well while the other one did age well.

Reactions: QuietContrarian

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
Both rosters are fantastic, this would be a tough choice, but I will go with my Leafs.

However, I think you guys have a terrific team, and I love how big and strong on the puck you are, very well suited for playoff hockey.

Like I said above, it's a tough choice, but the good news is both teams are going to be dynamite going forward.

Hope you don't mind that I commented. Thought it was a cool thread

Reactions: amethyst

Tommigun

Jan 5, 2018
Is it thread hijacking to ask which team you’d rather have? I think with the Tavares acquisition, and if they get another D or two, that the Leafs are going to be the better team.

Ares

May 8, 2018
Is it thread hijacking to ask which team you’d rather have? I think with the Tavares acquisition, and if they get another D or two, that the Leafs are going to be the better team.
I would rather have players from each team, in such a fantasy world where that was possible. If I wanted the Leafs I wouldn't be a Jets fan, now would I? Would I replace our entire roster with theirs? No. I'm rather fond of some of our players and prospects.

Tommigun

Jan 5, 2018
I would rather have players from each team, in such a fantasy world where that was possible. If I wanted the Leafs I wouldn't be a Jets fan, now would I? Would I replace our entire roster with theirs? No. I'm rather fond of some of our players and prospects.

I of course didn’t mean a physical swap (as little as the thread title doesn’t either), but rather encouraged speculation on which will be stronger down the line, on a team level, instead of just three players. Of course none of us would switch out our favorite team and favorite players, I thought that would go without saying :P

Ares

May 8, 2018
I of course didn’t mean a physical swap (as little as the thread title doesn’t either), but rather encouraged speculation on which will be stronger down the line, on a team level, instead of just three players. Of course none of us would switch out our favorite team and favorite players, I thought that would go without saying :P
Well this is the internet so you might have to spell it out, my dear.

To be honest I don't share everyone else's obsession with Toronto (aside from watching Matthews highlights which I love). TOR might have the better 1-2 centers but our team is more balanced and we have the better number 1 goalie (no backup might hurt but Chevy must have a plan to fix that, right?) And we have Buff. I believe in the Jets. :thumbu:

Peggy

Aug 6, 2016
this is gross to see in the jets section

so I'm gonna say this
the leafs have the better trio of you're making this 3v3 hockey

but something people who keep making these comparisons need to understand
that two of those leafs players are top 5 picks, one being #4 over all
they have been bad for a few years. that's why they even have those picks

jets picked at 2oa, 9 and 17
that 2nd pick was supposed to be a 7th pick

tl:dr
you're comparing
1, 4 and 8 picks
vs
2, 9 and 17

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
this is gross to see in the jets section

so I'm gonna say this
the leafs have the better trio of you're making this 3v3 hockey

but something people who keep making these comparisons need to understand
that two of those leafs players are top 5 picks, one being #4 over all
they have been bad for a few years. that's why they even have those picks

jets picked at 2oa, 9 and 17
that 2nd pick was supposed to be a 7th pick

tl:dr
you're comparing
1, 4 and 8 picks
vs
2, 9 and 17

You make a point but wouldn't the Leafs top 3 F's include JT?
So that is:
1, 1 & 4
vs
2, 9 & 17
:laugh:

Leafs fans have been wanting to compare their top 3 recently drafted players. Now that they have JT, they will want to compare top 4 forwards.

But this thread is about 23 man rosters, not a cherry picked subset of the rosters.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad