compare leafs and jets who would you rather have

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
Sorry, I'm going with the Leafs. Ehlers is the weak link for me. Of course, the Leafs trio has the advantage of better coaching, so who knows what they would do here.

StatisticsAddict99

Feb 24, 2017
Lol. Laine fan says Ehlers is the weak link.. Did he not have more goals than Nylander and Marner?

It’s not as if one side lead the entire league in goals as a trio while all being under 22...

Also can we not forget as a Forward core we still have Vesalainen, Roslovic and Appleton who could all be really great scorers in the NHL(I think the odds our in our favour one will be), the defence is also great with Morrissey, Niku and Samberg.

DowntownBooster

Jun 21, 2011
Winnipeg
I know that some Leafs fans think a Stanley Cup is all but guaranteed now that they have Jonathan Tavares to go along with Auston Matthews. However, I wouldn't say that those two are better than Sidney Crosby and Evgeni Malkin nor do the Leafs have the depth of the Penguins and as good as Pittsburgh has been, it was a tough slog to make it to the finals when they did even with such a good lineup. Having said that, I wouldn't say the Leafs are necessarily better than the Jets solely because they added Tavares. I would pick the Jets.

:jets

Upperdeckjet

Dec 14, 2011
Jets of course!

I used to cheer for the leafs even though I didn't much care one way or the other. They were just so pathetic, I felt sorry for their fans.

This year however, full on hard cheer against them.

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
Sorry, I'm going with the Leafs. Ehlers is the weak link for me. Of course, the Leafs trio has the advantage of better coaching, so who knows what they would do here.
Weird, even with supposed better coaching Nylander and Marner weren't as good as Ehlers. Maybe they'd be better here.

Reactions: QuietContrarian

Ares

May 8, 2018
Matthews is best out of the six players. I like Marner but not Nylander.

Connor's only had 1 good season so far. I can't wait to see what he'll do next season. Ehlers had almost 30 goals, which is surprising (I guess the playoffs left a bad last impression).

I would take:
Matthews
Laine
Ehlers

Two Jets, one Leaf. So Jets group wins, I guess!

StatisticsAddict99

Feb 24, 2017
It's pretty much a saw-off. I don't think you'd find many Jets fans who'd take the Leafs' trio, and vice versa with Leafs fans and the Jets' trio.

Exactly, the jury is still out on most if not all of these players, we should atleast wait until Matthews and Laine are 21/22. I mean it’s hard to compare because they are in such different sitautions, one is a little more raw, gets less ES minutes, played with tough chemistry the other was given a decent amount of minutes at ES, not the highest amount of PP time for a Star scorer, missed allot of games, was appropriately reacted to when a bad case of chemistry hit him. That’s a hard take imo, I can get why either side likes there guy more at this point but people act as if Matthews is ultimately much, much better. It’s like Ovie and Crosby, people jumped the gun too soon on Ovies back(but ignored allot of context and given time). Call me crazy but I think it’s a wash until we actually see what they can do past 20 years old. All that said I like Laine more because the way he found goals with his lack of minutes as a Teenager, but I’d be stupid too say he’d be better in the future(as only the future can tell).

I think Marner is the best of the rest but Ehlers and Connor are better than Nylander, so it’s pretty much even IMO.

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014
I think if you are comparing a trio from each, it should be:

Scheifele
Laine
Ehlers

Mathews
Marner
Nylander

I give Scheif the nod against Mathews
Laine over Marner
And Ehlers slightly over Nylander

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
Ehlers is the weak link compared to what? Are you trying to say that Ehlers is noticeably worse than Nylander?

Obviously, I see Ehlers play more than I see Nylander. So, maybe I'm focused more on the things I dislike about Ehlers, which I've previously expressed. But point wise they are pretty close, and being a center, Nylander offers more versatility than a pure winger. So yes, I would rather have Nylander than Ehlers. If the Jets traded Ehlers for Nylander, I would be ecstatic. I realize that probably puts me in the minority here, but so be it.

Connor had a very good rookie season, but let's see if he can follow that up. Marner has had two very good seasons, so I think he gets the edge.

Matthews is just flat out better than Laine already, and likely has a higher ceiling. I don't see how anyone can argue otherwise, and I'm a... well, see username. Laine is a great PP sniper, his ability to setup others with great scoring opportunities often gets overlooked, and he puts in the effort to play a defensively responsible game, and that will get better. Still, I take elite center over elite winger every day.

To me, it all adds up to having a preference for the Leafs trio.

Tdpjets

Dec 30, 2017
I left out scheifele because he was drafted in 2011, the leafs drafted tyler biggs and stuart percy in 2011.
I think if you are comparing a trio from each, it should be:

Scheifele
Laine
Ehlers

Mathews
Marner
Nylander

I give Scheif the nod against Mathews
Laine over Marner
And Ehlers slightly over Nylander

Ad

Upcoming events