Injury Report: Community Injury Thread

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
We made a ton of adjustments in 2019. The team was just stale. 2020 was the one with no adjustments.

It's a blur at this point, but I don't recall seeing any changes to the way the Pens were playing (structurally or schematically) in Game 3 or 4 than they were in Game 1 or 2 of the Isles series.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
57viz1.jpg

Reactions: Zirakzigil

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
Apparently Malkin sitting out was ‘precautionary’?

Would really like some updates from practice early next week. If he is a full participant, that would confirm for me that it wasn’t a big injury.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Apparently Malkin sitting out was ‘precautionary’?

Would really like some updates from practice early next week. If he is a full participant, that would confirm for me that it wasn’t a big injury.

He has a bum knee or knee's and there is nothing that can be done short of bionic to stop it for the post season. You can see his body language - you can see when his adrenaline isn't pumping he acts differently - it's pretty obvious he either needs surgery or just a long recovery period.

Geno's probably 50/75% healthy .... anywhere in that threshold at any given moment with his leg/knee...

When the camera panned to geno after he was hobbling... it said everything...

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
He has a bum knee or knee's and there is nothing that can be done short of bionic to stop it for the post season. You can see his body language - you can see when his adrenaline isn't pumping he acts differently - it's pretty obvious he either needs surgery or just a long recovery period.

Geno's probably 50/75% healthy .... anywhere in that threshold at any given moment with his leg/knee...

When the camera panned to geno after he was hobbling... it said everything...
Oh I agree he likely won’t be 100% once the playoffs do come around. But if he’s a full participant and taking contact in practice in 3 or 4 days, we can hope he’s at least back to where he was a couple days ago.

Reactions: LOGiK

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Oh I agree he likely won’t be 100% once the playoffs do come around. But if he’s a full participant and taking contact in practice in 3 or 4 days, we can hope he’s at least back to where he was a couple days ago.

Was this after he kind of tweaked the same right knee last night?

I highly doubt geno will be taking contact that forces pressure on that knee... doesnt make sense.

He can play and power through it depending what it is obviously but there may be the point of no return for needing surgery and rest will not make it better, but pushing contact in practice can make it worse...

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
Was this after he kind of tweaked the same right knee last night?

I highly doubt geno will be taking contact that forces pressure on that knee... doesnt make sense.

He can play and power through it depending what it is obviously but there may be the point of no return for needing surgery and rest will not make it better, but pushing contact in practice can make it worse...

Given that he clearly wasn’t 100%, got to think it was a mistake playing him yesterday. Either way, hope it was just a small tweak and he’s back to being a full participant in practice sooner rather than later.

Reactions: LOGiK

Pittsburgh1776

Aug 9, 2010
I read that he has been wearing a heavy brace, so my thought is MCL. Which sucks given that the same knee was an ACL/MCL reconstruction. Malkin's just got a lot of miles on him and I think that will factor in to whatever deal he signs going forward. I would feel comfortable with 6-7M, no more than that.

Reactions: KIRK and Andy99

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I read that he has been wearing a heavy brace, so my thought is MCL. Which sucks given that the same knee was an ACL/MCL reconstruction. Malkin's just got a lot of miles on him and I think that will factor in to whatever deal he signs going forward. I would feel comfortable with 6-7M, no more than that.

if he’s wearing a heavy brace that should’ve protected him from that Cozens minimal contact last game...it wasn’t much of anything than a passing glance from a stick...so why would he have felt he tweaked something unless he’s now paranoid of falling or being hit?

Pittsburgh1776

Aug 9, 2010
I don't know, but I just hope nothing catastrophic happens in the playoffs. That would be tough to come back from.

Reactions: Andy99

Pittsburgh1776

Aug 9, 2010
The only catastrophic thing that can happen in the playoffs is dressing Jank.

...no coming back from that...

I was think more about a third major knee injury for Malkin, but I agree. I can see Sullivan going to the brink of elimination before finally breaking free of some of his stubbornness, but hopefully it doesn't get to that point.

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
"I'm starting to feel better"
-Brandon Tanev

I was expecting to read "I feel better"

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
The only catastrophic thing that can happen in the playoffs is dressing Jank.

...no coming back from that...
Agreed! That would be awful. Fortunately with our depth a lot of things would have to go sideways for that to be a possibility. He's currently 16th or 17th on the depth chart I suspect.

Reactions: Darren McCord

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
"I'm starting to feel better"
-Brandon Tanev

I was expecting to read "I feel better"

He's got another week to rest so hopefully Tanev and Matheson are ready for game 1. All put this roster against any team. Doesn't guarantee anything but definitely a top contender.

Guentzel-Crosby-Rust
Zucker-Malkin-Kapanen
McCann-Carter-Gaudreau
ZAR-Blueger-Tanev
Erod next man in

Dumoulin-Letang
Matheson-Ceci
Pettersson-Marino
Several injury options available on D.

Jarry
DeSmith

Haven't had a lineup this good since 2016 and I think this one is better. Of course 2016 team went to two game 7's so even a great team can lose with one bad bounce. Sometimes they can just lose terribly such as the dominant Tampa team that ran away with the best record only to get swept in round 1 just two years ago. So while I love this team it still not a great chance of winning it all. That can be said for any of the top contenders which I believe we are one of them.

Fatty McLardy

Oct 6, 2017
He's got another week to rest so hopefully Tanev and Matheson are ready for game 1. All put this roster against any team. Doesn't guarantee anything but definitely a top contender.

Guentzel-Crosby-Rust
Zucker-Malkin-Kapanen
McCann-Carter-Gaudreau
ZAR-Blueger-Tanev
Erod next man in

Dumoulin-Letang
Matheson-Ceci
Pettersson-Marino
Several injury options available on D.

Jarry
DeSmith

Haven't had a lineup this good since 2016 and I think this one is better. Of course 2016 team went to two game 7's so even a great team can lose with one bad bounce. Sometimes they can just lose terribly such as the dominant Tampa team that ran away with the best record only to get swept in round 1 just two years ago. So while I love this team it still not a great chance of winning it all. That can be said for any of the top contenders which I believe we are one of them.

Crosby and Malkin were much better in 2016, that alone is a massive difference.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
Malkin also had two good complements on the wing and a bum shoulder rather than a bum knee.

And no offense to our current line 3, but they're not HBK.

Thats cause theyre better! :sarcasm:

In all honestly I see Carter being a real ace in the hole. I think hes the 3rd line center weve been all craving since Bonino.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Thats cause theyre better! :sarcasm:

In all honestly I see Carter being a real ace in the hole. I think hes the 3rd line center weve been all craving since Bonino.

L3 numbers have been insane GF 100% (6 for, 0 against), xGF 59.02% and this is with 25% offensive zone face-offs . Plus they out chance and out HD chance their opponents comfortably.

Small sample size of 39 5v5 minutes (so probably 4 games worth) but **** me those are some crazy numbers. The craziest of all is 30% on-ice S%!

Reactions: Zirakzigil

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->