Olympics: Commercial on Sportsnet RE: Lineups

HawkeyFanatic

Dec 15, 2007
N/A
there is a commercial airing on rogers sportsnet as a promo for the olympics. a video that you can buy with "never before seen" footage of yzerman and babcock and other making the selections..

that being said, there is a white board up and yzerman is pointing at it (writing and erasing), and on this board there is line combinations for the olympics.. and they are like this:

Staal - Crosby - Bergeron
Nash - Getzlaf - Perry
Marleau - Thorton - Heatley
Morrow - Toews - Iginla
Carter

obviously this is nothing official, but it was nice insight into what they are thinking... and i think its a pretty good lineup

Last edited:

bictron

Jul 31, 2005
Tracy, CA
there is a commercial airing on rogers sportsnet as a promo for the olympics. a video that you can buy with "never before seen" footage of yzerman and babcock and other making the selections..

that being said, there is a white board up and yzerman is point at it, and on this board there is line combinations for the olympics.. and they are like this:

Nash - Getzlaf - Perry
Morrow - Toews - Iginla
Carter

obviously this is nothing official, but it was nice insight into what they are thinking... and i think its a pretty good lineup

Focusing on this line, I really like it. I wouldn't mind if it was Perry-Crosby-Bergeron because when they were together during the World Juniors back in 2005, they dominated that year. But with Staal, it adds another element on strength and speed.

Kitten Mittons

Nov 18, 2007
What happened to Richards? The 4th line should be Morrow - Richards - Iginla.

I like the first and second lines. Seem very balanced.

Ironslave

May 22, 2008
Interesting, I know that Bob McKenzie reported that Jeff Carter was close to making the team at the 11th hour, maybe they were down to Carter or Richards for 13th forward and went with Richards?

Surprised to see they'd break up Crosby and Nash, but Staal would be a pretty damn good fit with Crosby as well, plus I know that Nash and Getzlaf work well together. It wouldn't surprise me one bit to see this as the forward combinations, maybe switching Nash and Staal.

tony d

New poll series coming from me on June 3
Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Good to see them planning to keep that San Jose line together. I still think they go with Nash-Crosby-Iginla as the first line though.

BlackAces*

that being said, there is a white board up and yzerman is pointing at it (writing and erasing), and on this board there is line combinations for the olympics.. and they are like this:

Nash - Getzlaf - Perry
Morrow - Toews - Iginla
Carter

Seems strange, given Richards is missing, and Carter isn't on the team.

wpgyotes

Bye Bryz
Jul 6, 2006
Is the promo for that "Hockey Powers" show that has featured other Olympic teams in the buildup to naming their teams? I think it's a look inside the war room during discussions, so obviously they opted for Richards after the video was done.

Those are really well done... loved the feature on Finland. Went overseas for their orientation, good bunch of guys.

Ironslave

May 22, 2008
I thought Carter wasnt on the team?

Seems strange, given Richards is missing, and Carter isn't on the team.

He isn't, but it's not strange at all. It was rumored that Jeff Carter was in very close contention to make the team all the way until the last minute. This was probably a clip from during the selection process before they announced the team of a potential line up, NOT the line up after the team was already picked. Looks like they decided to go with Richards over Carter.

Kitten Mittons

Nov 18, 2007
Looks like they decided to go with Richards over Carter.
Why? They got the same amount of goals and pretty much points too, except Richards is good defensively.

Also, holy hell - I never knew Carter is a center... always thought he was a wing.

Ironslave

May 22, 2008
Why? They got the same amount of goals and pretty much points too, except Richards is good defensively.

Also, holy hell - I never knew Carter is a center... always thought he was a wing.

huh? I'm not questioning the selection of Richards over Carter... just saying that it appears that Yzerman and Co. were deciding between the two of them for the 13th forward spot, which would make sense, and would seem to make the original poster's projected line up seem to have merit.

Kitten Mittons

Nov 18, 2007
huh? I'm not questioning the selection of Richards over Carter... just saying that it appears that Yzerman and Co. were deciding between the two of them for the 13th forward spot, which would make sense, and would seem to make the original poster's projected line up seem to have merit.
I wasn't talking about you. I was questioning Y's choice.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad