Coming to philly for the first time HELP!

David St Hubbins

Well, you're not as confused as he is.
Jan 24, 2016
Deskfront, facing WSW
Uber is going to be your best bet for transportation.

I recommend the Reading Terminal Market -- That's always a fun place to go where you can get reasonably priced food. If you want a cheesesteak, Jim's on South st is my favorite well known place. The observation deck is cool if you get a clear day. Eastern State Penitentiary is fascinating. The Art Museum is cool (with the Rocky stairs).

Hope you have a good time!

Jims and Reading Terminal are winners. But make sure you get an Italian Pork and Broccoli Rab sandwich with sharp provolone. THAT is the real Philly sandwich.

You can do the art Museum, Franklin Institute and Eastern State on one swing. A little walking and an Uber will do it. MAybe hit Boat House Row/Kelly drive if you dont mind being out in the chill air.

And just for kicks, take a stroll through the italian market in South Philly.

CSKA1974

Feb 10, 2010
Flyerville
Jims and Reading Terminal are winners. But make sure you get an Italian Pork and Broccoli Rab sandwich with sharp provolone. THAT is the real Philly sandwich.

You can do the art Museum, Franklin Institute and Eastern State on one swing. A little walking and an Uber will do it. MAybe hit Boat House Row/Kelly drive if you dont mind being out in the chill air.

And just for kicks, take a stroll through the italian market in South Philly.
If you are into arts- Rodin museum and Barnes foundation are really cool. They are next to each other on Ben Franklin parkway. They both were privately collected. Barnes is one of the largest (if not the largest) collection of Impressionism. You will need an advanced reservation to visit it.

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
If you are into arts- Rodin museum and Barnes foundation are really cool. They are next to each other on Ben Franklin parkway. They both were privately collected. Barnes is one of the largest (if not the largest) collection of Impressionism. You will need an advanced reservation to visit it.

Heavily recommend visiting the Barnes if you have even the slightest bit of interest in art, especially impressionism. It's an absolutely mind-blowing experience. You're walking around a recreation of the interior of an actual guy's house, and there's literally hundreds of Renoirs, Cezannes, Monets, Picassos, Van Goghs, etc. covering every square inch of wall.

Audible Velvet

Jul 9, 2015
Philthadelphia
I've never been the Barnes myself, so thanks for the heads up on that. Also, Rankka, restating to message if you want to catch up somewhere. It would be a good excuse to get off of my curmudgeonly ass and do something in town. Never met someone from your country in person and that's a shame.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
The Barnes is every bit as mindblowing as it sounds and is undoubtedly worth your time. I used to go out to Merion to see it once a year, but now that it's a couple of blocks from my office, I pop in a couple of times a month on lunch.

Also, yes on the pork sandwich. Always yes on the pork sandwich.

*Edit* If you're into such things, the Mütter Museum is popular for a reason too.

Last edited:

RANKKA

Give Glaude the world
Apr 11, 2017
EU
I've never been the Barnes myself, so thanks for the heads up on that. Also, Rankka, restating to message if you want to catch up somewhere. It would be a good excuse to get off of my curmudgeonly ass and do something in town. Never met someone from your country in person and that's a shame.
im down to what ever, someone showing town/eating places what ever!

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
If you're into such things, the Mütter Museum is popular for a reason too.

I'm far too squeamish to appreciate the Mutter, but my wife once oddly thought that it would be a good idea to pop in and walk around with my then 6 year old daughter. She's still traumatized and she's in high school now. All she remembers is the baby with a "hairy meatball" on its chest.

Last edited:

Phillyfan28

Jun 3, 2013
Don't go to Pats or Genos or I'll move to have you removed from forum. Joking. But seriously.

Cheesesteak options:

Jim's Steaks
400 South St, Philadelphia, PA 19147

Tony Lukes
39 E Oregon Ave, Philadelphia, PA 19148

Reactions: RANKKA

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
Don't go to Pats or Genos or I'll move to have you removed from forum. Joking. But seriously.

Cheesesteak options:

Jim's Steaks

Tony Lukes

Fun thing with Jim's...if you're on South Street and want to eat a good cheesesteak, but don't want to stand in long-ish line, and want to eat said cheesesteak in a warm bar with TVs while drinking beer, the bar directly across the street from Jim's (Milkboy) has an arrangement where you can order it from there and they'll bring it over.

Now, I highly recommend the whole line/ordering experience at a real cheesesteak shop for the hell of it, but it's nice to just have the option.

Ruck Over

When the revolution comes, pants will do you no gd
Apr 19, 2016
Philadelphia, Pa

Cheesesteak options:

Jim's Steaks

Tony Lukes

If you're willing to travel

Dalessandro's Steaks
600 Wendover St, Philadelphia, PA 19128

John's Roast Pork (Pork, obvi, or steaks)
14 Snyder Ave, Philadelphia, PA 19148

Shank's Original
901 S Christopher Columbus Blvd, Philadelphia, PA 19147

I confirm the trash status of Pat's & Geno's.

RANKKA

Give Glaude the world
Apr 11, 2017
EU
OK home now,

Trip went well saw 6NHL games and 2NBA, the city of philly and little NYC!

HUGE thanks to @Audible Velvet and @flyersjim73 for hanging out!!

everyone who has read this and are going to go in US especially from EU hit me up with anything would love to help out!!

Im sure i'll be back.

asdasd.png

flyersjim73

Nov 19, 2011
Philly
OK home now,

Trip went well saw 6NHL games and 2NBA, the city of philly and little NYC!

HUGE thanks to @Audible Velvet and @flyersjim73 for hanging out!!

everyone who has read this and are going to go in US especially from EU hit me up with anything would love to help out!!

Im sure i'll be back.

View attachment 186417

I’m sure you have your own personal favorite moments, but MY favorite moment of YOUR trip was after the Flyers just beat the Oilers in overtime, we had several beers and a shot, and were staring at the dancers at XFinity. After about 20 seconds of silence you looked around and said “I feel like one of those make a wish children. Dreams do come true.”

They sure do man... they sure do.

It was fun hanging out with you - let me know if you come back in town.

RANKKA

Give Glaude the world
Apr 11, 2017
EU
I’m sure you have your own personal favorite moments, but MY favorite moment of YOUR trip was after the Flyers just beat the Oilers in overtime, we had several beers and a shot, and were staring at the dancers at XFinity. After about 20 seconds of silence you looked around and said “I feel like one of those make a wish children. Dreams do come true.”

They sure do man... they sure do.

It was fun hanging out with you - let me know if you come back in town.
yea after that first game and how it went i was so in cloud9 felt like crying

gertbfrobe16

Feb 3, 2018
glad you had a great time and got home safely. next losing streak, i'm blaming you though, for having to leave lol. JK.

Reactions: RANKKA

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->