Coming to philly for the first time HELP!

RANKKA

Give Glaude the world
Apr 11, 2017
EU
Hello fellow flyers fan from Finland here!

I plan to make my first trip to USA on the end of january or somewhere around there for like 2weeks or so

So what am i asking is:

-anything that you think is helpful
-tickets to matches where to buy and when?
-places/place to stay? airbnb? someone here wanna accommodate me? anything is helpful
-how to get from place a to b in philly? uber? ??

My plan now is to fly to NYC and watch that NYR-PHI (jan 29) game and then come to philly, with what i don't know (train?).

Games i plan to see in philly:
Feb 2 vs EDMONTON
feb 4 vs VANCOUVER
feb 7 vs LOS ANGELES
feb 9 vs ANAHEIM
feb 11vs PITTSBURGH

and i would like to see NBA games too there is 76sers vs Lakers then (feb 10)

HELP!

Audible Velvet

Jul 9, 2015
Philthadelphia
I tend to buy on stub hub right before the games. You can get some pretty good deals that way.
The prices vary quite a bit depending on factors such as opponent, record etc.
Others on here may have better ways, but it's a start for you.
Message if you want to meet before a game and have a warm up beer on me!

Reactions: RANKKA

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
My plan now is to fly to NYC and watch that NYR-PHI (jan 29) game and then come to philly, with what i don't know (train?).

The train is super easy. You can take Amtrak from the major train station at the center of NYC (directly under Madison Square Garden) to the Philadelphia equivalent without a connection in an hour and a half or less.

You're looking for a train from New York Penn Station (station code NYP) to Philadelphia 30th St (PHL). The regular trains (Northeast Regional, Keystone, Carolinian, etc) all get you there in roughly the same amount of time and there's no appreciable difference. Those trains mostly all have Coach and Business Class. Anything marked "Acela Express" is a newer, more expensive train that only has Business and First Class and ends up saving you about 20 Minutes on the average. You'll get a better rate if you buy at least 2 weeks in advance.

I make this round trip every week and have lived in both places. If you run into any problems, feel free to PM me.

VladDrag

Feb 6, 2018
Uber is going to be your best bet for transportation.

I recommend the Reading Terminal Market -- That's always a fun place to go where you can get reasonably priced food. If you want a cheesesteak, Jim's on South st is my favorite well known place. The observation deck is cool if you get a clear day. Eastern State Penitentiary is fascinating. The Art Museum is cool (with the Rocky stairs).

Hope you have a good time!

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
Airbnb will also be much cheaper than a hotel. Look for something in Center City. That’s where all the fun is and you’ll have a ton of options to rent from depending on your budget. Also, it’s a straight shot to the arena with the subway.

kudymen

Hakstok was a fascist clique hiver lickballs.gif
Jun 18, 2011
Atlanta (Decatur)

I plan to make my first trip to USA on the end of january or somewhere around there for like 2weeks or so

So what am i asking is:

-places/place to stay? airbnb? someone here wanna accommodate me? anything is helpful

Feb 2 vs EDMONTON
feb 4 vs VANCOUVER
feb 7 vs LOS ANGELES
feb 9 vs ANAHEIM
feb 11vs PITTSBURGH

HELP!

Good luck, I will watch this thread very carefully because some airline started direct flights from Prague to Philadelphia earlier this year - and I had intention to do such trip too

BigToe

Robocop sucks
Jan 6, 2018
Philly
I tend to buy on stub hub right before the games. You can get some pretty good deals that way.
The prices vary quite a bit depending on factors such as opponent, record etc.
Others on here may have better ways, but it's a start for you.
Message if you want to meet before a game and have a warm up beer on me!
Idk why I never thought of this. :facepalm:

PHILOUDELPHIA

Feb 29, 2012
South Jersey NJ

So what am i asking is:

Feb 2 vs EDMONTON
feb 4 vs VANCOUVER
feb 7 vs LOS ANGELES
feb 9 vs ANAHEIM
feb 11vs PITTSBURGH

HELP!

From NYC you can take Amtrak or NJ Transit . Once in Philly, Uber and Septa will be your friend, with you planning to stay for a month it seems, I'd get a February Monthly Septa Pass which will let you ride all forms of transportation for the month. The Broad Street Subway is the best way to get to the Stadium area and Center City.

While your up in NYC if you can get to Times square on 44th between 6th and 7th ave is my Fav BBQ place Virgils,

Trust me you won't be dissapointed.

Reactions: FlyTimmo and RANKKA

RANKKA

Give Glaude the world
Apr 11, 2017
EU
From NYC you can take Amtrak or NJ Transit . Once in Philly, Uber and Septa will be your friend, with you planning to stay for a month it seems, I'd get a February Monthly Septa Pass which will let you ride all forms of transportation for the month. The Broad Street Subway is the best way to get to the Stadium area and Center City.

While your up in NYC if you can get to Times square on 44th between 6th and 7th ave is my Fav BBQ place Virgils,

thanks! yea i will be 3days in NYC and will be staying in Times square so i will go check that out! will only be 10-12 days in philly not a month!

wankstifier

All glory to the harvest god
Jun 19, 2018

Is that half of a raw white onion?

Reactions: PHILOUDELPHIA

RANKKA

Give Glaude the world
Apr 11, 2017
EU
Could someone tell me the best place to go watch away games in philly?

Ruck Over

When the revolution comes, pants will do you no gd
Apr 19, 2016
Philadelphia, Pa
Fox & Hound (15th & Spruce) is a chain sports bar. They will likely have the highest number of tvs to space in Center City.

On South St. I recommend O'neals. They have an upstairs which if quiet/slow enough, they're accomodating to change tv channels. They're a/the home bar for the Steelers fans, so they're used to folks requesting sporting events. And a shout out to Tir Na Nog, another Irish bar, whom I know have some more extensive tv packages because they'll air rugby world cup games, other international flavor things too (soccer).

Edit: Some great dive bars (in order of pref)- Dirty Frank's, Oscar's, Rotten Ralph's, Ray's Happy Birthday Bar, McGlinchey's

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa

I dont know of any real bars in the city that have viewing parties or anything. Xfinity Live outside the stadium i believe shows all the away games though, and would be a short walk off the NRG station(last stop) of the Broad Street Line. Fox and Hound, while far from my favorite bar, could be a good spot as well.

As for the rest, its mostly been covered but - Amtrak is your best bet in getting from NY to Philly, especially if youre coming down after the game. Youll also have a good chance of seeing the Flyers as well, as they take a chartered Amtrak train from Penn Station back to 30th shortly after the game. I used to work for the company that did all the logistics for Amtrak's food and beverage, so i was always contemplating showing up when they would pull in, but didnt want to risk it. ( @JojoTheWhale how much did you despise the food on the trains? :sarcasm:)

It may not be of great interest, but i would definitel recommend spending at least a little bit of time down by Independence Hall, etc. While it may not be 'your' history, theres a lot of really cool and neat things to check out down there (liberty bell included), and it only takes a few hours to see it all.

Airbnb is your best bet, hotels(decent ones) can get pricey, but you definitely want to be in the Center City area. the downtown area is very walkable, and has a few different trains (Septa and patco) that can take you across it with ease as well. You wont have to wait long for an uber/lyft either, and they are decently priced.

iceman42

May 7, 2003
Enfield, NH
So I can give you some advice on where to stay and some of the transportation questions.
I have weekend season tix (usually 10-11-12 games a year) and I live in NH I work for a firm in NYC but telecommute most of the time.
When I am in the city I will take the Amtrack train from NY to Philly and then get a cab to wherever I am staying, otherwise, I am driving the 7 hours.

Location, location, location.
I have done AirBnb and Hotels alike. We try and get an AirBnb between Snyder and Oregon Aves off of Broad St. The area is great and has great local fare usually within walking distance and depending on where you are at and the weather its a nice stroll to WFC -- like ~ 2 miles. Otherwise I am usually at one of the Sheraton hotels by the airport, they have three properties and its a 7-minute uber ride from there to the WFC, not much to look at there and the walk could kill you as there are a few sketchy sections where the sidewalk is meh.

Transportation.
I rarely drive to the game, unless I am staying with my parents over in Quarryville, the parking and Uber cost usually offset so its nicer to not have the hassle of parking and dealing with traffic. After the game, I would suggest that if you are taking an Uber you go over near the Eagles practice facility or to the other side of the street from Xfinity Live and call the Uber. Do Not call the Uber from around the facility its crazy and they will likely drop your request or you'll sit in traffic after they pick you up.

RANKKA

Give Glaude the world
Apr 11, 2017
EU
So I can give you some advice on where to stay and some of the transportation questions.
I have weekend season tix (usually 10-11-12 games a year) and I live in NH I work for a firm in NYC but telecommute most of the time.
When I am in the city I will take the Amtrack train from NY to Philly and then get a cab to wherever I am staying, otherwise, I am driving the 7 hours.

Location, location, location.
I have done AirBnb and Hotels alike. We try and get an AirBnb between Snyder and Oregon Aves off of Broad St. The area is great and has great local fare usually within walking distance and depending on where you are at and the weather its a nice stroll to WFC -- like ~ 2 miles. Otherwise I am usually at one of the Sheraton hotels by the airport, they have three properties and its a 7-minute uber ride from there to the WFC, not much to look at there and the walk could kill you as there are a few sketchy sections where the sidewalk is meh.

Transportation.
I rarely drive to the game, unless I am staying with my parents over in Quarryville, the parking and Uber cost usually offset so its nicer to not have the hassle of parking and dealing with traffic. After the game, I would suggest that if you are taking an Uber you go over near the Eagles practice facility or to the other side of the street from Xfinity Live and call the Uber. Do Not call the Uber from around the facility its crazy and they will likely drop your request or you'll sit in traffic after they pick you up.
thanks im sure to take Amtrack

i already have airbnb in south philly cause i dont really plan to be there rather than sleep and it was very cheap

yea im not driving myself, prob gonna uber alot

flyersjim73

Nov 19, 2011
Philly

Chickie and Pete’s on Packer Ave. Down near the stadiums. If it’s not a great crowd you can always go over to xfinity a few blocks away, but it is usually is and the prices and food are pretty good.

flyersjim73

Nov 19, 2011
Philly
I’m at almost every game as well, so let me know if you want to meet up for a drink and/or some food.

-Jim

Danko

You have no marbles
Jul 28, 2004
Stay at the loews hotel which is right next to the reading terminal market, subway stops, and a bunch of restaraunts like iron hill brewery and even a wawa. Denics roast pork with provolone at the market and then go to iron hill for some beers.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->