Coming Next Season: Possibly a much better CHL Import Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
With the 7-years pro till you're UFA rule, this is going to make things alot more difficult for prospects. Teams won't keep prospects unless they're sure-fire NHLers, and there will probably be little young talent in the minors, as that counts against it. It should make for a better CHL, where there are alot of great overagers, but it could mean for a much more meaningful CHL Import Draft.

Think of it this way. NHL teams probably won't sign alot of prospects, so they don't become a UFA at age 25. But, some European prospects need to learn the NA game a bit better. Alot of teams will probably be sending Europeans to the CHL, mainly so they don't have to waist a year out of those 7 having them in the AHL learning the game. This year, there won't be much effect, as alot of the better players weren't taken. Alot of players will likely head to the CHL, unless they make their NHL clubs, and the first big name might be Anze Kopitar. I may be a Pats fan, and he said he'll remain in Sweden, but come draft day, the team that drafted him may inform him they want him in Regina next season, adapting to the NA game. I know for fact there are some teams that would've done it before, and with this new rule, that number will likely increase. Brent Parker only made the pick because he thought anyone else would be useless, but he may look pretty good for it if Kopitar doesn't make the NHL.

But next year would be great. Alot of the top prospects going higher, instead of solid guys that want to play in NA, which is how a draft should be. This makes for a better CHL, and much more competition all around.

Free Edler

Enjoy retirement, boys.
Feb 27, 2002
Surrey, BC
Well, keep in mind that most prospects don't make their pro debut until after their 20th birthday, and isn't it a rule that any player drafted from the CHL can't play in the AHL until he's 20 anyway (although I think this rule was removed this season)?

So, in theory, the team will have unrestricted rights to a player for seven years, ending when he is 27, not 25. And by then, you'll know if you've got something in a player or not.

I think the 'age 25 UFA' that the CBA is throwing out there will make it much tougher for 18-year-olds to play in the NHL. Teams won't want to lose their top prospects, so they'll keep them in the CHL longer, making for a much more competitive league. :yo:

Last edited:

ZombieMatt

May 20, 2002
I think this 25-year old UFA business is greatly being overhyped.

It's going to effect 2-3 guys per draft year, this is not a huge deal. We all keep forgetting that it's uncommon for a player to be drafted and then immediately jump to the show.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
Matt MacInnis said:
I think this 25-year old UFA business is greatly being overhyped.

It's going to effect 2-3 guys per draft year, this is not a huge deal. We all keep forgetting that it's uncommon for a player to be drafted and then immediately jump to the show.

It affects Euros, as jumping to the AHL counts against that seven years. It's seven years professionally, not 7 years in the bigs. What I'm saying is alot of Euros may end up in the CHL because alot of teams want them to learn the NA game, and don't want to waist one or two of those 7 years doing that. And that we'll see a fair bit more players staying in the CHL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad