Post-Game Talk: Coming Home Up 3 Games To 1 - Jets 2 Wild 0

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
We usually agree, but not in this case. Trouba has been horrendous. His skating and his decision making have been terrible.

CF 27
CA 16
+11
CF 62.8%

The stats support my opinion. He must be doing something right. I'll take this every time.

BTW halfway through rewatching the game and my opinion hasn't changed. The Jets are actually playing better than I remember when I watched it live.

LucianoBorsato

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
A little late to this party I only watched the highlights unfortunately but I'm glad to see that true to form Hellebuyck bounced back from a subpar performance with a monster one. Great gut check by the team in general and a huge road win.

While Morrisey is generally a very clean player and not i believe him when he says it wasn't intentional, that cross check just looks awful in the replays. I think he needs to be suspended. I even kind of hope he does because if he isn't suspended, after the end of game 2 shenanigans I could see Boudreau put bounties on the heads of our top players in retaliation. As a result game 5 could be really ugly and get out of hand. And worse we could lose some important players.

I kind of agree with you, Boudreau is going to get his pound of flesh either way, it would be much better to have Morrissey out suspended for a game then to have him out for the rest of the playoffs due to goon tactics.

However, enjoy chewing on your meat Mr. Boudreau after your first round exit. Make it last a long time, I feel your days may be numbered as a head coach.

Reactions: ERYX and GNP

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
Yup, agree. Should have been a 2 minute penalty. Staal didn't even miss a shift. League should review it and conclude that it was a missed penalty - no suspension.

Now I think that all posters would agree that shoulder to head checking, knee capping, head butting and face pounding of defenseless players shouldn't happen either and should be addressed by the league. What about Boudreau sending out his goon squad at the end of G2, and Winnick beating the crap out of Tanev, a guy that weighs 30 pounds less than him, including face punches while he is on the ground turtled. What about Foligno's head shot on Trouba. What about Foligno's knee capping of Myers - out for a game, maybe the series, maybe the year. What about the head butt last night on Chairot. That's why I am so pissed off at Boudreau and his whining. The level of hypocrisy is off the chart with Boudreau given his smug response about Foligno and his Tony Harding job on Myers - 'they fell down' <giggle>. But hey, he is lobbying for a suspension of Morrissey because he knows that they can't beat us straight up.

Hey Florida Jet -- how do I disagree with you and still stay friends with you on this board ??- I don't know ?? but I want the Jet's to win as much as you do.

I think your taking a very "subjective" position here, as I don't think the Wild guy "intentionally" tried to hurt Myers, as he didn't go into the boards that hard. Also Tanev did not have to fight Winnik, but chose to anyways, and got his ass kicked. They both got penalties, according to the rules. I do agree it was an unfair fight, but I have seen smaller guys beat up guys a lot bigger than they are. Tanev could have skated away --and likely should have.

In summary, I think your embellishing your points quite a bit here. I didn't see the head butt on Chiarot, but I do agree those things should be called as well. I don't know what they'll do, but I do appreciate you taking a "firm position" and defending our Jet's hockey team -- but I think you have to police the game properly.

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
Kouleas and Johnson on xm now saying they don't think morrissey will be suspended.

grieves

silent prayer
Apr 27, 2016
Kouleas and Johnson on xm now saying they don't think morrissey will be suspended.

It wasn't intentional and Staal did not miss a shift. He won't be suspended.

They know Mini-Mo knows you don't cross-check people in the neck. Maybe a small fine for negligence but even that would accomplish nothing.

Reactions: Eyeseeing

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015

Maybe a small fine, but they know Mini-Mo knows you don't cross-check people in the neck. Maybe a small fine for negligence.
Exactly....
It was a missed 2 minute penalty
Staal milked it good....
No marks, no redness nothing
I’d be disappointed with a suspension

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
Exactly....
It was a missed 2 minute penalty
Staal milked it good....
No marks, no redness nothing
I’d be disappointed with a suspension
People preach not punishing based on result but the action, until it's their own player who's in danger to get suspended.

Everyone defending the crosscheck is being ridiculous. If a Jet was hit like that this board would love to see the culprits head on a spike.

"Not intentional". Blaa blaa. A player is responsible for his stick.

I hate the double standard when it comes to our guy doing something illegal vs. their guy doing something illegal.

Jetsfan87

Aug 24, 2015
Ontario
First off, was a great game, physical, tight, lots of chances for both sides.
I have one issue that isnt really an issue but something that keeps drawing my attention. Does anyone else feel Wheeler should shoot the puck more? I know he is a great player, great passer but I feel like teams are giving him the shot and he is passing. The 2 on 1 with Ehlers, I know he was trying to get ehlers the puck in tight but I feel like Wheeler was looking pass the entire time, and did the same with Schef earlier in the series. Im not complaining because we are playing good hockey and winning but at least look at the goalie/fake a shot. Or couldve shot low at the outside pad to give Ehlers a chance at a rebound.

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
People preach not punishing based on result but the action, until it's their own player who's in danger to get suspended.

Everyone defending the crosscheck is being ridiculous. If a Jet was hit like that this board would love to see the culprits head on a spike.

How many high sticking penalties are suspensions? They by definition target the head and the head is the principle point of contact. It's not so black and white as you say

IMO a suspension comes from "intent to injure" in these sort of infractions. Not from simply being careless

I also have no doubt if it happened to a Jet player there would be outrage on this board. I would not be one calling for a suspension if that were the case though.

GNP

Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg

They know Mini-Mo knows you don't cross-check people in the neck. Maybe a small fine for negligence but even that would accomplish nothing.

I wonder ??? should the league be policing these things on whether or not the player missed a shift ?-- or the "act itself" . If , lets say he cross checked a guy in the face, broke his jaw, and took out 5 teeth --everyone would agree on a suspension. What if he cross checked a guy in the face--dazed him temporarily, but the guy was not seriously hurt. What then do you do ??- as they were both the same acts of intent.

In this case should one guy get off scott free, because he didn't damage the guy ??

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

I hate the double standard when it comes to our guy doing something illegal vs. their guy doing something illegal.

The double standard only exists because the DOPS has a precident of disciplining based on the result. Until they change their criteria and start suspending all similiar cross checks accordingly then Morrissey should get what others who have done similiar have gotten and that seems to be a fine. For the record I don't like the cross check and think he should get something for it. But I also think Fogliano should have had to answer for his head shot on Trouba and punch to Myers as well. Or Nino should answer for his head shot. Suspend all or none. This picking and choosing is what is annoying.

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida

Hey Florida Jet -- how do I disagree with you and still stay friends with you on this board ??- I don't know ?? but I want the Jet's to win as much as you do.

I think your taking a very "subjective" position here, as I don't think the Wild guy "intentionally" tried to hurt Myers, as he didn't go into the boards that hard. Also Tanev did not have to fight Winnik, but chose to anyways, and got his ass kicked. They both got penalties, according to the rules. I do agree it was an unfair fight, but I have seen smaller guys beat up guys a lot bigger than they are. Tanev could have skated away --and likely should have.

In summary, I think your embellishing your points quite a bit here. I didn't see the head butt on Chiarot, but I do agree those things should be called as well. I don't know what they'll do, but I do appreciate you taking a "firm position" and defending our Jet's hockey team -- but I think you have to police the game properly.

We can disagree and remain friends. No problem. I don't make or take things personal here.

Yes, I am taking a subjective position - this is an opinion board. To me, the video shows Foligno throwing a lateral punch at Myers knee. Could I be wrong, yes but I am not the only one that sees that. To me, if you target a knee in hockey there has to be an objective and it isn't a good one. My issue with Winnik is that he was laying punches on Tanev when he was defenseless on the ground after Tanev had capitulated. My issue with Foligno's hit on Trouba is that the first and only point of contact on that hit was Foligno's shoulder to Trouba's head. I don't think that is even in question. The head butt didn't look bad when I saw it initially the game, but on the replay posted here, you can see Chairot's head snap back quite a bit. A head butt is a penalty and is also reviewable for suspension. Chairot wasn't injured so I wouldn't see a suspension, but a penalty was missed - like the Morrissey penalty was missed, like the Foligno penalties were missed.

All of this stuff is in the past and the only reason I am bringing these incidents up is because of Boudreau and his post game presser. He stated that they lost the game because of the missed call on the Morrissey cross check, and he is lobbying for a suspension of Morrissey. I am pointing out that this is not the only thing that was missed in this series and is not the only thing that could be looked at for suspension. But Boudreau has been successful at having the entire hockey world talking about a suspension for Morrissey. That does not bode well for Josh.

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
How many high sticking penalties are suspensions? They by definition target the head and the head is the principle point of contact. It's not so black and white as you say

IMO a suspension comes from "intent to injure" in these sort of infractions. Not from simply being careless
I'm not advocating for Morrissey to get suspended. He doesn't have any history of doing dirty shit so give him a slap on the wrist and get on with it. The least the could've done it was give a penalty, but they didn't, and that's on the refs being garbage. But if he were to get a one game suspension i don't think people should act as if it fell out of the clear blue sky.

If it was someone like Marchand doing this he'd sit many games, i can guarantee you.

As to when it comes to high sticking... I'm pretty sure players have sat games after the ugly ones.

Evil Little

Jan 22, 2014
If Morrissey get suspended and it's a big if ,then Maurice has to question the head butt by Neideritter after the fact.

That's Cheveldayoff's job and, rest assured, he'll let them know his feelings.

The 'not intentional' defence is what made punching a guy's legs out from under him okay two days ago.

Reactions: Jetfaninflorida

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
I'm not advocating for Morrissey to get suspended. He doesn't have any history of doing dirty **** so give him a slap on the wrist and get on with it. The least the could've done it was give a penalty, but they didn't, and that's on the refs being garbage.

If it was someone like Marchand doing this he'd sit 5 games, i can guarantee you.

It most certainly deserved to be a penalty, perhaps even a borderline major. I think he gets fined, but I don't see a suspendable offense.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I'm not advocating for Morrissey to get suspended. He doesn't have any history of doing dirty **** so give him a slap on the wrist and get on with it. The least the could've done it was give a penalty, but they didn't, and that's on the refs being garbage.

If it was someone like Marchand doing this he'd sit many games, i can guarantee you.

No he wouldn't because their are exhbits of him cross checking players in the face that have been posted. One happened two weeks ago and zero suspension.

Reactions: Evil Little

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014

I doubt Marchand gets 5 games for doing that, he got absolutely nothing for his wicked crosscheck against the Flyers. His past history also weighs heavily in any decision with him as well, he's a repeat offender, Morrissey isn't.

It was a penalty, I don't see it as a suspension, he wasn't targeting Staal's head with the intent to injure him, shit happens sometimes.

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida

Not sure who is defending the cross check. It was irresponsible and a missed penalty. The debate that I see is around it being suspension worthy, and around the other significant incidents in the series that were missed calls and possible suspensions as well.

GNP

Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
We can disagree and remain friends. No problem. I don't make or take things personal here.

Yes, I am taking a subjective position - this is an opinion board. To me, the video shows Foligno throwing a lateral punch at Myers knee. Could I be wrong, yes but I am not the only one that sees that. To me, if you target a knee in hockey there has to be an objective and it isn't a good one. My issue with Winnik is that he was laying punches on Tanev when he was defenseless on the ground after Tanev had capitulated. My issue with Foligno's hit on Trouba is that the first and only point of contact on that hit was Foligno's shoulder to Trouba's head. I don't think that is even in question. The head butt didn't look bad when I saw it initially the game, but on the replay posted here, you can see Chairot's head snap back quite a bit. A head butt is a penalty and is also reviewable for suspension. Chairot wasn't injured so I wouldn't see a suspension, but a penalty was missed - like the Morrissey penalty was missed, like the Foligno penalties were missed.

All of this stuff is in the past and the only reason I am bringing these incidents up is because of Boudreau and his post game presser. He stated that they lost the game because of the missed call on the Morrissey cross check, and he is lobbying for a suspension of Morrissey. I am pointing out that this is not the only thing that was missed in this series and is not the only thing that could be looked at for suspension. But Boudreau has been successful at having the entire hockey world talking about a suspension for Morrissey. That does not bode well for Josh.

Well, I do see your points, and your justification for them Florida Jet, and of course it would be great to stay friends with a "great poster like you."

I can see why they have to have a "separate, unbiased committee"--to make these decisions, as emotions run very high with "team loyalty." ;)

In the end here -- I think the Jet's will prevail and move forward.

Reactions: Jetfaninflorida

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
I doubt Marchand gets 5 games for doing that, he got absolutely nothing for his wicked crosscheck against the Flyers. His past history also weighs heavily in any decision with him as well, he's a repeat offender, Morrissey isn't.

It was a penalty, I don't see it as a suspension, he wasn't targeting Staal's head with the intent to injure him, **** happens sometimes.
Well, it's not like Morrissey just tripped up and Staal happened to be there, receiving a stick to the head. Morrissey looks up all the way until he hits him, so unless he has some serious hand-to-eye coordination problems, it wasn't exactly an accident.

What is he targeting if not the head? Like...in what scenario does this not hit Staal in the neck / head area?

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
I'd be upset if someone did what Morrissey did to one of our guys, especially if there was no call. I still wouldn't be going all hysterical about a suspension, it simply didn't deserve one. Had Stall been in front of the net and Morrissey crosschecked him in the back of the head, after the whistle, that would be a different story. This happened during play and I honestly believe Morrissey misjudged where he hit him, he had his eye on Staal and the puck at the same time, Staal moved slightly and Morrissey's stick caught him higher than he would have liked.

Reactions: GNP

Sammy225

Aug 9, 2011
With a hearing for JoMo and Nico getting sent back to the moose that must mean that either Toby or Tyler (or both for that matter) are ready to go.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad