Comets' Shinkaruk hopes for NHL reunion soon with friend Horvat

HF Article

Nov 16, 2005
hunter_shinkaruk_utica_110714.jpg
Photo: Utica Comets forward and Vancouver Canucks prospect Hunter Shinkaruk (#9) played in just 18 WHL games in the 2013-14 season for the Medicine Hat Tigers (courtesy of Frank Jansky/Icon Sportswire)

Little did the Vancouver Canucks know when they drafted forwards Bo Horvat (ninth overall) and Hunter Shinkaruk (24th overall) in the first round of the 2013 NHL Draft, that the two would become great friends and, for a brief time, teammates while Horvat was on an AHL conditioning stint with the Utica Comets.

“We’ve kind of been through everything together,†Shinkaruk said of him and Horvat.… read more

The post Comets’ Shinkaruk hopes for NHL reunion soon with friend Horvat appeared first on Hockey's Future.

More...

Bieksa#3

Mar 2, 2007
Too bad he's probably still a few years away from what people have been saying about him in the AHL.

BobbyJazzLegs

Sorry 4 Acting Werd
Oct 15, 2013
If you read the Utica thread you will definitely hear bad things. I'm taking it with a grain of salt though and am hopeful his play picks up throughout the year.

Would be great if this worked out for him, for sure.

pahlsson

Mar 22, 2012
production isn't too much of a concern yet at this point, but i expected him to be way more composed with the puck

i guess stickhandling drills during summer camps aren't the best way to gauge puck handling ability

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
From what the regular Comet fans/viewers are saying, it definitely sounds like he needs this full season down there. Another year removed from the hip injury and to get stronger would make him a stronger candidate to see NHL action next year. Nothing wrong with that. Patience is key for both he and the organization.

Huggy

Respectful Handshake
Jul 22, 2014
Vancouver
From the utica thread it sounds like he's trying too hard to stand out and make the NHL team.

Hope the coach sits him down and tells him he needs to relax and be patient, I think he'll be like Nyquist, just needs to gain 15 lbs

iFan

May 5, 2013
Calgary
Shinkurak needs to add some strength before he will be joining Horvat. Horvat is a strong kid and a big dude, he has the strength to play in the NHL, I think Shinkurak will make it as a top 6 winger but he still has some improvements to make.

BenningHurtsMySoul

Unfair Huggy Bear
Mar 18, 2008
Port Coquitlam, BC
Shinkaruk will make it either next year or the year after. He needs more seasoning but he has all of the tools necessary to be a 50-60 point scoring winger in this league. Just needs to work on defensive play and strength.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad