Combined point totals of NHL teams

Status
Not open for further replies.

humboldt

Mar 22, 2002
Visit site
Some say the draft order may be determined by the combined records of all the teams over the past 3 years. I decided to add them up and see what that order would look like. It seems fair.

Combined point totals for the past 3 seasons:
Detroit - 335
Ottowa - 309
Philadelphia - 305
Colorado - 304
New Jersey - 303
Toronto - 301
Vancouver - 299
Dallas - 298
Boston - 292
St Louis - 288
San Jose - 276
Edmonton - 273
NY Islanders - 270
Tampa BAy - 268
Montreal - 257
Los Angeles - 254
Minnesota - 251
Calgary - 248
Phoeniz - 241
Anaheim - 240
Buffalo - 239
Washington - 236
Chicago - 234
Nashville - 233
Carolina - 228
NY Rangers - 227
Atlanta - 206
Florida - 205
Pittsburgh - 192
Columbus - 188

Fozz

Aug 1, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
If they use a system like this to decide the draft order, maybe they should also put the last 3 cup winners as the last 3 teams to select in round one... Tampa would get the last selection.

oil slick

Feb 6, 2004
Yeah - I hadn't noticed that. Well, my Oilers would pick after the Stanley Cup Champions, and Stanley Cup finlists... so I would have to say the system is not ideal.

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
That system doesn't take into account teams on the rise such or on the decline. It's a pretty dumb way of doing things.

Anksun

Dec 13, 2002
Montreal
Visit site
Fozz said:
If they use a system like this to decide the draft order, maybe they should also put the last 3 cup winners as the last 3 teams to select in round one... Tampa would get the last selection.

That was my opinion on this also, except i thought the system should be taken into account for the stanley cups winners between them. Tampa would get the 28th.

Kardi

Jul 28, 2004
Interwebs
ohh snap, even expansion teams do better then the penguins :biglaugh:

i think they should do maybe a ufa draft and an entry draft, since there will be a ton of good ufa's out there after this year.. since the bad teams need help now, they would get early picks in the ufa draft and late picks for the entry draft, and the reverse for the stronger teams who dont really need the help right now :yo:

Reaper45

Jul 14, 2003
Los Angeles
Argh, stuck in the middle. Really this isn't an ideal way of doing a draft, I say just combine the draft classes.

kerrly

May 16, 2004
Regina
Someone also stated that it could be based on points per dollar. So does anyone want to take on the monumental task of figuring out this ratio over the three years? Sorry, I cannot do it, because I have to run.

MrMastodonFarm*

Jul 5, 2004
oil slick said:
Yeah - I hadn't noticed that. Well, my Oilers would pick after the Stanley Cup Champions, and Stanley Cup finlists... so I would have to say the system is not ideal.
What a great thought.. "This doesn't work exclusively for my team, so it won't work" Good stuff man. :help:

oil slick

Feb 6, 2004
MrMastodonFarm said:
What a great thought.. "This doesn't work exclusively for my team, so it won't work" Good stuff man. :help:

Come of it man... is it not a valid criticism that a team that missed the playoffs would pick after the Stanley Cup Champions? As far as I'm concerned, the idea of this weighting is to give teams that are underperforming a better chance at the best players.

I was just pointing out that I consider cases like Tampa a major difficiency in this procedure. Can you not understand why I consider this a problem?

:help: :help:

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Habsfan 32 said:
Nice list and I like that system but I think they can come up with something better.

Like using the 2003-4 standings, similar weighted lottery as always? This is a bit :biglaugh: as it just goes to show no matter what is chosen will have 'flaws' and 'warts' to one degree or another. Far better don't you think to choose the one that seems the least pulling a system out of your a$$, true? Last season played, same weighted lottery would eliminate the problem of a Tampa Bay in this system, and also make it pretty damn unlikely that the Caps would get AO AND Crosby (under 15% chance, right?).

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
Jaded-Fan said:
Like using the 2003-4 standings, similar weighted lottery as always? This is a bit :biglaugh: as it just goes to show no matter what is chosen will have 'flaws' and 'warts' to one degree or another. Far better don't you think to choose the one that seems the least pulling a system out of your a$$, true? Last season played, same weighted lottery would eliminate the problem of a Tampa Bay in this system, and also make it pretty damn unlikely that the Caps would get AO AND Crosby (under 15% chance, right?).

Granted the NHL sees less turnover than the NFL and MLB, there's enough for me to believe that the majority of owners would have issues with using the 01-02 and 02-03 season as weight for the 05 draft.

Last edited:

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
EroCaps said:
Granted the NHL sees less turnover than the NFL and MLB, there's enough for me to believe he majority of owners would have issues with using the 01-02 and 02-03 season as weight for the 05 draft.

There's been a ton of turnover this year due to the "potential" lockout.

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
Legionnaire said:
There's been a ton of turnover this year due to the "potential" lockout.

That's what I was getting at. FAs and trades will be abound when a new CBA is signed. If rosters will see major face lifts in comparison to how they finished 03-04, using past years as models is like overkill.

CapitalPunishment

Apr 9, 2004
Maryland
kerrly said:
Someone also stated that it could be based on points per dollar. So does anyone want to take on the monumental task of figuring out this ratio over the three years? Sorry, I cannot do it, because I have to run.

as in how much the team profits? what does that exactly mean. if you tell me i can try to do it. edit: or salary?

Last edited:

kerrly

May 16, 2004
Regina
CapitalPunishment55 said:
as in how much the team profits? what does that exactly mean. if you tell me i can try to do it. edit: or salary?

Points per dollar on each teams salary.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad