Columbus will "Not be the same team" in 2016/2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
Im glad you think so

Who said anything about his ego?

Management decided Foligno was going to be the C, and they decided to invest their money into him. Trading him the very next season without a doubt hurts his credibility and reputation. If players think your word doesnt mean **** why would they want to resign with you?

Because money and the fact that it occurred to a different person. Why would players sign in Philly after the GM promised Carter he wouldn't be moved and then moved him? I don't know, but they still do.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Because money and the fact that it occurred to a different person. Why would players sign in Philly after the GM promised Carter he wouldn't be moved and then moved him? I don't know, but they still do.
Because that GM was fired three years later.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137

We're also not getting a top 10 pick and young, top 6 winger back for Foligno or anything near that. They took an aging asset and turned it into the future core of their team.

If someone BLOWS you away with an offer that you would be stupid not to take then you take it. But NOBODY is offering anything that makes ruining that relationship worth it.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
Who said anything about his ego?

You implied it.

but trading Foligno away just hurts his own reputation and credibility

If he didn't make a trade simply because of the reason listed above it would be because of ego.

As for the rest of your rant, teams have traded captains before. Foligno underperformed so it wouldn't be a big deal, this isn't some teenage drama melodrama like we seem to try and make it out to be.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
While he was replaced 3 years later, Philly didn't have any problems with signings, I think they extended Giroux during that time.

I think players are less concerned about how the GM treats other players. That said, it would not look good to ownership. It would look like Jarmo doesn't really have a plan (especially if he packages an asset to dump salary). While that won't dictate his actions, that would be the negative reflection I think.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
You implied it.

If he didn't make a trade simply because of the reason listed above it would be because of ego.

As for the rest of your rant, teams have traded captains before. Foligno underperformed so it wouldn't be a big deal, this isn't some teenage drama melodrama like we seem to try and make it out to be.

You're right they have been, but Folignos value is pretty low and to trade him now would be utterly stupid. There's literally no benefit from trading Foligno right now, unless another GM thinks he can rebound on his team. And there's no reason for Jarmo not to think he can rebound here.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Elliotte Friedman ‏@FriedgeHNIC now18 seconds ago

Hello from Vegas. Should get cap clarity today. With full 5% escalator from players, ceiling could be $73M flat. That's up $1.6M.

niflheim

Hockey is cheating
Nov 22, 2014
Elliotte Friedman ‏@FriedgeHNIC now18 seconds ago

Hello from Vegas. Should get cap clarity today. With full 5% escalator from players, ceiling could be $73M flat. That's up $1.6M.

:thumbu: Not 74.5 as was expected, but anyway better than 71.4. Nowadays every penny important for us:)

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
You're right they have been, but Folignos value is pretty low and to trade him now would be utterly stupid. There's literally no benefit from trading Foligno right now, unless another GM thinks he can rebound on his team. And there's no reason for Jarmo not to think he can rebound here.

A couple of things:

1. We don't know what Foligno's value is. It is likely that it was never as high as want the majority thought it was. We suspect it's low, which leads to point #2
2. Literally no benefit? That is pretty short sighted. Cap relief alone is a benefit.

We have some trash contracts on this team and this one is right toward the top. For that cash and term off of a breakout season should have eliminated the need for a NMC/NTC.

Last season was actually a return to normal for Foligno. If you get the chance moving him just to get rid of the contract might well be worth it. Will he stay at his career norms or trend back to that breakout season? The former is more likely.

Your talk of JK taking a hit and looking stupid - I hate to tell you this but the team has already has a few scars from his mismanagement. The best thing he could do might be to start to cut some losses and move on. Wasn't that the point of the thread? This team won't look the same?

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
:thumbu: Not 74.5 as was expected, but anyway better than 71.4. Nowadays every penny important for us:)

Yeah, but at some point there is probably going to be a correction. At that point the cap could very well go down. I would only use that as a one year bump to get Jones in long term and start to look at getting down to under 70 for the 2017/2018 season. The global economy is looking like a disaster waiting to happen. I would be proactive in shedding cap space.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Craig Custance ‏@CraigCustance now11 seconds ago

NHL and NHLPA announce $73 million salary cap for 2016-17 season. Floor is $54 million.

Official

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Craig Custance ‏@CraigCustance now11 seconds ago

NHL and NHLPA announce $73 million salary cap for 2016-17 season. Floor is $54 million.

Official

By my calculations that leaves up to 6 mill for Jones if Tyutin, Boll & Campell are bought out and Hartnell stays. Gives about 500k of wiggle room if all of this happens.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
By my calculations that leaves up to 6 mill for Jones if Tyutin, Boll & Campell are bought out and Hartnell stays. Gives about 500k of wiggle room if all of this happens.

Well that's the best case scenario. But do we have any recent indications (from this week) that any of those three are actually going to be bought out?

Maybe it'll be towards the end of the month, but we've already seen guys like Umberger get bought out. Why isn't Boll on buyout waivers by now? It should be plainly obvious that he has nothing more to offer as an NHL player.

Might there be some ownership resistance to buyouts here?

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
Who do you guys believe will be better in the long run: Seth Jones or Ryan murray?

Also, more offensive?

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Well that's the best case scenario. But do we have any recent indications (from this week) that any of those three are actually going to be bought out?

Maybe it'll be towards the end of the month, but we've already seen guys like Umberger get bought out. Why isn't Boll on buyout waivers by now? It should be plainly obvious that he has nothing more to offer as an NHL player.

Might there be some ownership resistance to buyouts here?

I keep waiting for the confirmed with link: Tyutin on Waivers but so far no dice. I'm guessing (hoping) Jarmo is waiting to see if he can unload him for something at least until the draft.

Boll & Campbell at least can be buried in the A with almost the same cap relief so not as much worry there.

Buying out Tyutin and replacing his money with Werenski's is about a break even over the time period involved.

If they don't buyout Tyutin someone has a case of **** for brains.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
A couple of things:

1. We don't know what Foligno's value is. It is likely that it was never as high as want the majority thought it was. We suspect it's low, which leads to point #2
2. Literally no benefit? That is pretty short sighted. Cap relief alone is a benefit.

We have some trash contracts on this team and this one is right toward the top. For that cash and term off of a breakout season should have eliminated the need for a NMC/NTC.

Last season was actually a return to normal for Foligno. If you get the chance moving him just to get rid of the contract might well be worth it. Will he stay at his career norms or trend back to that breakout season? The former is more likely.

Your talk of JK taking a hit and looking stupid - I hate to tell you this but the team has already has a few scars from his mismanagement. The best thing he could do might be to start to cut some losses and move on. Wasn't that the point of the thread? This team won't look the same?

I agree with you, personally I hope they find a way to move his contract . It was entirely forced to name him the C of the Jackets , and he was near invisible last year both on the ice, and in the media . The jackets need to sell an identity to get the casual fan re engaged , and I wouldn't be surprised if they moved Foligno, just so they don't have to deal with the distraction or fallout in the room of stripping the C from him . Everyone knows they wanted Boone to be the captain. But with his injuries, etc, it just wasn't possible at the time . But he is what you want to sell as the identity of the franchise . Not to get the whole Foligno, and captain talk all drummed up again, just pointing out why I feel it's pretty likely he's moved , if someone will take his contract . We need to trim the fat , to be able to have room for upcoming contracts , and it will be a much easier sell to get someone to take Foligno, over let's say , Tyutin .

Dr. Fire

What, me worry?
Jun 29, 2007
Jacketstown, Ohio
Who do you guys believe will be better in the long run: Seth Jones or Ryan murray?

Also, more offensive?

I really don't like to get into the who is better then who. I think both of these guys, in their own ways will be good. Over-all, probably Jones, but Murray has some strengths that will be very useful. For instance, I thought Murray was a better break-out passer then Jones last season. Now that could change, but I think the two could compliment each-other nicely.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->