Columbus Thread VI (All City/Arena Questions, Ticket Exchange, Meetups, etc in here)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCLHockeydotcom

May 8, 2018
Hey guys me and my family are looking into moving to the Columbus area. My son has kidney failure and we are looking to be closer to the Nationwide Childrens Hospital for when he will be needing a transplant at some point. I have done pretty good research on the area but still want to learn more about the area, including where to look for work, preferrably Im going to want to get a job before I bring the family over and that isnt going to be easy. Any help and advice is appreciated.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Hey guys me and my family are looking into moving to the Columbus area. My son has kidney failure and we are looking to be closer to the Nationwide Childrens Hospital for when he will be needing a transplant at some point. I have done pretty good research on the area but still want to learn more about the area, including where to look for work, preferrably Im going to want to get a job before I bring the family over and that isnt going to be easy. Any help and advice is appreciated.

Prayers and good thoughts for your son and you and your family, SCL. Children's is in a residential area but it's definitely an urban setting. So depends on the kind of neighborhood your family would be comfortable in, and how much dough you'd want to spend. The good news is Columbus, despite its construction, is pretty easy to get around in - kind of 20 minutes to anywhere.

So what kind of neighborhood and what kind of work you do would be helpful to know. Columbus is big in banking, insurance, medical and marketing, among others.

SCLHockeydotcom

May 8, 2018
Thanks for the thoughts and prayers guys, want to stay in an area that is good on raising kids of course, I have 5, but also want to be on the cheaper side. I was looking into Gahanna quite a bit but that may be a bit more expensive. I have worked in the printing industry most of my life and my research shows quite a bit of printing companies there, but there isnt much turnover in that industry since its specialized so I may need to venture into another option. Thanks for the help.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Thanks for the thoughts and prayers guys, want to stay in an area that is good on raising kids of course, I have 5, but also want to be on the cheaper side. I was looking into Gahanna quite a bit but that may be a bit more expensive. I have worked in the printing industry most of my life and my research shows quite a bit of printing companies there, but there isnt much turnover in that industry since its specialized so I may need to venture into another option. Thanks for the help.

Gahanna is a good community that won't break your bank to live there. And it's on 670 which gets you to Children's pretty quickly. The Columbus area has an unusual "win-win" agreement with municipal government and public schools, so make sure you're going to go to the school you want based on the neighborhood where you live -- i.e. Gahanna vs Columbus schools.

Gotta be honest I'm not familiar with the printing industry. Again, there's always going to be traffic but Columbus is still a pretty easy place to get around as far as commuting.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Could kill two birds with one stone and look into working at NCH. We've been expanding like crazy of late. I haven't been paying attention to what jobs are emerging as the part that is expanding is mostly the medical side and I'm research, but still.

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO

My father believes they've got North and South Upper Arlington mixed up.

My wife & I are planning to take in a Blue Jackets game on the front end of an Ohio State hockey weekend in November. Looks like my choice of local lodging between "Drunk Girls in Miniskirts in December" and "Rich Gays" is a pretty safe option. :rolleyes:

bouncesonly

May 1, 2014
San Diego
Does anyone know if/how suites tickets are sold individually at Nationwide Arena? I know for Staples Center there are suite tickets that can be had individually without having to get the entire suite. Looking to visit Columbus and Pittsburgh when the Kings are on the road in December.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Planning to bring the family(wife and two daughters) December 28th for the Leaf game.
What's the area like around the Arena? Any concerns I should have?
Appreciate any info.
Thanks

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
Planning to bring the family(wife and two daughters) December 28th for the Leaf game.
Appreciate any info.
Thanks
The area around Nationwide Arena is nice. Lots of restaurant/bar/lodging options that have been mentioned in previous posts. Can't really go wrong with anything near the arena.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Appreciate any info.
Thanks

No concerns at all. It's a commercially-developed area that built up around the arena, and wherever you park or stay you'll likely be in at least a small group of fellow attendees post-game.

There are a handful of family-friendly places to grab a bite pre-game, if you need.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
The area around Nationwide Arena is nice. Lots of restaurant/bar/lodging options that have been mentioned in previous posts. Can't really go wrong with anything near the arena.
No concerns at all. It's a commercially-developed area that built up around the arena, and wherever you park or stay you'll likely be in at least a small group of fellow attendees post-game.

There are a handful of family-friendly places to grab a bite pre-game, if you need.

Thank you both.

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217

I like your wordier answer better, LOL :thumbu:

Jackets Woodchuck

Dec 27, 2010
Does anyone know of any local restaurants that offer low/lower sodium options or would be willing to prepare food differently upon request? I was recently diagnosed with a heart condition and need to watch my sodium intake. I usually go to Columbus 2-3 times a month (occasionally staying overnight) and am looking for some help sticking to my diet.

Speedy Sanderson

Jan 29, 2012
Does anyone know of any local restaurants that offer low/lower sodium options or would be willing to prepare food differently upon request? I was recently diagnosed with a heart condition and need to watch my sodium intake. I usually go to Columbus 2-3 times a month (occasionally staying overnight) and am looking for some help sticking to my diet.
Northstar Café comes to mind. I'm sure there are others.

Reactions: Jackets Woodchuck
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad