Columbus Thread VI (All City/Arena Questions, Ticket Exchange, Meetups, etc in here)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MainDotC

Depth Defenceman
Apr 29, 2007
Westerville, OH
My gf went through the paperwork from the BMV and apparently the registrations were attached to the bag of license plates. I see they both have the same information and at they top they state they are proof of registration. Mystery solved!

teamsaxby

Dec 31, 2014
Coming up for the (afternoon) game on February 27th. Figured I'd throw this out there for the HF faithful.

Plan is to grab dinner in Columbus after the game (which will likely be 6PM-ish) before driving back. Can anyone recc a few good local Cbus dinner spots in walking distance from the arena? I have done some homework but it seems to be failing me, or maybe I'm just being too complicated. The Arena District specifically seems to have mostly chain options, which is fine, but I am more interested in local places I haven't tried before. I'm not familiar with downtown Columbus at all, is there a certain area I should check out besides the AD that is in walking distance from the arena so we wouldn't have to move the car? Or is the AD basically the place unless you want to walk 15-20 minutes?

Thanks in advance, sorry for the ignorance. We have a couple hour drive and the 3PM start time made it kind of awkward to plan lunch/dinner. We love trying local places so are doing our best to find to a good dinner spot.

Last edited:

DJA

over the horizon radar
Sponsor
Apr 17, 2002
Beyond the Infinite
Coming up for the (afternoon) game on February 27th. Figured I'd throw this out there for the HF faithful.

Plan is to grab dinner in Columbus after the game (which will likely be 6PM-ish) before driving back. Can anyone recc a few good local Cbus dinner spots in walking distance from the arena? I have done some homework but it seems to be failing me, or maybe I'm just being too complicated. The Arena District specifically seems to have mostly chain options, which is fine, but I am more interested in local places I haven't tried before. I'm not familiar with downtown Columbus at all, is there a certain area I should check out besides the AD that is in walking distance from the arena so we wouldn't have to move the car? Or is the AD basically the place unless you want to walk 15-20 minutes?

Thanks in advance, sorry for the ignorance. We have a couple hour drive and the 3PM start time made it kind of awkward to plan lunch/dinner. We love trying local places so are doing our best to find to a good dinner spot.

Google "Short North". Tons of local options and a 5 minute walk from the arena.

Or, go here: http://shortnorth.org/eat-drink/dinner/

Dr. Fire

What, me worry?
Jun 29, 2007
Jacketstown, Ohio

If you want more local restaurant fare you will need to head up to the Short North which is easy walking distance from the Arena District. And I mean the smallish eateries north of the North Market. Bar Louie, btw, is part of a chain.

I also like Flat Irons, which is a unique little restaurant about a 10 minute walk straight east of the arena (just east of the Red Roof Inn).

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
I was curious about this.. seems like nothing has lasted long in that location for the past 5 years..

"Closed" may have been the wrong word. There is wrapping paper in the doors/windows, the patio is completely empty, and the gate to the patio is wide open. Perhaps, as Fro said, it's just time for a renovation? Their website shows nothing and facebook page hasn't been updated since mid December.

Steak Escape by the arena has some hazardous material sign on the outside and they've been closed about a week.

MainDotC

Depth Defenceman
Apr 29, 2007
Westerville, OH
I'm in Westerville at the corner of Schrock and Cleveland Ave... The police had I have blocked off and we're making traffic for about 500 squad cars to turn from Schrok on to Cleveland and it look like they were turning onto 71... What's going on today?

Kev22

Feb 19, 2003
Plain City, OH
Visit site
I'm in Westerville at the corner of Schrock and Cleveland Ave... The police had I have blocked off and we're making traffic for about 500 squad cars to turn from Schrok on to Cleveland and it look like they were turning onto 71... What's going on today?

Might be the funeral for the Danville police officer that was KIA earlier this week.

CourtneyDagger50

Resident Pig Expert
Jan 11, 2014
Rockford
Hey guys. I am coming to the game this Saturday.
Is there anywhere around the arena where parking is free? I am going to be driving from Illinois, and after spending a ton on gas, I don't really want to pay a boatload for parking.
If not, what are the average parking rates close to the arena?
Thanks!!!

Samkow

Now do Classical Gas
Jul 4, 2002
Detroit
Is there anywhere around the arena where parking is free? I am going to be driving from Illinois, and after spending a ton on gas, I don't really want to pay a boatload for parking.
Thanks!!!

How long is your definition of 'walking distance'?

Speedy Sanderson

Jan 29, 2012
Thanks!!!

I used to park for free on weekend evenings on either Chestnut Street or Spring Street between Third and High. However, I don't know if those meters are enforced now on the weekends as it's been a couple years since I parked there (I bought a parking pass at a garage closer to the arena). The further east you head from the arena (past 4th Street), the greater likelihood you'll find free parking on the street, but as with any city, you'd want to be careful walking back to your car after the game, particularly if you are by yourself.

Most garages near the arena are $10 or $15, depending upon how close you want to get.

CatscratchFever

#CatsAreComing
Dec 11, 2002
O-hi-O
Visit site

Attending the game the 27th as well. Wife along with 2 kids(20 and 12). Coming from Dayton, we'd like to grab lunch there near the arena before the game. I am a huge craft beer fan, and would love a place with a solid beer list, decent food for the family and not have to venture to far away from the garages/arena. Any suggestions?

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
Attending the game the 27th as well. Wife along with 2 kids(20 and 12). Coming from Dayton, we'd like to grab lunch there near the arena before the game. I am a huge craft beer fan, and would love a place with a solid beer list, decent food for the family and not have to venture to far away from the garages/arena. Any suggestions?

Barley's and Elevator offer "local" beers on tap. Both have good food, too, and are probably 5-10 minute walks from the Arena. Bareburger carries some local beers as well (next door to Barley's).

CourtneyDagger50

Resident Pig Expert
Jan 11, 2014
Rockford
I used to park for free on weekend evenings on either Chestnut Street or Spring Street between Third and High. However, I don't know if those meters are enforced now on the weekends as it's been a couple years since I parked there (I bought a parking pass at a garage closer to the arena). The further east you head from the arena (past 4th Street), the greater likelihood you'll find free parking on the street, but as with any city, you'd want to be careful walking back to your car after the game, particularly if you are by yourself.

Most garages near the arena are $10 or $15, depending upon how close you want to get.

Oh that isn't a bad price.
I am used to Blackhawks prices...

Do I need a parking pass for the garages, or can I just pay as I'm leaving?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad