Columbus Thread VI (All City/Arena Questions, Ticket Exchange, Meetups, etc in here)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
So, Columbus then, hm?

http://www.columbusalive.com/conten...2016-great-local-eats-cooked-by-the-pros.html

Wanna be the hero? Hear this from Mikey Sorboro himself. “Last year we had a guy come in on the way to a Christmas party who bought 12 Baby Cheezuses, one for each person at the party. I thought that was pretty funny.†What could be better for a Christmas party? The Baby Cheezus ($4) is a slice of pizza cut in half lengthwise, made into a sandwich filled with American cheese and whatever topping you like.

http://www.bizjournals.com/columbus...brothers-up-and-brewing-at-full-speed-at.html

Brew Brothers is up and brewing at full speed.
The restaurant-brewery inside the Scioto Downs Racino opened in late October, but as is the case with many new breweries, it took a little more time to build up its stock of beer.

dahlenrules

Jul 7, 2009
Virginia
Caps fan coming in peace. I read through the last thread real fast and had a couple questions I didn't see answered.

Me, my wife, and my 3 year old son are coming up for the Caps game on the 2nd of January. Planning on coming up very early that morning and getting into Columbus around noon. After checking in to our hotel and getting a quick power nap we are probably going to go to the German village and then we'll likely head to the R bar before we go in to warmups.

For my questions:

-Are there any areas with Christmas lights or something else to go see? It looks like the Scioto mile is a good scenic route, but not sure if they have lights.

- I saw someone ask about kids zones, but a couple posters mentioned the areas in the arena are for very young kids. My son is obsessed with hockey and just about any game, so is there anything like that we could go to?

-Food: What arena food is best to go for? I normally don't get much at the game, but like knowing just in case. Also interested if any places have take home CBJ cups or something similar. Also want to know if there are any unique things to see in our around the arena. We normally try to do a lap around the entire arena but sometimes it can be rushed.

-Hotels: We haven't booked our hotel yet, any hotels to look for that have parking, are close to downtown, and are in good areas?

From reading the last thread it looks like this is a great arena with knowledgeable fans, so we're excited to come by. Thanks.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Caps fan coming in peace. I read through the last thread real fast and had a couple questions I didn't see answered.

Me, my wife, and my 3 year old son are coming up for the Caps game on the 2nd of January. Planning on coming up very early that morning and getting into Columbus around noon. After checking in to our hotel and getting a quick power nap we are probably going to go to the German village and then we'll likely head to the R bar before we go in to warmups.

For my questions:

-Are there any areas with Christmas lights or something else to go see? It looks like the Scioto mile is a good scenic route, but not sure if they have lights.

- I saw someone ask about kids zones, but a couple posters mentioned the areas in the arena are for very young kids. My son is obsessed with hockey and just about any game, so is there anything like that we could go to?

-Food: What arena food is best to go for? I normally don't get much at the game, but like knowing just in case. Also interested if any places have take home CBJ cups or something similar. Also want to know if there are any unique things to see in our around the arena. We normally try to do a lap around the entire arena but sometimes it can be rushed.

-Hotels: We haven't booked our hotel yet, any hotels to look for that have parking, are close to downtown, and are in good areas?

From reading the last thread it looks like this is a great arena with knowledgeable fans, so we're excited to come by. Thanks.

Probably too much ti try and go to the lights at the zoo. I'd suggest Columbus Commons (http://columbuscommons.org/). Bicentennial Park on the Scioto Mile has lights too, and the Mile is a nice walk, if you've got some time, but it's the farthest end of the Mile from the Arena, if that make a difference.

I don't know that any of the arena-area hotels have surface (i,e, free) parking, if that's what you mean. But it's a nice area, near what you need - a walk to downtown, the Cap (recommended eating at Stack City Burgers) and obviously close to the arena.

Enjoy your stay!

Dr. Fire

What, me worry?
Jun 29, 2007
Jacketstown, Ohio
Wildlights at the Columbus Zoo is the most popular light show in town, but it's a bit of a drive if you're staying downtown.

https://www.columbuszoo.org/

They have lights at the Columbus Commons, which is closer to the arena/German Village:

http://columbuscommons.org/happenings/holiday-lights/

The best place for kids downtown is definitely COSI:

http://cosi.org/

Just a word of warning if you decide to go to the Zoo.

Because of the warm weather the crowds at the Zoo have been HUGE! Two of my friends went to see the lights. One left because there was no parking, and the other waited in traffic for 1.5 hours, and turned around and left. Never even got on Zoo property! A third friend said he got there very early in the day, and just hung around till it got dark, so that should be your strategy if you go there. If you wait to go in the evening, and the weather is nice, good luck.

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013

For my questions:

Scioto mile is very nice this year. As is Columbus Commons -both very close.

Arena - Back behind section 122 there is a large table hockey game that 12 kids play at a time with handles - they obviously let the parents of the little ones help. Seems to always have people there (around that area). Other than that like around 119-120 they have Stingers playhouse - not much to it but usually a few little ones running around.
What I would recommend is get in their early and watch the warm ups, both players and staff are very good at getting pucks to the little ones.

Parking won't be a problem, but as someone else said downtown you will pay for it - not big city prices but likely $10-15/night.

Food - I'm not overly impressed with anything inside, usual stadium fare. Most places do have Souvenior cups for sodas. Just my $.02 but I would try to find some place b4 the game to eat.

Have a great time!

DJA

over the horizon radar
Sponsor
Apr 17, 2002
Beyond the Infinite
Just a word of warning if you decide to go to the Zoo.

Because of the warm weather the crowds at the Zoo have been HUGE! Two of my friends went to see the lights. One left because there was no parking, and the other waited in traffic for 1.5 hours, and turned around and left. Never even got on Zoo property! A third friend said he got there very early in the day, and just hung around till it got dark, so that should be your strategy if you go there. If you wait to go in the evening, and the weather is nice, good luck.

Yeah, it was horrific this year. My daughter and I spent more time dodging strollers than looking at lights. We usually go around 2:00pm and we get about an hour of lights at dusk until the crowds arrive.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Arena - Back behind section 122 there is a large table hockey game that 12 kids play at a time with handles - they obviously let the parents of the little ones help. Seems to always have people there (around that area). Other than that like around 119-120 they have Stingers playhouse - not much to it but usually a few little ones running around.

There is also a floor hockey area for medium-sized (elementary school-age) kids.

dahlenrules

Jul 7, 2009
Virginia
Thanks for all the suggestions.

Looks like before the game we'll be parking near the brewery district and going to the German village area and then the Scioto mile before going to our hotel. Is parking in Cbus similar to DC with meters you can pay by card, phone, etc?

Last question: it will be a long day but are there any kid friendly spots to hit up after games? I figure we might have energy to go to one more stop before going back to our hotel. We are staying near the arena so around there. Also what time do you recommend I get to R bar to get a table before the game?

Last edited:

Tulipunaruusu*

Apr 27, 2014
Last question: it will be a long day but are there any kid friendly spots to hit up after games? I figure we might have energy to go to one more stop before going back to our hotel. We are staying near the arena so around there. Also what time do you recommend I get to R bar to get a table before the game?

When I was five my father used to take me for a few cold ones and to shoot some pool. Are there billiards facilities in the R bar?

Speedy Sanderson

Jan 29, 2012

Looks like before the game we'll be parking near the brewery district and going to the German village area and then the Scioto mile before going to our hotel. Is parking in Cbus similar to DC with meters you can pay by card, phone, etc?

I think some, but not all, of the meters downtown take cards, etc., but perhaps others who know for sure can weigh-in.

As for an after-game spot that is child friendly, I think your best bets would be Gordon Biersch, Boston's, or Ted's Montana Grill, all of which are next to the arena. Max and Erma's, which is located in the Crowne Plaza hotel, isn't too far either. Maybe Hoster's Brewing Company over on High Street? Almost everything else is probably 21 and over at that time.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
I think some, but not all, of the meters downtown take cards, etc., but perhaps others who know for sure can weigh-in.

As for an after-game spot that is child friendly, I think your best bets would be Gordon Biersch, Boston's, or Ted's Montana Grill, all of which are next to the arena. Max and Erma's, which is located in the Crowne Plaza hotel, isn't too far either. Maybe Hoster's Brewing Company over on High Street? Almost everything else is probably 21 and over at that time.

I wish Hoster was still open and readily available. Do you mean the Elevator?

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014

http://www.columbusunderground.com/brewcadia

^This should be open soon - but looks like they are behind on their Late Fall opening.

http://463-n-high-street.bareburger.com/

^Bareburger just on High Street a couple blocks from the arena.

Other food places that are family friendly by the arena would be: Nada, Boston's has tables, Ted's Montana Grill, Mongolian BBQ, Rodizio Steakhouse, Gordon Biersch has some tables, and there will be some places in the Short North (stretch of High Street from Goodale up to about 5th Ave) as well.

The Convention Center is free to walk through (not sure what's going on at that time). Someone mentioned Max & Erma's - it's just a block east of the arena.

The zoo is a pretty far drive (~30 minute drive from downtown + whatever traffic is up there). I would suggest the Scioto Mile + Columbus Commons combo. They have lights there and is easily walkable (it might be a 10-15 minute walk from your hotel to get there). COSI is great for the kids if you need another activity during the day. The statehouse gives free tours if that's of any interest. Over that way (Commons and Statehouse part of downtown) is Dirty Frank's and 16-bit arcade next to it - not sure if the barcade would let the young ones in during the day or not.

There's also a movie theater near the arena if you don't have any other entertainment options. Depending on your plans, I would try North Market for a meal (a block or so from the arena) - a lot of local restaurants located in one warehouse.

My best suggestions would try to eat local if you have the time - there are a lot of great local restaurants to try in the area. Also a lot of breweries if you're into that. Easton would be another suggestion if you have time & a car to drive 15 minutes or so - dozens of shops in an indoor/outdoor mall setting. Plenty to do for the kids as well, but it is sort of a "trip" out of downtown for food, shopping, entertainment, etc. so I don't know if that fits into your schedule.

R Bar - if you want a table, maybe around 5:00ish? Someone would have to help me out here. They have a tent over the patio outdoors, but maybe your son would enjoy the tables that are "penalty boxes" in the corner? Don't know how the home crowd gets in there, but it usually looks fairly full from 6-7 from the outside. They have a lot of hockey gear and hockey-themed things inside.

Most meters can be paid by card (check the times so as not to overpay because there is free parking on the weekends I think in some areas). It also sounds like you'll be within the footprint of the CBUS - a free COTA bus line that runs from the Short North through downtown and down to German Village. That would be my suggestion for transportation if you're looking to get around in the downtown area. Skip the parking meters/garages once you arrive. Parking is typically free on the weekends after 9 or 10 I think. You could definitely take the CBUS to the Scioto Mile/Columbus area and also check out German Village (the book loft seems to be a big hit there) and take it back for the game as well. Or you could drive - it's only a couple miles away and parking rates aren't awful either.

Within the arena, almost the entire first level is filled with stuff for hockey fans - the cannon, mini-games, video games, hats thrown onto the ice, the "blue line" shop, etc. You're also welcome to walk down to the glass during warmups if there is space. They do a great job of catering to hockey fans. A "take home" glass should be available in the blue line store or at the concession stands.

Your best bang for your buck for food in the arena is probably Tim Horton's. They have some cool "hockey puck" desserts too, but I don't really eat there so I don't know what the "best" arena foods are.

Last edited:

MainDotC

Depth Defenceman
Apr 29, 2007
Westerville, OH
I just got my crappy 2008 Chevy Impala registered in Ohio. In New York when you're pulled over you have to supply license, registration, and proof of insurance. It appears Ohio issues a combination title/registration. Should this be kept in the vehicle in case of being pulled over?

pete goegan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 6, 2006
Washington, DC
I just got my crappy 2008 Chevy Impala registered in Ohio. In New York when you're pulled over you have to supply license, registration, and proof of insurance. It appears Ohio issues a combination title/registration. Should this be kept in the vehicle in case of being pulled over?

You get two copies, one has your home info and should be kept in a safe place, the other has no personal info and is meant to be kept in the vehicle.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
I don't think that's your title, just registration. And yes it should stay in the car.

The facility there is a combo title/registration, but there's no combo document.

Jackets Woodchuck

Dec 27, 2010
If you didn't get both copies, you should call the BMV and see why you didn't get both, especially if the one without the personal info is missing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad