Columbus rumors

Status
Not open for further replies.

RDriesen

May 22, 2002
Visit site
today on Dougs show he mentioned that tukonen and radulov werent on his list. he has a list of 3 (probably barker, ladd, thelan) had around 8 offers to trade down. teams want a goalie. looks like if barker is gone, we will trade down to grab thelan or ladd

DJA

over the horizon radar
Sponsor
Apr 17, 2002
Beyond the Infinite
I believe he meant Columbus would trade down if a team wanted a goalie at #4. MacLean has said numerous times that Montoya or Schwarz are potential top-5 picks.

X-SHARKIE

Columbus could be bluffing...It's very rare to actually have a GM speak publically bad about a player, and then try to make a trade down.

If Barker is gone, I wouldn't be surprised to see him trade down and try to get Thelen....but at the same time I still have a gut fealing he likes Tukonen. You just have to, he's arguably the third best player in this draft IMO.

By him saying teams want a goalie, Means that teams are trying to trade up, because they want Schwarz or Montoya, teams probally fear the Coyotes are going to take Montoya, and you know the Kings want Schwarz or Montoya.

RDriesen

May 22, 2002
Visit site
yea, cause so many gms are tuned in to our local radio station to hear dougs thoughts. come on :lol:

doug says what he means on his shows

RDriesen

May 22, 2002
Visit site
X-SHARKIE said:
Columbus could be bluffing...It's very rare to actually have a GM speak publically bad about a player, and then try to make a trade down.

If Barker is gone, I wouldn't be surprised to see him trade down and try to get Thelen....but at the same time I still have a gut fealing he likes Tukonen. You just have to, he's arguably the third best player in this draft IMO.

By him saying teams want a goalie, Means that teams are trying to trade up, because they want Schwarz or Montoya, teams probally fear the Coyotes are going to take Montoya, and you know the Kings want Schwarz or Montoya.
ill call doug and tell him hes blowing it. sharkie says tukonen is the greatest. we need him :)

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
contingent_23 said:
Besides...the guys here in Columbus that listen to the show know that Doug loves a certain Shark fan from the OSU campus and ALWAYS takes phone calls from him!

Nooooooo not Jason from Campus!!!!!!

As to Doug's radio show. I've been an avid listener for several years. If Doug doesn't have an answer or doesn't want to answer a question, he'll hem and haw on it or he just won't answer it.

He flat out said Tukonen is not the guy. I don't think that's a bluff. Consensus is that 3-10 or so is a crap shoot anyway. It isn't like Tukonen is solidly the 4th guy in the draft and he's hurting trade posibilities that much.
Personally, I'm disapointed b/c I think Tukonen would be the best guy for Columbus not named Barker, but DM says he isn't the guy and I believe him.

Based on everything he's said -- I think Columbus' list is Barker and Ladd definitely, then one of Thelen, Schremp or (wildcard) Stafford -- whom he did not dismiss today, but referred to as "good" and then answered the next question.

He said CBJ are "likely" to trade down -- meaning he thinks CHI will pick Barker, which he's said on his show before -- but the team wouldn't trade out of getting one of their top 2-3, which I'm assuming means they won't be trading out of the top 10.

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
Flames Draft Watcher said:
why hasn't anybody in this thread mentioned Olesz? Did Maclean say anything about him?

If I couldn't get a decent deal, I'd just sit at 4 and pick Ladd too.

Olesz isn't Columbus' guy. They're not too high on him and I think he's too similar to Svitov and Malhotra in that two-way game, with some offensive ability mold. The other guys mentioned -- Barker, Thelen, Ladd, Schremp -- bring different abilities that Columbus doesn't have in abundance.

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
RDriesen said:
yea, cause so many gms are tuned in to our local radio station to hear dougs thoughts. come on :lol:

doug says what he means on his shows
It has been publicized many times before about cat and mouse from GM to GM. There was a show on recently that showed Waddel working people at last years draft and trying to make it look like one team wanted a player or didn't want a certain player. I will try to find the post about it on the board.

X0ssbar

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe said:
As to Doug's radio show. I've been an avid listener for several years. If Doug doesn't have an answer or doesn't want to answer a question, he'll hem and haw on it or he just won't answer it.

I definitely agree with this - if Doug doesn't want to answer he just dances :banana: around the question. I was very surprised to hear him eliminate Tukonen from his list. IMO, even if he doesn't like him, I wish he wouldn't have shown his hand at this point - not even a card.

It does appear that Barker and Ladd are our targets (no big surprise) - the 3rd I'm not so sure about but all signs point to "D' so I am thinkin Thelen. I also think its safe to say that if Barker is gone we are definitely moving down the board. I think the NYR or the Panthers would be our likely dance partners.

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio
He's picking Ladd if Barker is gone.. it's the safest pick

go with the #1 NA skater, power forward. We will be loaded on the left side but he is the best available at #4 ( that's not a goalie).

He must feel pretty good about his situation because he gave out way to much information for my taste.. (unless he really likes Tukenen and he just blew smoke..)

I love the draft.. Hell so far it's the best part of Hockey for our new franchise.. oh yeah except for watching the guys in my avatar every night..

I don't know, GMs can be sneaky in what they give to the media and to other teams. Does anyone remember that article with Dudley last year where he discussed the top forwards for the 2003 draft?

He didn't mention any names, but he said a Russian was the top offensive player, a Canadian was the top defensive player, a Czech the top all round player, and another Canadian the second best all round player.

When the blanks were filled in the players were thought to be respectively Zherdev, Staal, Michalek, and Horton. The easy conclusion to make from his comments would be that Horton, only being the second best all round player, would definitely not be Florida's pick. That obviously wasn't the case, and should show that GM's can say one thing and mean something completely different.

X-SHARKIE

Mabey he doesn't like Lauri, or mabey he doesn't want Barker so he's tricking the Hawks into thinking that Barker is by far the best player available so that there the ones getting the offers to trade down and the Hawks take Barker? IDK.

Or mabey i'm just paranoid. Last year Doug Wilson publically ripped Thomas Vanek before the draft, and he sure stuck to his guns. But that was a first in SJ.

1998, Dean Lombardi worked me, and all the rest of the Sharks fans....and Nashville, thinking were drafting Legwand, we traded out and got Nashvilles 29th overall pick..
We got Brad Stuart and Johnothan Cheechoo instead of Legwand.
I mean Lombardi and his staff would always give out fale word... Marcel Goc is a very good skater, but pre draft they said that his skating was an issue to others.

GM's can be tricky. I'm not saying ...this is all crack, but I just said...MABEY...Key word...MABEY BLuffing.

dunwoody_joe

Mar 16, 2002
atlanta
Visit site
I don't trust anything any GM says before the draft. While it may be true, it most certainly is meant to confer advantage for his team by misinforming somebody. Could be other GMs, maybe the press, maybe the kid himself.

But rest assured, GMs are playing somebody.

Rahan

May 27, 2003
Chicoutimi
Visit site
X-SHARKIE said:
Mabey he doesn't like Lauri, or mabey he doesn't want Barker so he's tricking the Hawks into thinking that Barker is by far the best player available so that there the ones getting the offers to trade down and the Hawks take Barker? IDK.

Or mabey i'm just paranoid. Last year Doug Wilson publically ripped Thomas Vanek before the draft, and he sure stuck to his guns. But that was a first in SJ.

1998, Dean Lombardi worked me, and all the rest of the Sharks fans....and Nashville, thinking were drafting Legwand, we traded out and got Nashvilles 29th overall pick..
We got Brad Stuart and Johnothan Cheechoo instead of Legwand.
I mean Lombardi and his staff would always give out fale word... Marcel Goc is a very good skater, but pre draft they said that his skating was an issue to others.

GM's can be tricky. I'm not saying ...this is all crack, but I just said...MABEY...Key word...MABEY BLuffing.
MABEY bluff, mabey.

Hockeycrazed07

Jun 15, 2002
Buena Vista, VA
www.hockeycrazed.com
X-SHARKIE said:

Seems to me that at a STH function, DW said the team really liked Vanek. He then added that he was possibly blowing smoke, which he was.

~Crazed.

rupispupis

Apr 26, 2004
X-SHARKIE said:
That's funny!!! I think the Hawks could give a s**t about what Doug has to say. They are in the drivers's seat (picking ahead of CLB), so Columbus will have to adjust based on what the Hawks do.
I'm a Hawks fan and I've read a lot of opinions, Including their official site.
Reading through the lines on the site, it seems they are very high on Ladd. The new THN mock has them taking Tukonen, and just about 90% of all other drafts have them taking Olesz.
Here is what I think:
Olesz - 30%
Ladd - 30%
Tukonen - 30%
Barker - 10%
Take from it what you will.

speeds

Feb 27, 2002
St.Albert
Visit site
to me, the most sense to be made is CLB trading up from 4 to 3, too bad they don't have their 2nd anymore.

Sure, CHI has a bunch of them, but unless they have Barker at #3, why not?

Assuming, of course, that they can't move into the top 2 themselves

mazmin

Wig like a mink skin, soft like Twinkie dough
May 15, 2004
Winnipeg
Schremp. They need a playmaking center. In a few years they could have Nash-Schremp on the 1st line, and Svitov-Zherdev on the 2nd. :amazed:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->