Value of: Columbus-Florida Defense for Offense

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
I know this is a Florida and CBJ thread but seeing as CBJ are rebuilding what about this:

TML
Kapanen
Holl

CBJ
Savard

CBJ get a speedy young winger to play on RW, Plays PK and likely give you 40-50 points. Holl needs a change of scenery and can play third pairing.

TML get a steady defensive D man who is a little older and only has this year and next on his contract. Pushes Ceci down to the third pairing where he should excel.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
I know this is a Florida and CBJ thread but seeing as CBJ are rebuilding what about this:

TML
Kapanen
Holl

CBJ
Savard

CBJ get a speedy young winger to play on RW, Plays PK and likely give you 40-50 points. Holl needs a change of scenery and can play third pairing.

TML get a steady defensive D man who is a little older and only has this year and next on his contract. Pushes Ceci down to the third pairing where he should excel.
Columbus has a RW depth of Atkinson-Bjorkstrand-Anderson. They need a few upgrades up front but RW is one place they dont

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Columbus has a RW depth of Atkinson-Bjorkstrand-Anderson. They need a few upgrades up front but RW is one place they dont

Yeah, that fun little detail is IMO the reason that Kapanen for Nutivaara isn't too obvious to not happen.

Maybe Johnsson?

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Trochek for Nutivaara, Gavrikov

Somebody will probably say, Trochek for Werenski would be a better trade, but Florida doesn't need another offensive defenseman.

Nutivaara and Gavrikov are young and already capable to fulfil top4 roles with responsible defensive play, and Trochek will add a much needed offense to Columbus.

Dumais

It's All In The Reflexes
Jul 24, 2013
I wish but doubt it; maybe add a center? I tried to trade Murray for Borgstrom and that was turned down. I think they want to see what they have before trading any of their centers. Maybe we will have better luck with Panther fans around TDL?

Reactions: ThePatientPanther

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
I wish but doubt it; maybe add a center? I tried to trade Murray for Borgstrom and that was turned down. I think they want to see what they have before trading any of their centers. Maybe we will have better luck with Panther fans around TDL?

Panthers defense is so terrible, that even McDavid won't compensate it, and Trochek isn't McDavid.

Nutivaara and Gavrikov are RD and LD, i.e. it's an all-ready pair to play top4 roles on a team like Panthers and be their best defensive pair. They are still young and pretty cheap salary wise, which can be important as well.

I think, the trade like this would improve both teams drastically.

Dumais

It's All In The Reflexes
Jul 24, 2013
No disagreement here about value, I like Nuti and Gavrikov (last night was his first bad game IMO) and don't really want to trade them ATM. But I would trade just about anyone for a young center.

I think it will take a bit of an overpayment to get any center out of Florida. Hopefully when/if they do want to move one of their centers; Jarmo will make an offer.

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
Id rather do Nuti and Peeke Or Savard and Peeke. I think the deal can be.made.without Gavrikov.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Trochek for Nutivaara, Gavrikov

Somebody will probably say, Trochek for Werenski would be a better trade, but Florida doesn't need another offensive defenseman.

Nutivaara and Gavrikov are young and already capable to fulfil top4 roles with responsible defensive play, and Trochek will add a much needed offense to Columbus.
I think FLA would prefer getting 1 D man better than either of those guys if there were going to trade Trochek.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Notice the space in my post.

1 D as in 1 person. Not in as a #1D.

Thanks for the astronomy lesson though.

Ah, sorry, my bad.

Well, I think, Nutivaara + Gavrikov are better, than just a single defenseman, because a) they both are very good players and b) they can realistically be obtained.

I'm 100% sure, for example, together, they are better, than Werenski, because they are cheaper (combined) and play better defense.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Panthers defense is so terrible, that even McDavid won't compensate it, and Trochek isn't McDavid.

Nutivaara and Gavrikov are RD and LD, i.e. it's an all-ready pair to play top4 roles on a team like Panthers and be their best defensive pair. They are still young and pretty cheap salary wise, which can be important as well.

I think, the trade like this would improve both teams drastically.

As pointed out by Dema, it'd be hard to get Trocheck out of FLA as Borgstrom is nowhere ready for a 2C role, he's been overtaken by Malgin as 3C right now and has been a healthy scratch for 3 games.
Appreciate trying to fill needs on D along with their cheap contracts but at that point, we're filling one need and creating an even bigger one imo.

Florida needs RD about as badly as we need LD. Which is to say, it's kind of the opposite of a need.

LD is slightly more important short term (1-2 year deals), RD is more of a concern in relation to prospects.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
As pointed out by Dema, it'd be hard to get Trocheck out of FLA as Borgstrom is nowhere ready for a 2C role, he's been overtaken by Malgin as 3C right now and has been a healthy scratch for 3 games.
Appreciate trying to fill needs on D along with their cheap contracts but at that point, we're filling one need and creating an even bigger one imo.

LD is slightly more important short term (1-2 year deals), RD is more of a concern in relation to prospects.

I think, it's a little bit different: you fill a bigger need and create a smaller one. Especially if Barkov starts to play like Barkov.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
I think, it's a little bit different: you fill a bigger need and create a smaller one. Especially if Barkov starts to play like Barkov.

Borgstrom has played 57 games, 9 G and 19pts, -17
Malgin has played 153 games, 25 G and 51pts, -10 and a good amount of them were as a RW

Trocheck's stat line the last few years:

16-17: 23 G, 54 pts in 82 games
17-18: 31 G, 75 pts in 82 games
18-19: 10 G, 34 pts in 55 games (foot injury)
19-20: 1 G, 5pts in 7 games.

or in his career, 372 games with 102 G and 251pts

We simply don't have a replacement for his production or experience as a 2C. He's a 50-60pt player with a sweetheart deal and as much as he has problems finding chemistry, his line isn't struggling offensively at all.
I'd rather have Barkov and Trocheck both catch fire and try and outscore our issues on D or simply trade some futures like a 1st/2nd + prospect for a LD with 1-2 years left and not give up one of the better 2C's in the league.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Borgstrom has played 57 games, 9 G and 19pts, -17
Malgin has played 153 games, 25 G and 51pts, -10 and a good amount of them were as a RW

Trocheck's stat line the last few years:

16-17: 23 G, 54 pts in 82 games
17-18: 31 G, 75 pts in 82 games
18-19: 10 G, 34 pts in 55 games (foot injury)
19-20: 1 G, 5pts in 7 games.

or in his career, 372 games with 102 G and 251pts

We simply don't have a replacement for his production or experience as a 2C. He's a 50-60pt player with a sweetheart deal and as much as he has problems finding chemistry, his line isn't struggling offensively at all.
I'd rather have Barkov and Trocheck both catch fire and try and outscore our issues on D or simply trade some futures like a 1st/2nd + prospect for a LD with 1-2 years left and not give up one of the better 2C's in the league.

While the trope is that "defense wins championships", the truth is we've seen more teams with "meh" defenses win the Cup than we have teams with poor 2nd line Cs win.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad