Proposal: Columbus - Devils

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Nutivaara for Gusev

NJD has some nice forwards, but not enough good defensemen. The Jackets have plenty of good defensemen, but not enough good forwards. They play in the same division and should help each other to make the one even better and stronger.

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
makes no sense for columbus and NJ won’t ship out a guy they traded for so recently

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Columbus doesn't really have much incentive to help New Jersey out of it's issue. The Devils really need help at #1LHD, and now. I don't think the Jackets have any sense of urgency. Kekalainen chose to pass on Gusev (he made a close offer but not worth what New Jersey offered), and go into the season with Nyquist, Texier, and Foligno as his top 9 LWs. They haven't been an issue so far. Merzlikins looked bad in his one game, that's about the only new information in Columbus.

Now as a Russian fan, Kshahdoo, I'm guessing you think Gusev would slot in above those LWs, and maybe you'd be right. I don't know. The only thing that would have possibly changed Kekalainen's evaluation is if he's impressed by what Gusev has done in the last 4 games. Perhaps he thought it was too risky a pickup but he really likes what Gusev has done so far?

Reactions: Viqsi and Dumais

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Columbus doesn't really have much incentive to help New Jersey out of it's issue. The Devils really need help at #1LHD, and now. I don't think the Jackets have any sense of urgency. Kekalainen chose to pass on Gusev (he made a close offer but not worth what New Jersey offered), and go into the season with Nyquist, Texier, and Foligno as his top 9 LWs. They haven't been an issue so far. Merzlikins looked bad in his one game, that's about the only new information in Columbus.

Now as a Russian fan, Kshahdoo, I'm guessing you think Gusev would slot in above those LWs, and maybe you'd be right. I don't know. The only thing that would have possibly changed Kekalainen's evaluation is if he's impressed by what Gusev has done in the last 4 games. Perhaps he thought it was too risky a pickup but he really likes what Gusev has done so far?

Why shouldn't he like it? Gusev has scored 2 goals in 4 games, playing 3rd-4th line minutes

Look at this beauty.

Or look at this pass

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I still wouldn't mind picking up Gusev, but I'm not in any particular hurry and I don't see why NJD would be either.

Dumais

It's All In The Reflexes
Jul 24, 2013
Alone, not the one we need. In a package, hopefully someone better than Jenner/Wennberg. Who could also be packaged with Nutivaara along with a pick or something.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Alone, not the one we need. In a package, hopefully someone better than Jenner/Wennberg. Who could also be packaged with Nutivaara along with a pick or something.

Not sure what C's are on the block, but I don't think Wennberg + Nuti get back any center of note. You'd most likely get back a once well-regarded guy now sliding a bit, or another version of Wennberg. You certainly wouldn't be getting anything like a 25-28 year old proven #2 or anything.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
Am I missing something here? We're going to trade a top line scoring forward to a division rival for a defenseman with a career high of 21 points?

Dumais

It's All In The Reflexes
Jul 24, 2013
Not sure what C's are on the block, but I don't think Wennberg + Nuti get back any center of note. You'd most likely get back a once well-regarded guy now sliding a bit, or another version of Wennberg. You certainly wouldn't be getting anything like a 25-28 year old proven #2 or anything.
A little veteran leadership (30ish) that can provide 50points and anchor the second line while helping PLD develop into a number 1C. Somebody who can provide some stability to our offence. As for the other...

I never asked.

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
Am I missing something here? We're going to trade a top line scoring forward to a division rival for a defenseman with a career high of 21 points?

You’re missing a ton, actually, if you’re calling Gusev a top-line scoring forward this quickly, and if you’re judging Nutivaara by his point totals.

That said, hard pass by New Jersey.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
A little veteran leadership (30ish) that can provide 50points and anchor the second line while helping PLD develop into a number 1C. Somebody who can provide some stability to our offence. As for the other...

I never asked.
Guys who fit that general criteria from last year:
Kevin Hayes
Mikael Granlund
Brayden Schenn
Phillip Danault
Brock Nelson
Carl Soderberg
Ryan Getzlaf
Chris Tierney
Mikael Backlund
Tyler Johnson
Travis Zajac

Seems like a list of guys 1/2 of which you wouldn't want and the other 1/2 the other team wouldn't do.

Apr 9, 2009
USA

Are you missing something? Depends on why you're evaluating a young defenseman on his point totals.

So yeah, I'd say you're missing something. Nuti is a good player and it seems that you have missed all his games.

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC

Top line forward LMAO.

You're also underselling Nutivaara, he would be your best defensive defenseman.

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
He's better, than Kakko, and most Rangers fans are sure, Kakko is a top line player.

What does Kakko have to do with this?

You Devils fans have been so desperate to put him down every chance you get since the draft despite being blown away by his WHC performance but had to let that dream die before it could ever start and had to convince yourselves Hughes was the right pick because Hynes (Hahaha) was already coaching him.

Gusev has 5 five NHL games to his credit. There is no way you can call him a top line winger yet. And just stating facts, Nuti would be the Devils best defensive defenseman. If it makes you feel better I would love to have him on the Rangers and he would be a damn good fit alongside Trouba to form some semblance of a top line pairing.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad