Post-Game Talk: Columbus Blue Jackets at New York Rangers - March 20

Status
Not open for further replies.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
I wouldn't trade Kreider either.

With Bergevin everything is possible and I would certainly entertain the idea but honestly, I think I would decline.

Fair enough. Together they have proven they are as close to first line as we have over last couple years.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
He's one of the most consistent players in the league

Putting up points every night is not consistency. It's an internet fantasy.

Hell, I think most people fantasize about him avoiding those 7-9 game stretches without a goal.

I believe that's happened about 8 times over the last three seasons, including this season.

Again, I like Chris Kreider a lot. And some of the complaints are silly. But let's be careful about chalking people's frustrations up to just pure fantasy.

Reactions: ReggieDunlop68

NYR

Mar 1, 2002
LI
He's one of the most consistent players in the league

Putting up points every night is not consistency. It's an internet fantasy.

Well since you get all of your charts from the internet and I get my info from the ice I guess that would make you partially right lol.

Seriously speaking though..He does disappear for a good amount of games..

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Kreider absolutely does not have the skills to be a dominant player in the league. He has two specific elite skills..very fast straight ahead speed, and size to go with it.

His shot is hard but he's not even vaguely accurate enough to be a real sniper. His hands are decent but he's not a dangler, his passing is fine but he's not a playmaker,etc.

The myth that Kreider is somehow this superstar that just doesn't try hard enough of play consistently enough and has all the talent in the world to be elite is just...silly. He doesn't. He is a good first line winger who does a great job driving play. He's not an elite top level player who just hasn't applied himself hard enough to reach it. He doesn't have the skills for that.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
A lot of you get it with Kreider, and I don't mean to lump together everyone who's mentioned his name in a trade. That wasn't my intention.

For those of you still don't get it, here it is one more time. Kreider's ceiling when he was drafted was a 30-30 power forward. Realistically, he was closer to 25-25. He was never supposed to be Corey Perry. If you thought he was, please show me what scouting reports you read, because you read them wrong. He's pretty much met his ceiling and has far exceeded conservative expectations. No, he never hit 30 goals or 60 points. He hit 28 in a year he got hurt and he's pacing for 55 this year. If 2 goals and 5 points ruins your Christmas, that's your problem.

Kreider is not a skilled player. His shooting, passing, and hands are all below average. I can't think of a single hockey skill he does particularly well. So comparing him to elite snipers was always unrealistic. What he does have is, he's athletic, he's smart, and he works hard. He's made it work. He's made it work more than he ever should have.

He scores ugly goals. Bounces, tips, re-directions, rebounds. Sometimes they go, sometimes they don't, but he gets chances every night. He's not an inconsistent player.

This is it. This is Chris Kreider. There isn't going to be any more. He's pretty much exactly what they said his ceiling was in 2009. He's been in the system nine years. If you're still expecting more, it's your fault at this point.

Last edited:

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
When all is said and done, Kreider has more or less been a 21 goal, 45-50 point player.

Whenever he's locked in, his biggest fans use that to project him closer to a 30 goal pace.

When he's not locked in, his biggest critics use that to ride him.

Maybe, at age 27, Chris Kreider is...Chris Kreider.

And like most things we struggle with on this board, maybe we have to accept that and not try to spin it into something different.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Well since you get all of your charts from the internet and I get my info from the ice I guess that would make you partially right lol.

Seriously speaking though..He does disappear for a good amount of games..

Apparently, he disappears for a good amount of games, but two pages ago he was the only reason Zibanejad has 25 goals in 63 games.

Your ability to switch things up on the fly to fit your agenda - now that's consistent.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Hell, I think most people fantasize about him avoiding those 7-9 game stretches without a goal.

I believe that's happened about 8 times over the last three seasons, including this season.

Again, I like Chris Kreider a lot. And some of the complaints are silly. But let's be careful about chalking people's frustrations up to just pure fantasy.

Connor McDavid went 10 games without a goal last year when he led the league with 100 points.

That's a thing. Players are human.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
When all is said and done, Kreider has more or less been a 21 goal, 45-50 point player.

Whenever he's locked in, his biggest fans use that to project him closer to a 30 goal pace.

When he's not locked in, his biggest critics use that to ride him.

Maybe, at age 27, Chris Kreider is...Chris Kreider.

And like most things we struggle with on this board, maybe we have to accept that and not try to spin it into something different.

He has 42 goals over his last 124 games. 28 goal pace.

I guess he's been locked in for 124 games. Glad to see we're in agreement.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Connor McDavid went 10 games without a goal last year when he led the league with 100 points.

That's a thing. Players are human.

Without a doubt.

But you just kind of responded to your own observation there --- Connor McDavid went 10 games without a goal...and scored 100 points.

That's a little easier to overlook when you put up 40-50 additional points.

Admitedly, 6-8 stretches over the last three seasons of going 7-9 games without a goal adds up to a pretty decent amount of games. Certainly not a small number.

Ultimately, it is what it is. But I think when you talk about two stretches equating to roughly 1/4 of the NHL season, every season, consistency isn't exactly the word that comes to mind and I think some people's frustrations have some basis.

NYR

Mar 1, 2002
LI
While I'm certainly not a huge fan and I'll never put Kreider in an elite status category, I will say this,
If Michael Grabner can utilize his speed and net 27 goals 2 years consecutively then it shouldn't be so unreasonable to think Kreider can do the same.
Kreider also adds a net front presence.
He should have better numbers IMO.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
While I'm certainly not a huge fan and I'll never put Kreider in an elite status category, I will say this,
If Michael Grabner can utilize his speed and net 27 goals 2 years consecutively then it shouldn't be so unreasonable to think Kreider can do the same.

Kreider had 28 goals last year and I suspect he'd be close to that again this year if he didn't have the whole blood clot possibility of dying thing going on

NYR

Mar 1, 2002
LI
Apparently, he disappears for a good amount of games, but two pages ago he was the only reason Zibanejad has 25 goals in 63 games.

Your ability to switch things up on the fly to fit your agenda - now that's consistent.

I have no agenda.
I just call it the way I SEE it but whatever suits your charts bro lol.
Zib has been completely irrelevant until Kreider came back.
That's a fact and how you can deny it is completely beyond me..

Reactions: NCRanger

NYR

Mar 1, 2002
LI
Kreider had 28 goals last year and I suspect he'd be close to that again this year if he didn't have the whole blood clot possibility of dying thing going on

Last year he also had a play making center..

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
He has 42 goals over his last 124 games. 28 goal pace.

I guess he's been locked in for 124 games. Glad to see we're in agreement.

Ah, but I too can play the selective data game my young, opinionated friend.

First 13 games, 3 goals.

Last 24 games, 4 goals.

7 goals in 37 games,

6 in the other 11 games.

Approx pace for the season... 22.6 goals.

Career average...22.5.

Chris Kreider being Chris Kreider? More or less.

085806c4e3176e0.jpg

Rongomania

Dec 31, 2017
Inwood

He really strikes me as that type of guy (as long as he stays healthy) who once he gets that ‘C’ on his chest, he will play even better or keep doing what he’s been doing lately. I really do believe that this is in his mind right now. The captaincy is up for grabs, the team is still wide open for movement, he knows he can be ‘the guy’. He has a presence and leads quite well on the ice. Going to be huge for these kids. Or he’ll be traded within four months. Such a bizarre, scary & just awesome time to be a fan of this team. I’m excited for this weird as **** season to be over.

NYR

Mar 1, 2002
LI
He really strikes me as that type of guy (as long as he stays healthy) who once he gets that ‘C’ on his chest, he will play even better or keep doing what he’s been doing lately. I really do believe that this is in his mind right now. The captaincy is up for grabs, the team is still wide open for movement, he knows he can be ‘the guy’. He has a presence and leads quite well on the ice. Going to be huge for these kids. Or he’ll be traded within four months. Such a bizarre, scary & just awesome time to be a fan of this team. I’m excited for this weird as **** season to be over.

I'm scared.
This is craziness :laugh:

Reactions: Rongomania

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise

Personally, I've always felt Kreider should be a consistent 30 goal scorer.

But the reality is that we've spent more time talking about Chris Kreider potentially being a 30 goal guy, than Chris has actually spent as one.

To this point, he's been that guy once.

Now there are many possible reasons why --- ranging from centers, to the coaches, to systems, to blood clots, etc.

But the reality is that if we're talking about a simple conversation about scoring goals, it more often than not has come down to us talking about "next year."

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Ah, but I too can play the selective data game my young, opinionated friend.

First 13 games, 3 goals.

Last 24 games, 4 goals.

7 goals in 37 games,

6 in the other 11 games.

Approx pace for the season... 22.6 goals.

Career average...22.5.

Chris Kreider being Chris Kreider? More or less.

085806c4e3176e0.jpg

7 goals in 37 games when he was playing through injury. That sure is selective.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I have no agenda.
I just call it the way I SEE it but whatever suits your charts bro lol.
Zib has been completely irrelevant until Kreider came back.
That's a fact and how you can deny it is completely beyond me..

And now we're right back to Kreider carrying Zibanejad.

Kreider can't be a lazy second liner and carrying a player on a 32 goal pace. Pick one.

Vinny DeAngelo

Jimmy Easy to defend
Mar 17, 2014
florida
Grabner also doesn’t face nearly the same competition. Grabner feeds on 3rd pair dmen, when kreider is going against the other teams best men every night

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad