NFL: Colts hiring Eagles OC Shane Steichen to be head coach

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Only 38. OC for the past 2 years with Philly and finsihed out the last bit of the 2019 and all of the 2020 season with Chargers as OC taking over from Wisenhunt in-season. Was QB coach for the last bit of River's career with Chargers from 2016 onwards until 2019.

3 plus years as OC and 3 years as QB coach.

Wonder what he and the Colts decided to do at QB. Most likely draft a guy. Just a matter of who they truly covet, which is still early without the combine and pro days.

Reactions: Voight

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Really thought Irsay was going to keep Saturday. Looks like the football guys won this battle.
Let’s see what role he gets, if any. If it’s no role, then the whole thing was just about Saturday being Irsay’s Jerry Johnson.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Colts will draft QB it seems to be assured at this point and coach/QB fates will be intertwined as if often case in these scenarios of both being brought into organization together.

From what I saw of Eagles this year the coaching on offensive side of ball was good, so Steichen deserves credit for that as well as progression of Hurts

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
The Eagles want to promote Brian Johnson anyways, he has the personal relationship with Hurts.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Seems solid, but they're a massive question mark at QB for the forseeable future unless their first round QB selection is a solid NFL starter very quickly, and the organizational stink of the glue factory brass makes me doubt that he'll have much success (especially if Irsay thinks he has the chops to pretend being a know-it-all and meddles some more).

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Seems solid, but they're a massive question mark at QB for the forseeable future unless their first round QB selection is a solid NFL starter very quickly, and the organizational stink of the glue factory brass makes me doubt that he'll have much success (especially if Irsay thinks he has the chops to pretend being a know-it-all and meddles some more).

Irsay is a lunatic, but you look at what the Colts do, he is not a meddler. He lets his people do the work. Just leave him alone to get high in his suite and be cool about it.

• Haha
Reactions: Blackhawkswincup

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Irsay is a lunatic, but you look at what the Colts do, he is not a meddler. He lets his people do the work. Just leave him alone to get high in his suite and be cool about it.

Sure, but the temp Saturday hire and his offseason braggadocio over knowing football talent makes me think he's trying to get more involved than in the past.

Reactions: Voight

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Sure, but the temp Saturday hire and his offseason braggadocio over knowing football talent makes me think he's trying to get more involved than in the past.
He’s definitely putting pressure on Ballard to solve the QB issue. Colts have good talent just not at the premium positions. OT, WR, DE, CB. Have it at RB, OG, LB. Need more player makers at those important positions.

Unholy Diver

Oct 13, 2002
in the midnight sea

The fact he tweets out every guy they bring in for workouts and sign to futures deals and stuff like that makes me wonder if he might be a bit more of a meddler than in the past

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland

Turning up heat on GM is not meddling though

I dont recall Irsay ever demanding who his GM drafts for instance or signs

But its not an issue IMO for an owner to put his GM on notice that he wants results/improvement in situation

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad