Colts' Blackwood the best of slim OHL group of NHL goaltending properties in 2015-16

HF Article

Nov 16, 2005
mackenzie_blackwood_barrie_colts_5.jpg
Photo: Barrie Colts goaltender and New Jersey Devils prospect Mackenzie Blackwood ranked sixth in the OHL in goals-against average and tied for first in save percentage in 2015-16 (courtesy of Terry Wilson/OHL Images)

</p>The NHL-drafted goaltending ranks are fairly slim in the Ontario Hockey League, but what it lacks in quantity it makes up for in quality – at least with the top three netminders. While there is some talent at the lower end, the goaltending prospects are certainly more promising at the top of the list.

1. Mackenzie Blackwood, Barrie Colts (NJD)
Selected in the second round, 42nd overall, in the 2015 NHL Draft

Mackenzie Blackwood has shown consistency and solid play between the pipes for the past two years to position himself not only as the top NHL-drafted netminder, but easily one of the top goalies in the entire league.… read more

The post Colts’ Blackwood the best of slim OHL group of NHL goaltending properties in 2015-16 appeared first on Hockey's Future.

More...

Scorcho

Twitter @AmateurAdult11
Apr 16, 2010
Space
read this, was nice to see mack black getting some love, also saw some posters from another team mentioning wedgewood as a possible target to snag as a young up and coming goalie

feels good man

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
Overall, even though he had some downs and adversity this season, I think Blackwood had a good year, and I hope that he can build on it in the future. Really believe the Devils have a promising prospect in him.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I think we claimed we had him the top rated goalie on our board, but of course that's always subjective.

Scorcho

Twitter @AmateurAdult11
Apr 16, 2010
Space
I think we claimed we had him the top rated goalie on our board, but of course that's always subjective.

honestly it's up in the air IMO if samsonov ever plays in the NHL, he's under contract with Metallurg through 2018, though he has been playing well in the KHL.

but i wouldn't be surprised if the KHL made a pu$h to keep him there

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E

I believe Shero confirmed that. Goalies are weird, but Blackwood was definitely highly touted.

I'm still fine with the pick. We needed depth in net inside the system, and we got KPalm as our defacto 2nd pick anyway.

I think we will look back at this draft extremely foundly. Lots of potential at every pick, and various needs were addressed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad