Value of: Colton Sissons

HenrikW

Feb 21, 2018
I am merely curious if Colton Sissons could be had for the right price? What does Nashville fans think he's worth in a trade?

There's talks about Nashville trying to sign Duchene, that would mean Johansen, Duchene, Turris (atm untradable) Sissons, Bonino down the middle. as of 19/20.

Sissons is a fantastic 3rd C at this point, but it could be difficult to justify the kind of cash he could be commanding as a 4th line C. You could move him to a wing, but maybe it could be worth to consider selling high. Any thoughts?

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
This thread was started last week too, and didn't get very far. The bottom line is Sissons is not available. He's worth more to us in a trade than any team would be able to justify giving up. He would be viewed as our long-term 3C, with the versatility to slide up and take on even more minutes if needed, so there's no problem whatsoever justifying his salary.

Reactions: GeauxPreds1

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
Unless he netted someone like Puljujarvi (someone with higher potential but seems to be struggling to get there in his current situation), he won't be traded.

If he doesn't get someone like that, Bonino/Turris/Both will become odd man out in a Duchene signing situation.

Reactions: GeauxPreds1

GeauxPreds1

Jul 5, 2017
Murfreesboro
Unless he netted someone like Puljujarvi (someone with higher potential but seems to be struggling to get there in his current situation), he won't be traded.

If he doesn't get someone like that, Bonino/Turris/Both will become odd man out in a Duchene signing situation.
Yea I tend to agree that if Duchene comes to nashville turris and/or Bonino gets traded before Sissons

HenrikW

Feb 21, 2018
Don't you think teams would look to take advantage of the fact that this move (whatever this move is) will be made to facilitate Duchene? Seems like Preds fans are certain Turris/Bonino could be swung easily

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Don't you think teams would look to take advantage of the fact that this move (whatever this move is) will be made to facilitate Duchene? Seems like Preds fans are certain Turris/Bonino could be swung easily
I don't think any of us sees Sissons pulling in enough $$$ as an RFA that he makes a dent in the Duchene pursuit, though. At $2.5M-ish he's just all the more reason that we can more readily part with Turris or Bonino, who are paid a lot more, but who are also fair value for their current roles. So yeah, keep the younger cheaper version instead.

Or at least wait until it's a real problem. Sign Duchene first and then see what happens. If for some reason the ONLY way to possibly avoid being over the cap is to sacrifice the young, cheap, long-term #3C player we like so much... ok, I guess at the end of the day we make that sacrifice. But it seems hard to believe that could ever be the only way. With our surplus on RD, with Turris and Bonino at C, with impending UFAs in Smith and Granlund on the wings, there is almost certainly no way it ever comes down to that. :dunno:

HenrikW

Feb 21, 2018
No doubt is Sissons the best fit for 3rd C. gotta think of those 3 (Turris, Sissons, Bonino), Sissons has got the be the guy that would generate the most positive value in return. Also seems like you'd be paying him to play a position that's already taken if Duchene is signed. Then the question is not is Sissons the best fit but if Turris could be moved in a satisfactory manner

Although I suppose the answer to this is just to have Sissons on the wing.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton

With some of the flaming garbage heap offers out there for Puljujarvi, Sissons is downright philanthropic.

Reactions: Bringer of Jollity

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
No doubt is Sissons the best fit for 3rd C. gotta think of those 3 (Turris, Sissons, Bonino), Sissons has got the be the guy that would generate the most positive value in return. Also seems like you'd be paying him to play a position that's already taken if Duchene is signed. Then the question is not is Sissons the best fit but if Turris could be moved in a satisfactory manner

Although I suppose the answer to this is just to have Sissons on the wing.
I think if we sign Duchene we aren't too worried about the value we generate in return for Turris or Bonino. We could literally give them away and it would feel like a net win - some people seem to interpret that as an active desire to dump those players, but no, it's just a matter of perspective. We don't NEED any positive value return on them if we have Duchene. We should be able to get something all the same, but it's not going to be a driver.

Turris had a bad year, but actually Bonino had quite a good season for us, I thought. He's not the most dynamic guy out there, but he quietly popped in 17 goals, did his usually thing defensively and on draws, and seems to have some character. I have no clue how his +/- ended up where it did given our lines and who he played with. There aren't a lot of centers on the UFA market. I guess I'd be a little surprised if we couldn't find a home for one of these guys. But by no means panicked about it either. Anybody could play wing temporarily. And we'd still have other ways to explore clearing cap space for Duchene.

It really isn't going to come down to trading Sissons. Again, unless some is giving us a crazy overpayment for him. In which case, sure, he's still just a 3C, go crazy and make us a crazy offer. But the only way trading Sissons is likely to be coupled to the cap is that it only makes him MORE difficult to pry away from us, not less... his anticipated lower cap hit actually RAISES his value to us and limits the options on your overpayment - i.e. we couldn't take some better/more expensive players back for him either. And we're not rebuilding and don't want any fair-value futures/picks for him. Sooooooo... pretty safe to say he's "unavailable".

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
I think if we sign Duchene we aren't too worried about the value we generate in return for Turris or Bonino. We could literally give them away and it would feel like a net win - some people seem to interpret that as an active desire to dump those players, but no, it's just a matter of perspective. We don't NEED any positive value return on them if we have Duchene. We should be able to get something all the same, but it's not going to be a driver.

Turris had a bad year, but actually Bonino had quite a good season for us, I thought. He's not the most dynamic guy out there, but he quietly popped in 17 goals, did his usually thing defensively and on draws, and seems to have some character. I have no clue how his +/- ended up where it did given our lines and who he played with. There aren't a lot of centers on the UFA market. I guess I'd be a little surprised if we couldn't find a home for one of these guys. But by no means panicked about it either. Anybody could play wing temporarily. And we'd still have other ways to explore clearing cap space for Duchene.

It really isn't going to come down to trading Sissons. Again, unless some is giving us a crazy overpayment for him. In which case, sure, he's still just a 3C, go crazy and make us a crazy offer. But the only way trading Sissons is likely to be coupled to the cap is that it only makes him MORE difficult to pry away from us, not less... his anticipated lower cap hit actually RAISES his value to us and limits the options on your overpayment - i.e. we couldn't take some better/more expensive players back for him either. And we're not rebuilding and don't want any fair-value futures/picks for him. Sooooooo... pretty safe to say he's "unavailable".
I hope that's the fans' perspectives and not Poile's. I would be pretty disappointed at that type of asset management just because we got a player "for free" in an entirely unrelated move.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I hope that's the fans' perspectives and not Poile's. I would be pretty disappointed at that type of asset management just because we got a player "for free" in an entirely unrelated move.
Obviously it's the fan's perspective. Nobody here has Poile's perspective, that's implicit in every post. Obviously you also try to trade them first for something if something is out there. But at the same time, I don't think you just pass on Duchene because you feel you're set with Turris and Bonino. So if it's not at least within Poile's range of perspective to drop them "for free", it should be. If the timing lines up that we sign Duchene and thereby go over the cap, then teams aren't going to be lining up to be doing us any favors. The moves are TOTALLY related. It would be silly to think of them as unrelated. And realistically if we have Duchene then there is limited value to us in having Turris also. And since we have Sissons, there is limited value to us in having Bonino also. You don't do the team any favors by trading more valuable players instead just so you can say you didn't get snookered in a Turris/Bonino trade. If "for free" is the best that's out there, it might actually still be the best option for the team. Depending on how everything else played out. It could be the best asset management option on the table.

I suspect Poile will put his ducks in an order that doesn't lead to that situation. But I wouldn't fault him if he essentially traded Turris or Bonino for Duchene. That'd be a smart upgrade and good asset management. Cap space IS an asset to be managed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad