Prospect Info: Colorado's OHL Prospects Review

Foppa

Future Norris Winner
Feb 27, 2002
Kansas City, USA
Great stuff as always, Brock. Nice to read about Spencer Martin - he's a guy I have read very little about but seems to be a pretty solid goalie prospect.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
Did you pick Martin over Wood or is that simply the order the list went in? I'd be curious to hear your thoughts on that if it is a ranking.

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
Did you pick Martin over Wood or is that simply the order the list went in? I'd be curious to hear your thoughts on that if it is a ranking.

It is a ranking, so yes Martin was ranked ahead of Wood.

Martin is currently the better NHL prospect IMO. If he doesn't get injured last year, we're talking about him in a different light. His athleticism is fantastic and he has the prototypical NHL size that teams want in goalies now. He had previously been prone to bad goals and lack of focus, but that seemed to be much improved this year. His positioning and reads were noticeably better. As long as he returns from injury 100%, he's definitely still a potential starting goaltender in the NHL.

Wood is an interesting prospect and a guy I do really like. But there are still some warts there (skating, physical intensity, offensive reads) that need hammering out. Definitely a solid prospect with great size, but if both Martin and Wood pan out (reach their potential), Martin makes the greater impact.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Goalies tend to be really hit or miss with people. If you think a guy has legit NHL starter potential and there is a decent chance he can reach it, then you will rank them very high. If there are questions in your mind about either of those, then they tend to tumble way down.

Personally, if Martin doesn't get injured, I'd rank him much higher than I do (I think he has legit starting potential). He is a very athletic goalie that relies on his athleticism more than he should (getting much better in that area, and Allaire will help that), so an ACL injury scares me quite a bit. If he isn't close to what he used to be, he is going to have to change his style quite a bit and that worries me. He likely ends up in the ECHL this year and that should answer a number of the questions on him and his recovery.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
It is a ranking, so yes Martin was ranked ahead of Wood.

Martin is currently the better NHL prospect IMO. If he doesn't get injured last year, we're talking about him in a different light. His athleticism is fantastic and he has the prototypical NHL size that teams want in goalies now. He had previously been prone to bad goals and lack of focus, but that seemed to be much improved this year. His positioning and reads were noticeably better. As long as he returns from injury 100%, he's definitely still a potential starting goaltender in the NHL.

Wood is an interesting prospect and a guy I do really like. But there are still some warts there (skating, physical intensity, offensive reads) that need hammering out. Definitely a solid prospect with great size, but if both Martin and Wood pan out (reach their potential), Martin makes the greater impact.

Thanks for the explanation. There seems to be a pretty solid consensus around here that Wood is higher up than Martin. So hearing you confidently pick Martin helps drive home just how up in the air our prospects after the top ~5 really are.

I've seen people use Myers as a good example for what Wood's ceiling was with improved skating. Whereas I haven't seen a lot of people label Martin as someone with starter potential. So to me it seemed if both made the NHL it's likely a 3rd pairing versus backup situation.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad