Colorado's domination

McCombo

Nov 16, 2013
I have been dreaming that one day someone would build a team that is highly skilled and don't feature anchors. Most of the teams have these players, they are not skilled, they can't drive the play, overall they are well below average at the most important part in hockey, setting up and scoring goals. They are usually physical players. Enforcers or defensive defensemans. Analytics group has been pretty clearly against the old way of thinking that you need to have big bodies in the bottom6 that play dumb'n'chase hockey.

Joe Sakic has built that team. It is all about the puck possession. Incredible talented back-end (4-5 offensive/puck-moving Dman) that can move the puck without breaking a sweat, most of them are as skilled as forwards so offensive zone cycles are very dangerous when everyone can make that key pass or beat their man one on one. Most of the forwards are great play-drivers, there are no passengers. Of course they need a system that encourages them to keep the puck as much as possible. They don't dumb the puck unless they are forced to do it, because it is a lot more beneficial to exit and entry zones with possession. They do line changes with the puck as much as possible.

So how these "analytic darlings" have played? Had a fairly good start to the year, but nothing to get overly excited. Then they ran into injury problems. Now they are healthy again and have elevated their game to a completely new level. NHL hasn't really seen this kind of domination in a while.

Last 8 games Avs have out-shot teams 336-172 and out-scored 34-11.

5on5 possession, expected goal and scoring chance numbers this year are pretty crazy too. Leading corsi for%, fenwick for%, shots on goal for%, expected goals for% and scoring chances for%. And we aren't talking about tiny leads here. I would put most value on expected goals for%, Avs are at 59.08. Second in the league sits at 54.94. 15th in the league sits at 50.65. So the difference between first and second is almost as wide as between second and 15th.

And the craziest part is that every single regular (at leats 100mins 5on5) is above 50% in all of the aforementioned categories. Worst xG% in team belongs to J.T. Compher, 50.97.

Colorado NTS.png

This is the modern way to build a hockey team. Sakic has found a massive edge for Colorado. I am a bit jealous because my team is run by old-school hockey minds, but at least it is real treat to watch Colorado play.

Stats are from Natural stat trick.

Weast

May 16, 2011
Every player is playing as expected (sans compher). They each know their role, and are executing perfectly. It was fun and games to rag on the team when 3 of their top 4 D were out, but now that they are mostly healthy they are showing that they are among the favourites.

Reactions: jabubenice

Beauner

Jun 14, 2011
Pittsburgh
I have been dreaming that one day someone would build a team that is highly skilled and don't feature anchors. Most of the teams have these players, they are not skilled, they can't drive the play, overall they are well below average at the most important part in hockey, setting up and scoring goals. They are usually physical players. Enforcers or defensive defensemans. Analytics group has been pretty clearly against the old way of thinking that you need to have big bodies in the bottom6 that play dumb'n'chase hockey.
The 2016 Penguins, the current lightning and the early 2010s Hawks are literally what you just described.

Colorado's constructed really well, but don't act like this is some kind of brand new phenomenon

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
The Lightning of the last two years are better.

That's not meant as a criticism of the Avs at all, but to say you've been dreaming of it when we've *been* watching legitimately one of the best teams ever seems strange.

Lightning vs Avs is the only SCF. It needs to happen. It would be the first "big fight feel" SCF in a very long time.

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
No they're overrated. Grubauer is a mediocore starter, Makar is injury prone, MacKinnon is not as good as Draisaitl and Rantanen is a product of MacKinnon. They take bad shots from everywhere and their shots totals are inflated.

Agreed, they definitely aren't going anywhere until they get a proven winner...they need to find a way to steal Price out from under the Habs. Their also weak defensively, so they need to shore that up. Also, too small, they should have never traded Cole or Zadorov.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Leave the Avalanche alone. I want them to be all skill and possession because the Lightning are a grit n' grind team.

I NEED THIS

Nihiliste

Feb 8, 2010
It’s more like following the lead of the 16-17 Pens and recent Tampa teams.

Also they had a hard time with the physicality of the Stars last playoffs, much as Tampa had a hard time with the Caps in 2018.

McCombo

Nov 16, 2013
The 2016 Penguins, the current lightning and the early 2010s Hawks are literally what you just described.

Colorado's constructed really well, but don't act like this is some kind of brand new phenomenon
Olli Määttä, Brian Dumoulin, Ian Cole, Ben Lovejoy all played a lot of playoff games. Doesn't really seem like a highly skilled defense to me. Current lightning is close on defense but they still have way more two-way defenseman than offensive guys. And neither of those teams dominated stats like Colorado does now. Pittsburgh were 1st in xG but the gap to second was less than 0.5%. Tampa has never been dominating stats.

But the 2009-2010 Chicago definetely fits the bill. Keith, Byfuglien, Campbell, Seabrook in D and they led xG by 3 percentage points. Great find.

McCombo

Nov 16, 2013
It’s more like following the lead of the 16-17 Pens and recent Tampa teams.

Also they had a hard time with the physicality of the Stars last playoffs, much as Tampa had a hard time with the Caps in 2018.
They were hampered by injuries. 3rd goalie in net and bunch of regulars out. They have a better team this year too. Saad, Toews and Byram in the mix.

Reactions: Mordoch and Spirits

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
They started the season pretty sluggish, (3-3) but are finding their stride now.

I think one of the big keys for Colorado is they don’t have offensive defenceman, they have two-way defenceman.

You need d-men who can consistently skate and move the puck to control the flow of play in games, but often that comes at a cost. Sometimes those types of players are a liability in their own zone, but the Colorado D play well in all 3 zones. They are extremely efficient at getting pucks out of the D zone and all three pairs have a guy who’s skilled enough to support the forwards in the O-zone.

BlueOil

"well-informed"
Apr 28, 2010
colorado could set a record for the number of wins in a row, in a season, and most number of regular season points ever and the measuring stick would still be did they get past the second round. it's great the sample size finally fits the bravado and people can't use the overrated shtick though, congrats on that.

flying v 604

Sep 4, 2014
No they're overrated. Grubauer is a mediocore starter, Makar is injury prone, MacKinnon is not as good as Draisaitl and Rantanen is a product of MacKinnon. They take bad shots from everywhere and their shots totals are inflated.
I know you are being sarcastic but sounds about right. 2 weeks ago AVs fans were ready to lynch everyone, you play in the shittiest overrated div that has 5 teams that can't score.
People crap on the North but I have watched over 40 games from the West and almost all the North. Boring plug team's that somehow suck offensively but still 75% of the division can't stop a bloody puck.
The Avs and Vegas have it easy and no I haven't forgot the Blues they suck.

Aurinko

Apr 1, 2015
Finland
I don't really like their 2nd & 3rd line chemistry, seems more like individual efforts than strong team plays with those lines. The 4th line has been top tier for over a year an the 1st is obviously strong as well.

Mighty Makar

I hate this fu*ken team
May 24, 2016
I know you are being sarcastic but sounds about right. 2 weeks ago AVs fans were ready to lynch everyone, you play in the shittiest overrated div that has 5 teams that can't score.
People crap on the North but I have watched over 40 games from the West and almost all the North. Boring plug team's that somehow suck offensively but still 75% of the division can't stop a bloody puck.
The Avs and Vegas have it easy and no I haven't forgot the Blues they suck.
Your team is the Canucks and you’re saying the Blues suck? :laugh:

Overrated!

McCombo

Nov 16, 2013
Agreed, they definitely aren't going anywhere until they get a proven winner...they need to find a way to steal Price out from under the Habs. Their also weak defensively, so they need to shore that up. Also, too small, they should have never traded Cole or Zadorov.
I don't know are you serious, but Price has been below average goalie for years now. Weak defensively? They have allowed 2nd least scoring chances against, 4th least high danger chances against. Seems pretty damn good to me. And trading Zadorov and Cole are the reason why they are such a good team now. No 5on5 anchors who can't do a thing with the puck.

nightonthesun

Sep 8, 2013
New Jersey
Missing a very good #2C and an elite goalie to be the best in the league
Gru is currently 3rd in GAA, 5th in sv%, and 2nd in wins. Is this not elite? I am no expert.

Would take an upgrade over Kadri at 2C, but for his part, he's already got 10 goals and 25pts on the year. 17 of them at 5on5. I dunno. He's getting it done.

Reactions: McCombo

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad