Proposal: Colorado - Ottawa | Mark Stone

not a troll

Oct 24, 2012
You can't really fault the guy for not indicting the team as a basement team for next year before the season has already been played. Stranger things have happened. This is where the annoyance is coming from on the behalf of the Sens fanbase towards Avalanche fans. We are roasted day in, day out and it's tiring to hear about it, especially from the benefactor of the trade. Just take your 1st round asset and graciously go about your business. Bring it up again after this upcoming season is over. Will they be competitors? Obviously not, but COL finished basement, dead last, then made the playoffs the following year. EDM missed this year after being tipped to be Western Conference/Cup finalists. And yes we know COL improved in the offseason between the two, but let's not act like the NHL is predictable in any other way apart from Connor McDavid putting up 100pts and Brad Marchand spearing someone in the throat. It would be foolish to write them off before the season has already been played. Just let it go, the fixation is unnecessary, it's been rehashed ad nauseum since November.
Teams getting written off all the time before the first game puck drops. Why does Ottawa get to be an exception? Hot takes and predictions are part of off-season.

Reactions: pockets

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Yup.. Sens haven't missed the playoffs in back to back seasons in 16 years. 2 years ago you could argue they had a worse team than this upcoming season and what do you know they made the Conf finals.

We had Methot so no, it is hard to argue that the upcoming team should be better, on paper, than the 2016-2017 team.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
You can't really fault the guy for not indicting the team as a basement team for next year before the season has already been played. Stranger things have happened. This is where the annoyance is coming from on the behalf of the Sens fanbase towards Avalanche fans. We are roasted day in, day out and it's tiring to hear about it, especially from the benefactor of the trade. Just take your 1st round asset and graciously go about your business. Bring it up again after this upcoming season is over. Will they be competitors? Obviously not, but COL finished basement, dead last, then made the playoffs the following year. EDM missed this year after being tipped to be Western Conference/Cup finalists. And yes we know COL improved in the offseason between the two, but let's not act like the NHL is predictable in any other way apart from Connor McDavid putting up 100pts and Brad Marchand spearing someone in the throat. It would be foolish to write them off before the season has already been played. Just let it go, the fixation is unnecessary, it's been rehashed ad nauseum since November.
That is unfair to ask anyone to not prognosticate on the value of a pick with relation to the presumed finish of any team (check out the name site:naughty: ).

Call me crazy, I don't see many positives for the Senators since the Duchene trade and throwing out the Avalanche last season as a turn around is a fallacious argument, because you are overlooking all the factors the caused the 48 point season that they were able to resolve and the improvements they made for last year.

SensFactor

Oct 25, 2008
Ottawa
Last time I checked they had those exact same pieces last year outside of Tkachuk who is probably going back to college anyway.
They’ve also lost Hoffman since then. As well as Brassard who played 3/4’s of last season with the team.

Making a sales pitch of how good your team is when you have to mention 41 point career high Ryan Dzingel as the third best forward isn’t really going to convince us that Ottawa is a fringe playoff team like you’re suggesting.
Hey I look at the positive and the sens always surprise when every pundit on here writes them off. Sens made the playoffs with worse players in the past is all I'm saying and I never write off my team as they have a track record of playing well when they are counted out.

SensFactor

Oct 25, 2008
Ottawa
you could argue that and lose quite easily.
go ahead, 2018/2019 sens will be better then 2016/2017 sens because.......? our goalie is two years older? our star players are in contracts years? Their is no arugument for this version of the sens being the better team.
How about a friendly bet then? I bet that these Sens will be a fringe playoff team. I'm confident in the players we have.

SensFactor

Oct 25, 2008
Ottawa
I mean the Sens may or may not be terrible this year but I’m not sure how a list of secondary players like that, which basically any team in the league can match or beat, is supposed to convince anybody they are going to be anything but bad.
Secondary players perhaps but players that can still score and make big plays and I like how you ignored Duchene and Stone. With them two in the fold we still have a chance. Not to mention Karlsson until if and when he is traded.

SHANNYPLAN

Nov 24, 2016
Mark Stone
Erik Karlsson

For

Mikko Raantanen
Tyson Barrie
B Prospect
Colorado 1st
Ottawa 1st

Colorado gets to negotiate contracts prior to trade​

harrisb

Oct 6, 2009
Mark Stone
Erik Karlsson

For

Mikko Raantanen
Tyson Barrie
B Prospect
Colorado 1st
Ottawa 1st

So basically both EK and Stone signed. Do you trade a signed long term Matthews and Tavares for that package cause value is pretty close with RHD having a premium. It’s a melnyk move for sure but not a wise one. Ottawa should expect any team acquiring both those guys signed long term to empty their prospect pool cause that is a compete now move and full rebuild for Ottawa.

Morning Dart

Jun 22, 2013
Toronto
So basically both EK and Stone signed. Do you trade a signed long term Matthews and Tavares for that package cause value is pretty close with RHD having a premium. It’s a melnyk move for sure but not a wise one. Ottawa should expect any team acquiring both those guys signed long term to empty their prospect pool cause that is a compete now move and full rebuild for Ottawa.

False equivalence. Matthews and Tavares aren’t twiddling their thumbs waiting for UFA in a season, at which point every team (incl. Colorado) can get them for cash, like we just did with JT. Nor is the value of two elite #1Cs “close” to a 1RD + 1RW. Stone is quite easily the least valuable piece in the deal.

The proposal is bad (I mean, it’s Shannyplan), but not for who you think it is. Getting Rantanen (a PPG winger who’s what, 21?), Barrie, 2 1sts (including one that is probably top-5) for two guys who may just walk in 10 months time would be a coup for the Sens.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
Colorado gets to negotiate contracts prior to trade

Take Rantanen out and I still hesitate as an Avs fan. He's more valuable than a signed Stone, so what you're saying is Karlsson signed for 2 1sts, 2nd/B, Barrie plus.

I think both teams wait until the deadline to see what's going on. Avs want to ensure their 1st is well outside the top 10, Senators want time to keep their 1st out of the top 10. If either fails there may be a trade to be made between the two with one of those 1sts. But it won't include Rantanen, Barrie the other 1st and more.

pockets

Thank you, Bill!
Aug 12, 2003
Green Mountain
Mark Stone
Erik Karlsson

For

Mikko Raantanen
Tyson Barrie
B Prospect
Colorado 1st
Ottawa 1st

Holy fvcking terrible...

Avs will take Mikko over Stone 10 out of 10 times, and the difference between EK and Barrie is certainly not Ottawa's 1st, Colorado's 1st and a prospect.

Reactions: MacBradley

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
I have a feeling neither Karlsson or Stone would sign extensions with Avs at this point. They are so close to getting their pick of where they want to play next summer.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Mark Stone
Erik Karlsson

For

Mikko Raantanen
Tyson Barrie
B Prospect
Colorado 1st
Ottawa 1st

Awful for Colorado. Even if we call Stone/Rantanen a wash(It's not but for the sake of conversation we'll say it is).... We're trading Barrie, Colorado's 1st, Ottawa's 1st(Extremely likely to be Top 10 if not Top 5), and another B level prospect like Connor Timmins, for Karlsson?

That's absolutely terrible.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad