Proposal: Colorado - Ottawa | Mark Stone

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Ottawa could be in store for a historically bad season. Giving them their 1st back which could net a franchise type player is a lot in my eyes.

Territory

Jan 31, 2014
Toronto
Ottawa could be in store for a historically bad season. Giving them their 1st back which could net a franchise type player is a lot in my eyes.

Yeah but if they can get Stone to an extension he's worth a lot more than a 4th overall.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Yeah but if they can get Stone to an extension he's worth a lot more than a 4th overall.

They very well may have the worst record in the league. Potential 1st overall is a lot to give up.

Territory

Jan 31, 2014
Toronto
They very well may have the worst record in the league. Potential 1st overall is a lot to give up.

Like you said though, potential. Stone is a proven star player. The pick has the highest chance of being 4th overall, and thats assuming they finish last. They aren't the only terrible team in the league and could finish 2nd or 3rd last as well.

SensFactor

Oct 25, 2008
Ottawa
Last time I checked they have Duchene, Stone, and Karlsson still on this team as well as Ryan, Dzingel, Tkachuk, Formenton, Pageau and Anderson on his up year. They are a fringe playoff team if they go into this year with who they have.

Newusername

Jun 26, 2013
Last time I checked they have Duchene, Stone, and Karlsson still on this team as well as Ryan, Dzingel, Tkachuk, Formenton, Pageau and Anderson on his up year. They are a fringe playoff team if they go into this year with who they have.

Fringe playoff team lol

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010

And if you trade Karlsson like has been rumored for months then you’re a lotto team. If I’m Colorado I hold off on trading that 1st until I’m pretty damn sure of the situation there.

SensFactor

Oct 25, 2008
Ottawa
And if you trade Karlsson like has been rumored for months then you’re a lotto team. If I’m Colorado I hold off on trading that 1st until I’m pretty damn sure of the situation there.
How do you know this? Sens can easily get back 1 young stud and other pieces in the deal for Karlsson and use the money they will save to sign a dman or forward. This puts them right back in the race.

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
And yet Melnyk is on record multiple times as saying the team is not for sale and he does not want to sale it.

Hey a fact! Meaningless, but nonetheless a fact

Here are a few in response.
The EIG claimed the Oilers weren't for sale and that they weren't negotiating with Katz. Care to remind me who owns the Oilers?

Eugene Melnyk is a shady businessman with a long track record of lying on his resume. Feel free to give your "fact" all the importance it deserves.

Like I said, if you want to choose to ignore everything being presented in front of you go ahead.
Presents ONE "fact" when EVERYTHING is on his side of this discussion and then runs away to hide...too funny

I hope the Sens do figure things out for the sake of the rest of your fan base. On the other hand, I cant wait for you to be wrong to see how you twist things again for your own fantasy.

If the Sens aren't sold prior to EK starting his next contract I will gladly face the music.

Just make sure you are around when the sale is announced.

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
To me the most damning evidence has always been that Ryan was quoted after the trade deadline stating his agent told him that a trade had been made with him and Karlsson in it and that he thought he was gone. If Melnyk wanted to sell I don’t see why he would trade Karlsson as Karlsson would presumably be a big draw for a potential buyer, and there’s absolutely no way a deal wasn’t extremely close to being finalized going by the Ryan quote. The hiring of a new COO, extension to Dorion, and refinancing of debt also would be strange moves by Melnyk if a sale was imminent and less than a year away like some would suggest. I do think Melnyk is eventually going to sell but I don’t think it happens before the trade deadline of this year, which is when it would need to happen to retain Karlsson/Stone/Duchene as I don’t think another team is going to risk getting Tavares’d, if they won’t sign they’ve got to be traded.
You seem to be missing the rather important fact that EK was not dealt, at the deadline or around the draft, in spite of reports that it was a done deal.

The bizarre way the Sens have handled this whole situation could be explained by both sides trying to use the potential EK trade as a pressure point in the sale negotiations.

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
How do you know this? Sens can easily get back 1 young stud and other pieces in the deal for Karlsson and use the money they will save to sign a dman or forward. This puts them right back in the race.

Out of curiosity, which dman or forward do you think is out there that is going to put them right back in the race? With most of the big names signed, most of the guys left barely deserve NHL contracts, and aren't likely to be difference makers. I agree that the Sens can easily get back a good young player and other pieces, I just don't get part 2 of your plan.

Reactions: McMetal

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO

I mean the Sens may or may not be terrible this year but I’m not sure how a list of secondary players like that, which basically any team in the league can match or beat, is supposed to convince anybody they are going to be anything but bad.

Eltuna

Nov 12, 2017
You seem to be missing the rather important fact that EK was not dealt, at the deadline or around the draft, in spite of reports that it was a done deal.

The bizarre way the Sens have handled this whole situation could be explained by both sides trying to use the potential EK trade as a pressure point in the sale negotiations.
You don’t go so far as Ryan’s agent believing a deal had been made just to try and “scare” potential buyers into buying more quickly. If you believe a deal was not incredibly close to coming to fruition, then I don’t think you’re looking at this rationally at all. Threatening to destroy your own franchise is not a negotiation tactic that can be used to drive up the price of said franchise.

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
You don’t go so far as Ryan’s agent believing a deal had been made just to try and “scare” potential buyers into buying more quickly. If you believe a deal was not incredibly close to coming to fruition, then I don’t think you’re looking at this rationally at all. Threatening to destroy your own franchise is not a negotiation tactic that can be used to drive up the price of said franchise.
Melnyk might have perceived it to be a pressure point for the new buyers group which includes EK's mentor Alfie. I think Eugene misread the situation, but the fact that they have now TWICE pulled back from the brink of a deal suggests unusual stuff is going on behind the scenes.

Eltuna

Nov 12, 2017
Melnyk might have perceived it to be a pressure point for the new buyers group which includes EK's mentor Alfie. I think Eugene misread the situation, but the fact that they have now TWICE pulled back from the brink of a deal suggests unusual stuff is going on behind the scenes.
The situation has been unusual but not unprecedented, Duchene just last year was constantly in the rumour mill for over a year with many “close calls” to being traded. The reason he wasn’t traded was because teams weren’t offering enough, not because of some absurd scheme like what you’re proposing Melnyk is doing. Occam’s razor suggests the reason Karlsson hasn’t been traded this summer is because teams are trying to steal him rather than offer a fair package and that Melnyk is hoping the offers improve in November, just like they did for Duchene.

Last edited:

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Excuse after excuse.

So now things said on record only matter if it helps your story. Good lord you're a special kind of person.

Melnyk goes on record to say the team isn't for sale: Must be a lie by a shady businessman.

Duchene goes on record to say he wants to stay, despite having already wanted out of one team for being bad(After saying on record he wanted to stay with that team also): Take it to the grave, the man can tell no lie!

Hilarious if nothing else.

Reactions: Newusername

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010

Sign someone? It’s August my man.

Newusername

Jun 26, 2013
Yup.. Sens haven't missed the playoffs in back to back seasons in 16 years. 2 years ago you could argue they had a worse team than this upcoming season and what do you know they made the Conf finals.

you could argue that and lose quite easily.
go ahead, 2018/2019 sens will be better then 2016/2017 sens because.......? our goalie is two years older? our star players are in contracts years? Their is no arugument for this version of the sens being the better team.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Last time I checked they had those exact same pieces last year outside of Tkachuk who is probably going back to college anyway.
They’ve also lost Hoffman since then. As well as Brassard who played 3/4’s of last season with the team.

Making a sales pitch of how good your team is when you have to mention 41 point career high Ryan Dzingel as the third best forward isn’t really going to convince us that Ottawa is a fringe playoff team like you’re suggesting.

Reactions: avsfan09

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008
Last time I checked they had those exact same pieces last year outside of Tkachuk who is probably going back to college anyway.
They’ve also lost Hoffman since then. As well as Brassard who played 3/4’s of last season with the team.

Making a sales pitch of how good your team is when you have to mention 41 point career high Ryan Dzingel as the third best forward isn’t really going to convince us that Ottawa is a fringe playoff team like you’re suggesting.

You can't really fault the guy for not indicting the team as a basement team for next year before the season has already been played. Stranger things have happened. This is where the annoyance is coming from on the behalf of the Sens fanbase towards Avalanche fans. We are roasted day in, day out and it's tiring to hear about it, especially from the benefactor of the trade. Just take your 1st round asset and graciously go about your business. Bring it up again after this upcoming season is over. Will they be competitors? Obviously not, but COL finished basement, dead last, then made the playoffs the following year. EDM missed this year after being tipped to be Western Conference/Cup finalists. And yes we know COL improved in the offseason between the two, but let's not act like the NHL is predictable in any other way apart from Connor McDavid putting up 100pts and Brad Marchand spearing someone in the throat. It would be foolish to write them off before the season has already been played. Just let it go, the fixation is unnecessary, it's been rehashed ad nauseum since November.

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009
You can't really fault the guy for not indicting the team as a basement team for next year before the season has already been played. Stranger things have happened. This is where the annoyance is coming from on the behalf of the Sens fanbase towards Avalanche fans. We are roasted day in, day out and it's tiring to hear about it, especially from the benefactor of the trade. Just take your 1st round asset and graciously go about your business. Bring it up again after this upcoming season is over. Will they be competitors? Obviously not, but COL finished basement, dead last, then made the playoffs the following year. EDM missed this year after being tipped to be Western Conference/Cup finalists. And yes we know COL improved in the offseason between the two, but let's not act like the NHL is predictable in any other way apart from Connor McDavid putting up 100pts and Brad Marchand spearing someone in the throat. It would be foolish to write them off before the season has already been played. Just let it go, the fixation is unnecessary, it's been rehashed ad nauseum since November.
Being roasted daily is the essential part of this board. If people aren’t piling on to your misery, then there’s something wrong.

Avs fans have been roasted over the past years for a mulititude of things. We listened to a year long roasting of Sakic prior to the Duchene trade. The 48 point season. The trading of “1st overall” for Varlamov, etc.

Take your lumps. Yes, it’s annoying. But don’t worry, some new fan base will take your place. Hopefully it’s not you or us again the next time.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I’m not saying a turnaround isn’t a possibility. I’m saying that his reasoning for predicting a turnaround (the same guys are all returning) isn’t a justifiable reason why.

Colorado had something like 9 players from their 2016/17 season not play in the NHL last year. Their turnover was substantial. Preaching that the likes of Ryan Dzinel and Bobby Ryan are returning isn’t helping his argument that the Sens are a fringe playoff team, that’s all.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->