McLeod
O'Byrne or

Colorado gets

1st Round pick
Larose
McBain

Tlusty-Staal-Semin
Skinner-Staal-ROR

Knowing ROR is a center I wouldn't mind seeing the Staals together. I know they are both centers but that size together with Semin would be big

Staal-Staal-Semin
Tlusty-O'Reilly-Skinner

CanesAvs16

Jun 25, 2012
Raleigh, NC
I would almost rather see ROR as the third line C.

Wouldn't mind Jokinen + LaRose for him either.

Either way we know JR will be overpaying for whatever we get :laugh:

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
I'd like to see Riley Nash in the three spot for a couple of weeks before doing this. I love ror but his salary will be huge to be a third liner, unless the Staals play together. I'd do the trade though.

Swag Surf Aho

Find Your Own Style
Jul 2, 2011
Raleigh, NC
They need scoring line wingers, so replace Larose with Jokinen and the Avs begin considering it.

Btw, I traded McBain, Jokinen, Rask, and Sova (lol, the deal breaker) for O'Reilly in my sim league and the canes proceeded to win the Stanley cup.

Edit: With the 30th overall pick, the Hurricanes selected William Karlsson. It's now our duty to collect any and all Swedish Karlssons. Surprisingly, Valeri Niscushkin was still on the board, but his name in the game is Valeri Visnevsky. The Russian factor played a huge part in JRs decision making :sarcasm:

Last edited:

Gr8Dan

Dec 29, 2009
NC
Carolina gets

O'Reilly
McLeod
O'Byrne or

Colorado gets

1st Round pick
Larose
McBain

Tlusty-Staal-Semin
Skinner-Staal-ROR

Knowing ROR is a center I wouldn't mind seeing the Staals together. I know they are both centers but that size together with Semin would be big

Staal-Staal-Semin
Tlusty-O'Reilly-Skinner

Long term where does Ruutu fit in? 5m for 3rd line winger or he pushes Orielly to 3rd line center. Too much money for 2nd liners on the 3rd line especially trying to resign Semin plus all the raises of salary in the next years. We really need help on defense.

Anton Babchuk

Nov 3, 2005
Raleigh-Durham
twitter.com
How much money can a team have dedicated to high-priced forwards (and a washed up goaltender) before it becomes too much to ice a competent defense? Not to mention the disastrous state of the prospect pool, which is where a 1st round pick could be useful. We need cheap young players who will outperform their contracts. Who is going to be the next Tlusty, Skinner, or Faulk? Ryan Murphy is a start, now let's add to that instead of trading for another huge contract.

The only way O'Reilly would make sense if it's straight up for Ruutu, which of course the Avs would not do.

Swag Surf Aho

Find Your Own Style
Jul 2, 2011
Raleigh, NC
With the cap ceiling expected to increase each year of the new CBA, I think we can afford to pay 5mil a year for a 3rd line center, especially if we lose Jokinen's and McBain's contracts. Now I'm not usually one to advocate trading away the Juice because I actually preferred signing him over Cole a couple years back. Sure, I would rather include Ruutu in this type of deal, but who really expects him to waive his NMC for Colorado? McBain,Jokinen, and Rask for O'Reilly probably gets the deal done and addresses both teams' needs.

I'm not worried about our aging veterans new contracts a few years from now because they are passed their prime and will likely sign for less than before. Lock in Semin long term and get those RFA contracts looking like Subban's and we are pretty much set.

Novacane

Jan 25, 2012
Raleigh, NC
Rask could be just as good a player as oreilly. I'd be careful tossing him in, though I'd love to have radar.

Exactly what I was thinking. Plus, he'll be cheaper whenever he comes in which, hypothetically, means we could spend more money on defense. Just not a fan of trading for O'reilly if it means giving up a 1st, Rask, or Murphy. (which means there is no deal)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad