GDT: Colorado Avalanche vs St. Louis Blouse | 7PM MT | Stupid low-effort GDT

Bill Peckerskull

Fargin' Icehole
Feb 19, 2003
Castle Rock, CO
Solid win.

Credit to Johansson for making some good saves and getting it done. He was still out of position a ton and I didn't like the goals he let in but I'll take it when they can get a win without Grubauer.

Refs are just terrible. It's like they make it up as they go. Two Blues players are trying to break Compher in half with the cross checks and buddy just stands behind the net calmly watching and then points for a faceoff as if nothing happened. Then Rantanen's cross check going up the ice gets called right away. I mean, Rantanen needs to chill with those or at least get stronger sticks so they don't snap but the inconsistency is frustrating.
Perhaps Mikko's sticks are always breaking from the number of hooks and slashes he takes with no call.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
EyBVfKXVoAEfauh

Peter Peckerwood

Aug 6, 2020
9764 Jeopardy Lane
JJ just looks gangly more than anything. He's not pretty for sure, but he did OK when it counted.
I'd maybe be ok with him as 3G.
I'm really happy for him, though, and he got a W. Hell yeah!

I don't know if jacking with Grubi and his rhythm is a good idea, but starting JJ again would be interesting to see.

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
With JJ, I wonder if he becomes serviceable if he gets a good goalie coach and he improves his movement efficiency and maximizing his size. I’m not sure his puck tracking can be fixed, unless it’s something dumb like he has terrible vision and just needs contacts

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
What I can say is that he looks 100% more confident in goal than Miska.

I don't know, I don't want to give him a hard time because he finished the game well, and they won, but he didn't look confident at all in the first.

Especially that play where there was almost a pass backdoor or something, and he dove forward nowhere near where the puck was. Same with another play where a player below the goal line tried to pass to the slot, but it got blocked, and instead of watching the puck and reacting to where it was, he reacted to the player in the slot taking a swing in the air thinking the puck was coming to him, and dropped down to the butterfly towards the top of his crease.

He would have been out of position if the Blues player making the pass got the puck back and shot it.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
With JJ, I wonder if he becomes serviceable if he gets a good goalie coach and he improves his movement efficiency and maximizing his size. I’m not sure his puck tracking can be fixed, unless it’s something dumb like he has terrible vision and just needs contacts

Like lasik helping Jameis Winston no longer throw it to the other team? I don't think that's it but it's worth a shot.

Reactions: dahrougem2

Metallo

NWOBHM forever \m/
Feb 14, 2010
Québec, QC
I don't know, I don't want to give him a hard time because he finished the game well, and they won, but he didn't look confident at all in the first.

Especially that play where there was almost a pass backdoor or something, and he dove forward nowhere near where the puck was. Same with another play where a player below the goal line tried to pass to the slot, but it got blocked, and instead of watching the puck and reacting to where it was, he reacted to the player in the slot taking a swing in the air thinking the puck was coming to him, and dropped down to the butterfly towards the top of his crease.

He would have been out of position if the Blues player making the pass got the puck back and shot it.
You could see Miska mentally crumbling under pressure.

I don’t see that with JJ.

Reactions: avspatti

Moosehead1

Nov 29, 2006

I hear ya.

but on that note it’s gotta be mountainous for a fringe goalie to come in and learn a new system without practice, given a game here and there.

Peter Peckerwood

Aug 6, 2020
9764 Jeopardy Lane

I'm sure he will get better. Like you said, getting him to economize his movements would be a great help.
Even if he isn't tracking as well, maybe more controlled movement and positioning can reduce the impact.

I really have no clue what I am talking about, but I almost convinced myself..

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I hear ya.

but on that note it’s gotta be mountainous for a fringe goalie to come in and learn a new system without practice, given a game here and there.

Absolutely. It's a tall task, especially when one of the Buffalo beat reporters gave a totally unnecessary shot at him after the trade, calling him the worst goalie he's ever seen, and that he can't stop pucks in practice.

Obviously he saw that or heard about it, and then didn't have a great first game, and gave up a tough one on the first shot this game.

But he battled through that and found a way to make some saves the team needed late. Hard to know whether we'll get the goalie from early in this game or late though moving forward. Hopefully it's the latter.

Moosehead1

Nov 29, 2006
Absolutely. It's a tall task, especially when one of the Buffalo beat reporters gave a totally unnecessary shot at him after the trade, calling him the worst goalie he's ever seen, and that he can't stop pucks in practice.

Obviously he saw that or heard about it, and then didn't have a great first game, and gave up a tough one on the first shot this game.

But he battled through that and found a way to make some saves the team needed late. Hard to know whether we'll get the goalie from early in this game or late though moving forward. Hopefully it's the latter.

Man how shitty is that. Reporters are like f***in cockroaches haha. He battled, that’s huge. Responded well to the mental game, was nice to see the teams response to him. Good stuff to see moving forward

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
Say what you will about Johansson, but he stopped all 10 shots he faced in the 3rd period in a one-goal game. Those are pressure saves.

His rebound control is better than what they had with Miska. He was able to get in front of some pucks coming through traffic in the final minutes too.

I don’t think he’s going to be a long term backup, but if he can do this one, or two more times it will be a worthwhile trade for Sakic.

Peter Peckerwood

Aug 6, 2020
9764 Jeopardy Lane

But he battled through that and found a way to make some saves the team needed late. Hard to know whether we'll get the goalie form early in this game or late though moving forward. Hopefully it's the latter.

I'd like to think he'll be serviceable. John Kelly was quite proud of Perron's ability to hit that spot consistently.

It was almost comforting to hear Kelly, especially when he said "Krug." It almost sounded like 'Krupp."
I thought I was hearing things for awhile.

Reactions: Foppa2118
Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site

I hope JJ becomes serviceable with the Avs, and then at some point sends a shoutout Kadri style “you’re a shitty beat writer and you cover a shitty team!”

BrickNHL

Feb 25, 2019

What the hell was that. f*** that reporter, Johansson has 3 points out of possible 4 points. Sabres can’t get that in 20 games

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
Give it time. Our pro scouts have been among the best. Like many of the buy low acquisitions before, maybe he can build his confidence and flourish?

I feel obligated to note that this might partly be a case of “timing is everything in life.” If Miska had seen more time when the defense was mostly healthy, maybe it might have helped him significantly? As it is, now his confidence is shot.

On the other hand, it might also be because of inactivity so who knows?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->