GDT: Colorado Avalanche Vs Columbus Blue Jackets Jan. 24/2013 7:00PM MST

Peter The Great
Aug 17, 2005
Sweden
Very important for Avs with Duchene playing like the star he was supposed to become, I like it a lot.

CoachBadkitten

Matt Hunwick
Jul 25, 2012
Colorado
dumb.

a fraction of an inch difference and he'd have 4 goals.

Exactly my point. He needs that touch back, at the end of last year he would have had those 4 goals. A fraction makes of an inch makes a difference, once he gets into that scoring touch those will start going in, but he needs to get into that zone again.

Not sure if you were trying to discredit me, but you pretty much exactly said what I said.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007

I think training and working out with Crosby really helped him. They were training together in LA while the Stanley Cup finals were going on and all throughout the summer. He said he's also eating better and continuing to do the things Crosby's trainer had him working on.

A lot of people have said he needs to go see Gary Roberts like Stamkos did but I think he got it right. Off the ice he worked with the trainer who helped Crosby develop into one of the strongest skaters in the league. On the ice he worked with and learned from the best player in the league.

Kschey

Avs/BorussiaDortmund
Jul 4, 2010
Exactly my point. He needs that touch back, at the end of last year he would have had those 4 goals. A fraction makes of an inch makes a difference, once he gets into that scoring touch those will start going in, but he needs to get into that zone again.

Not sure if you were trying to discredit me, but you pretty much exactly said what I said.

I see your point but personally I much rather have McGinn missing those shots by a few inches at the beginning of a season than not have him getting in all those situations at all because then I'd be concerned.
As of now though he looks great with Stazz and he'll start scoring soon enough :)

CoachBadkitten

Matt Hunwick
Jul 25, 2012
Colorado
I see your point but personally I much rather have McGinn missing those shots by a few inches at the beginning of a season than not have him getting in all those situations at all because then I'd be concerned.
As of now though he looks great with Stazz and he'll start scoring soon enough :)

Definitely. I have no doubt that he will start scoring soon. With him I feel once he gets the first one, it's off his back and he should score consistently. He looks very good with Stastny and Jones is a nice compliment to them.

Peter The Great
Aug 17, 2005
Sweden
I think training and working out with Crosby really helped him. They were training together in LA while the Stanley Cup finals were going on and all throughout the summer. He said he's also eating better and continuing to do the things Crosby's trainer had him working on.

A lot of people have said he needs to go see Gary Roberts like Stamkos did but I think he got it right. Off the ice he worked with the trainer who helped Crosby develop into one of the strongest skaters in the league. On the ice he worked with and learned from the best player in the league.

Great, Sweden was more of a joke actually.

I have actually no idea if he have good memories from his time in Gothenburg or if it did him well. ;-) On a scale from 1-10 with 10 being the best I would give him a 6 rating from his time in Sweden. He did ok but I expected more and I felt he could work harder defensively. It's easy to forget his age though, the guy is still young. Considering his age I guess he is worth a higher grade.

I remember after one poor game for Frolunda when Duchene was extra bitter and said "- If we had played like this in the NHL, five men would have been sent down to minor league directly. But here the players are too comfortable. There are 33 million Canadians who would have sacrificed an arm to play at this level..." :naughty:

One of the reasons Crosby is among the best is definately because he takes hockey and his workout/preparations/training extremely serious and for Duchene being able to follow the same program is of course great. Perhaps he understood that he has to work harder.

Last edited:

Peter The Great
Aug 17, 2005
Sweden
Definitely. I have no doubt that he will start scoring soon. With him I feel once he gets the first one, it's off his back and he should score consistently. He looks very good with Stastny and Jones is a nice compliment to them.

McGinn was great, and I'm sure the coach told him so.

What worries me most with the Avs right now are all stuiped penalites being taken.

IF Varlamov continue saving the entire team he will most probably get the Vezina trophy at the end of this season. ;-)

The first real test will be vs the Sharks though and honestly I feel a bit worried about that game.

Last edited:

Peter The Great
Aug 17, 2005
Sweden
One more thing.

Greg Zanons beard is among the worst I've seen in my entire life, OMG.

It doesn't even look cool, it looks like ****. ;-) I assume the guy is single.

BDSBASDBAS.jpg

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
Duchy has been absolutely phenomenal. I really can't think of a single player that played poorly last night, it was a really good team win.

I did notice a few mistakes, Landeskog had a couple really bad drop passes that were picked off. McGinn needs to loosen up, he's gripping his stick too tightly. Zanon/Hunwick were clearly a prototypical 3rd line defensive pairing, both made minor mistakes left and right but Sacco kept them against the right offensive players to prevent it from being a huge problem.

Hunny had some good jump though, he definitely did better than Barrie overall. SOB really deserves a shot over Zanon at this point imo.

EJ, Varly and Duchy each played like #1's tonight, the kind of games we need them to show consistently this season.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
One more thing.

Greg Zanons beard is among the worst I've seen in my entire life, OMG.

BDSBASDBAS.jpg

You shut your little ***** mouth. That beard is marriage material, Zanon himself, not so much, but the beard, the beard is wonderful.

Bubba Thudd

is getting banned
Jul 19, 2005
Avaland
My wife actually got to watch a game with me last night -- rarely happens.

Even she commented that the beard didn't look so good during his interview.

(I gotta keep her away from Bordeleau, though, apparently...)

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Where are all of our "trade Duchene" fans tonight? LOL

Not gonna get my hopes wayyyyy to high, because it has only been 3 games. But yea Duchene has looked absolutely incredible.

2 straight games now were Duchene's speed has taken over the game. His speed against LA was very noticeable and a big reason we won. And well tonight Duchene just took over the entire game. His Defense was fantastic, broke up a couple real good scoring chances for CBJ in the 3rd. His transition game was great because he was using his speed and forcing CBJs Defense to focus on him. First goal was a beauty from Duchene, unreal pass. Both goals were nice too. First goal showed a lot of maturity from Duchenes mental game, real smart play to float in and stay in the high slot anticipating that rebound to come out. 2nd goal was one of the best example of pure speed seen in a while. Just simply out skated both those Dmen and pulled a nice move to get it 5 whole.

Duchene took over this game in all 3 zones, from the beginning to the end. He, Varly, and EJ played very good games. Im liking what Im seeing from the 3 of them so far. EJ looks like he's on the cusp of a real breakout year.

Peter The Great
Aug 17, 2005
Sweden
cgf: What can I say, good for you. :dainty:

I like this

http://www.denverpost.com/avalanche...-journal-unsigned-center-ryan-oreilly-is-back

"The big-bearded Zanon loses his mind when people step on the Avs' logo etched in the middle of the team's locker-room floor at the Pepsi Center.

After Tuesday's home-opening, 3-1 victory over the Los Angeles Kings, Zanon raised his voice a handful of times when reporters walked through the center of the room. Reporters who have regularly followed the Avs and other NHL teams understand that stepping on carpet logos is ill- advised. But Zanon would like it forbidden.

"Don't they understand? It's like stepping on a flag," Zanon said of the rule that wasn't strictly enforced at the Pepsi Center before his arrival. "In Minnesota we used to ban people from talking to us if they stepped on it."

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I know it is early but Duchene, EJ, and Varly all look the best they ever have in Avs uniforms.

EJ was beasting it all night. He was physical, jumping into the play, making great passes, etc. Wilson and him are starting to look like a good pairing. It is also finally looking like he is starting to take that next step in his development.

Varly really picked up his play after last all star break and has just continued. Right now he is flat out dominant. The Avs really have their goalie for a long, long time. It was also good to see he hasn't changed one bit in his interviews either. :laugh:

Mitchell... enough can't be said of the toughness he showed last night. He has been nothing short of brilliant for his role. As long as he continues to play within himself, I am not worried about the #3C position at all. The biggest surprise to me has been his defensive play so far. That was my #1 worry with him because in the past he was known for lapses and turnovers in his own zone. A year under Torts did him wonders.

McGinn, when he finally puts one in, the flood gates are going to open. When that does happen we will end up with two very solid scoring lines.

Lastly, Duchene has been our best player this season (even better than Varly IMO). He has really taken the next step. He has all the speed and skill that he showed in his sophomore year, but has added a good amount of strength to it. He also has Sacco trusting him in every situation. He will be dangerous on the PK this year and get a couple of SHG.

Nzap

lunaR Pad
Jul 19, 2011
Parma
I'm 99% sure he is married.
I remember him talking about the beard and saying something like "my wife doesn't really like it, but let's see how long I'll grow it" or something like that.

Peter The Great
Aug 17, 2005
Sweden
Mitchell... enough can't be said of the toughness he showed last night. He has been nothing short of brilliant for his role. As long as he continues to play within himself, I am not worried about the #3C position at all. The biggest surprise to me has been his defensive play so far. That was my #1 worry with him because in the past he was known for lapses and turnovers in his own zone. A year under Torts did him wonders.

Mitchell makes me feel much better about the O'Reilly situation, character guy.

Peter The Great
Aug 17, 2005
Sweden
I'm 99% sure he is married.
I remember him talking about the beard and saying something like "my wife doesn't really like it, but let's see how long I'll grow it or something like that.

:laugh: poor woman

Hmmm my wife would probably have done something more drastic, trying to cut it off while sleeping or something like that. ;-) Not sure she would appreciate a new caveman look.

I'm sure he is a nice guy, I was being stupid, I also like the flag incident in the dressing room (about not stepping on Avs' logo).

Last edited:

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
:laugh: poor woman

Hmmm my wife would probably have done something more drastic, trying to cut it off while sleeping or something like that. ;-) Not sure she would appreciate a new caveman look.

I'm sure he is a nice guy, I was being stupid, I also like the flag incident in the dressing room (about not stepping on Avs' logo).

My GF would keep encouraging me to grow it out... She yells at me anytime I trim my beard :laugh:

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Attendance today at 14325.

I was expecting a bit more since it's only the 2nd home game of the season.
(Though against the BJs, so that might explain some)

Yeah I think it was opponent more than anything. The problem is filling the upper bowl and it has been since our rebuild, though I would definitely know why anybody would not want to sit up there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad