Colorado Avalanche Prospect Poll #8

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I don't want to get my hopes up too high on him until i see what he can do in the nhl. Don't want a hensick 2.0

Which is reasonable, but the hell makes Hishon or Bigras any less likely? Sgar bossed the OHL and was awesome last year in an AHL loaded up with locked-out talent. There's not much more the kid can do before making the NHL to show off his talent.

I think he'll step in once someone goes down or traded.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
Keeping on my Sami fanwagon. Could change my opinion once I get to see Pickard play. Could see 3 straight goalies on this list next. Pretty nice to have the depth there.

Add Meurs

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
I don't want to get my hopes up too high on him until i see what he can do in the nhl. Don't want a hensick 2.0

I think he looked pretty good in NHL. I mean, he didn't get any points, but you can clearly see his great playmaking ability and pretty nice wrister. He's gonna be good player.

AvInNebr

Jul 10, 2013
Nebraska
If I could vote I'd go with Pickard at this point but I've been pretty excited about him for a while now going back to his Seattle days. Close between him and Sami however...

Smith to me is one I'll be watching this year to see how he comes along. Could be a great steal in that draft if he continues to progress but I want to see more than one strong year from him before I'm sold on it...

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I really feel we're not giving our goalie prospects the respect they deserve. We have the strongest goaltending pipeline we've had in years with several strong prospects.

I think that is for 2 reasons:

1. The goalies in the system are fairly strong, but none of them have elite potential. Pickard and Aitto have solid starting goalie potential and the others are NHL backup/AHL starter potential. I leave Martin out of that currently as he needs to hold his job for the full season.

2. The other prospects in the system are just better. The only argument that I see out of the players voted ahead is Hishon, and that is simply because of his injury history. If he is 100% healthy, he is the best prospect in the system not named MacKinnon.

AvInNebr

Jul 10, 2013
Nebraska

1. The goalies in the system are fairly strong, but none of them have elite potential. Pickard and Aitto have solid starting goalie potential and the others are NHL backup/AHL starter potential. I leave Martin out of that currently as he needs to hold his job for the full season.

2. The other prospects in the system are just better. The only argument that I see out of the players voted ahead is Hishon, and that is simply because of his injury history. If he is 100% healthy, he is the best prospect in the system not named MacKinnon.

Perhaps you could add a #3 here...

3. The history of Avalanche prospect goalies has tempered expectations of the fans. Look at guys like Budaj and Aebi who were thought to be guys we could lean on after the Roy years and who just didn't do it for the team long term.

I think between those three things most fans will drop the goalies a few spots but honestly they mix in with the Hishon's, Sgarbossa's, and others after that first spot or two and could fall anywhere in there.

Personally I'm excited to see what Allaire can do with not only Varly but also with our prospects moving forward.

TatteredTornNFrayed

ocelot spleens, ...
Jan 15, 2008

Exactly. Well said, and I'd add a 3. To me a young goalie's prospect value is realistically lower for the same reason goalie's value drops in a draft. Because even at this point, they still need a lot of development, and it is still very hard to know where they are going to be in a few more years. So much can happen that might set them back, and as time goes on we may see that they are not on path to be as good as we hoped they might.

One of the 5 or so goalies in the system may likely end up a solid NHLer, but it is most likely that most of them will not. And if we rate 1 of them higher, and the rest lower, it is very possible we picked the wrong one anyway. Their lower value is due to the fact they are still too early in their development curve to know what they will become. Young goalies are a bit of a crapshoot.

I know some people like to rank on only potential ceiling, but I mentioned once that my ranking is based upon what order I would predict they would be picked now by the Avalanche, if they were all available in their current status. I think the list as it is so far is very close to the order they would be chosen, and in fact the list so far is exactly how my list goes, not that that means much of anything.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
Goalies have more NHL value than they do prospect value, in a ranking you can't take them over players who have 14 NHL spots or 7 NHL spots to fill whereas goalies only get 2 spots to be considered a success.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
Let's bump it up, Pickard/Aitto are pretty close and with limited tiebreakers having voted elsewhere we should probably settle it in this thread.

TatteredTornNFrayed

ocelot spleens, ...
Jan 15, 2008
Am I the only one who sees Bigras' and Elliott's HFBoards poll links to the same page? Right now, they both seem to link to thread 1466059.

You are correct. The link to the previous poll which Bigras won, is still incorrect, and takes you instead to the poll that Elliot won. I think people may have mistakenly thought you were talking about the eliteprospects link.

I would say Pickard is the clear winner. Has more votes than all the others combined right now.

PepsiCenterMagic

Food is Great
Jul 17, 2013
1. MacKinnon
2. Michael Sgarbossa
3. Tyson Barrie
4. Scott Bigras
5. Mike Connelly

Criteria: Best NHL career

Nihiliste

Feb 8, 2010
I know its because we have so many of our young guys already playing on the team but our prospect pool kind of bums me out. Mackinnon and Barrie don't really count as they're already locks for the team, and after them we don't have much depth.

Hopefully we end up with a couple of solid NHL players out of this group. I could see a couple of the defenders stick with the team eventually. I think we'll certainly have a couple 4th liners and maybe a backup goalie in Malone/Heard/Pickard/Aitto but that's not terribly exciting since those kinds of players are available every year in FA for cheap.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
Poll is way too close to declare a winner... we may need to take this to the main boards.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
You guys just want to declare Pickard #8 and Aittokallio #9, do a tiebreaker and see who the other 9 voters pick or what?

Nzap

lunaR Pad
Jul 19, 2011
Parma
You guys just want to declare Pickard #8 and Aittokallio #9, do a tiebreaker and see who the other 9 voters pick or what?

I think Pickard #8, Aitto #9 seems fair.
I voted for Pickard so I might be a bit biased, but I can hardly see every poster that voted for someone else voting for Aitto in a tiebreaker. Also Aitto at #9 would be where I'd rank him myself of all our prospects so there's that as well. (Pickard's at #5 on my list btw) (or things no-one really cares about)

TatteredTornNFrayed

ocelot spleens, ...
Jan 15, 2008
I still think it is pretty conclusive for Pickard.

Of the 9 people who didn't vote for either, Aittokallio would have to get 8 of the 9 to overtake Pickard.

41 + 1 = 42
vs.
35 + 8 = 43

and that's after several extra voting days longer than the previous ones. At 4 days Aitto couldn't have caught him at all.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->