Speculation: Colorado Avalanche popularity vs other sports in Denver

Richard Doll

Feb 18, 2020
Saint Albans, Vermont
I sent a message to one of the shows on one of the Colorado stations a year ago.

It was nearing Rockies opening day I think but the Avs were thick in the playoff hunt. I complained to the station that it was all Rockies talk, how about some word about the Avs!

I was basically brushed off in my response from the station host because of baseball season, despite the Avs chasing the playoffs and how bad the Rockies almost ALWAYS are.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
It's just the raw fact of the NFL being the biggest name in sports, it's not just a local Denver phenomenon. I guarantee right now the Buccaneers with Tom Brady get way more airtime in Tampa than the Lightning did when they marched to the Cup. The Bolts probably got a front of the sports page splash headline, and then all the columnists went right back to talking about the Buccs on page two. The NHL is still the #4 sport in the US, that's just how it is. It's dumb that a stupid, boring sport like baseball manages to outpace something like hockey, but for all the progress that's been made for the NHL they're still the kid brother of major league sports in America.

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
I recall that when Kansas City had a rough stretch... at one point they went 2-14... there were a lot of empty seats at Arrowhead. And that's a smaller market with less sports competition. It's possible that will never happen with the Broncos, but frankly, it should. There's no virtue in devoting time and energy and money to a poorly run team.

Yeah won't happen - I've heard the waitlist for season tix is now up to 70,000 and the team will move your tickets to someone else if you're not showing up for the games.

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
It's just the raw fact of the NFL being the biggest name in sports, it's not just a local Denver phenomenon. I guarantee right now the Buccaneers with Tom Brady get way more airtime in Tampa than the Lightning did when they marched to the Cup. The Bolts probably got a front of the sports page splash headline, and then all the columnists went right back to talking about the Buccs on page two. The NHL is still the #4 sport in the US, that's just how it is. It's dumb that a stupid, boring sport like baseball manages to outpace something like hockey, but for all the progress that's been made for the NHL they're still the kid brother of major league sports in America.

People are watching less sports in general. But I know dozens of people who are no longer dedicated to watching the NFL. It kind of started with Kapernick pouting because he was on the verge of losing his starting job.

I used to watch the NFL every weekend practically. Now, I never watch it. If the Broncos were contenders, maybe I’d watch more. But there’s no reason to watch anymore. There’s nothing that people, who work for a living, like more than to be lectured by well paid athletes. It becomes unwatchable and grotesque.

I think there is an opportunity for a league to gain traction if they’re willing to avoid politics. I think people are fed up.

Reactions: Bonzai12

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad