Colorado Avalanche on a 13 Game Lossless Streak

Arto Kilponen

Oct 29, 2006
Helsinki, Finland
Absolutely brutal game for Avalanche tonight. It's really nothing new for a team that is in a long win/point streak, at some point it just falls apart for a game.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
What do the Avs do that makes them such a dominating possession team? These numbers are ridiculous.

5v5 score/venue adjusted:
CF% 60.33
FF% 59.98
SF% 60.10
xGF% 60.76

While the divisional format this year is certainly a big change, the teams in the West weren't bad possession teams last year. Vegas was the best possession team last year with CF% 54.84.

Vegas 1st
(Colorado 5th)
Kings 6th
Blues 10th
Sharks 14th
Wild 17th
Yotes 21st
Ducks 26th

So what is it that gives them so much possession? It doesn't feel like they are a super stifling neutral zone team, at least not like I remember the Kings being when they were possession gods. It also doesn't seem like the forecheck is particularly effective. I remember Blues teams a few years ago just dominating at chipping the puck in and then devastating the Avs with their forecheck.

Is it the breakout? Makar, Girard and Toews are all great with the puck, but it also seems like the Avs forwards are especially good at being open for passes as soon as there is a turnover. Are the Avs much more open and spread out in the defensive zone compared to a collapsing, shot blocking team?

Is it controlled zone entries? I would guess this is where MacKinnon really makes his impact as he has been very intelligent on the zone entry. He very rarely tries to force a ridiculous play when outnumbered and instead just cements possession in the zone.

Is it puck/board battles? I can't see this being right, as the Avs aren't really all that big. However maybe it's just that because the Avs are extremely fast they frequently preempt battles by just getting to neutral pucks faster than the opposition.

I'm really interested in the perspective of fans of other teams in the West. What does it feel like to play the Avs compared to an average opponent?
I think that the normally strong opponents in the West...aren't. The CA teams are usually big, mean, and play a sound game. Same with STL. This year, not so much. CO is really good, but they are putting up points against weak teams. VGK are their only real competition, and MN, if everything goes their way.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chrisinroch

Al Lagoon

Feb 22, 2012
For all the pain the Avs have delivered to the Wild this year, the Wild now has some sort of ass-kicking on record both home and away. Just setting up Playoff Upset III. Love sequels.

Nihiliste

Feb 8, 2010
For all the pain the Avs have delivered to the Wild this year, the Wild now has some sort of ass-kicking on record both home and away. Just setting up Playoff Upset III. Love sequels.

Bad goaltending basically drove the outcome of the game, can't read much into it. Wild played a good first period though

Grigowski

Jul 6, 2016
I think it was an off night for a whole gaggle of players including Grubauer for sure. He's not solely to blame but also just wasn't very good.

The game was 5-3 after 2 periods and far from "over". But facing 19 shots in total and letting in 8 (nearly 50 %) doesnt win you any game.... Grubauer´s first really bad performance in weeks and Minnesota, who btw. played a lot better this time, took advantage. It happens to every team. Ask Pittsburgh, Philly, Bosten,.....

Nihiliste

Feb 8, 2010
Am I crazy, or do I not see a whole lot of bad goals in the bunch?

Check out NST. Score doesn’t really reflect the flow of play, even if you take score effects late in the 3rd into account. With a save % that’s anything close to league average it’s a different game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad