Colorado Avalanche minor league system flush with defensive talent and depth forwards

HF Article

Nov 16, 2005

The depth and talent developing at the pro level is an organizational strength for the Colorado Avalanche. Players like Michael Sgarbossa, Mark Olver, and Tyson Barrie got off to strong starts in the AHL and are now making an impact for the Avs in 2013. Meanwhile prospects Stefan Elliott, Brad Malone, and Cameron Gaunce are knocking on the door and are more than ready to step in as injury replacements this season.

AHL

Mark Olver, C, 25

Of all the Avalanche prospects, Olver may be the one that is benefiting the most from the absence of Ryan O’Reilly.… read more

More...

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Overrated. .

This team doesn't have a potential star player in their system. Just bunch of question marks.

Maybe Siemens is one player that might become an impact player for the Avs in the future, that's about it.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
You've already given up on Elliott and Barrie?

No, I just don't think they will be top pairing d-men. If fully developed they could become 2nd pair.

This team really needs a #1 or #2 d-man badly.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Overrated. .

This team doesn't have a potential star player in their system. Just bunch of question marks.

Maybe Siemens is one player that might become an impact player for the Avs in the future, that's about it.

'Star' players don't typically stay prospects for very long. This team's 'star' players are Duchene, EJ, and Varly.

As for impact players, that depends on how you define it. I would say an impact player is a future top 6 F/ top 4 D/ NHL goalie. The Avs have more than a few of those sorts of players.

Top 6 F:
Michael Sgarbossa - could end up as a #2C or a 2nd line wing if he can't handle the center duties. He has looked solid so far.
Troy Bourke - has potential to end up as a top 6 wing
Colin Smith - long shot, nut boom or bust potential as a top 6 player

Top 4 D:
Duncan Siemens - probably the safest as he should be a top 4 shutdown, may not be spectacular, but solid
Stefan Elliott - highest potential (top pairing PMD), also most likely to bust. Has dynamic skill if he can put it together
Tyson Barrie - Tops out as a middle pairing PMD, bottoms out as a #6 PMD

NHL Goalie:
Calvin Pickard - has NHL starter capabilities, and has looked good at Lake Erie
Sami Aittokallio - most potential of all goalie prospects, looked great or terrible with Lake Erie. If he finds consistency he will be a solid NHL starter
Kieran Millan - I hesitate putting him on here, but he has been great in the CHL and has very good athleticism. Tops out IMO as a backup goalie in the NHL, should be a solid AHL starter.

Now because those players have that talent doesn't mean they live up to it. Of all of those I only expect Sgarbossa, Siemens, Elliott, and Pickard to be 'impact' players at best (I expect Barrie to be a bottom pairing player in the end). Still that is a pretty good number in the system when the Avs have 2 young impact centers (if they keep ROR), 2 young impact wings, a young top pairing D, and a young, very good goalie.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
No, I just don't think they will be top pairing d-men. If fully developed they could become 2nd pair.

This team really needs a #1 or #2 d-man badly.

2nd pairing is an impact player.

Agreed, hopefully the left out center can be shipped out to pick up that sort of a player.

niwotsblessing

May 1, 2010
City of Holy Faith
'Star' players don't typically stay prospects for very long. This team's 'star' players are Duchene, EJ, and Varly.

As for impact players, that depends on how you define it. I would say an impact player is a future top 6 F/ top 4 D/ NHL goalie. The Avs have more than a few of those sorts of players.

Top 6 F:
Michael Sgarbossa - could end up as a #2C or a 2nd line wing if he can't handle the center duties. He has looked solid so far.
Troy Bourke - has potential to end up as a top 6 wing
Colin Smith - long shot, nut boom or bust potential as a top 6 player

Top 4 D:
Duncan Siemens - probably the safest as he should be a top 4 shutdown, may not be spectacular, but solid
Stefan Elliott - highest potential (top pairing PMD), also most likely to bust. Has dynamic skill if he can put it together
Tyson Barrie - Tops out as a middle pairing PMD, bottoms out as a #6 PMD

NHL Goalie:
Calvin Pickard - has NHL starter capabilities, and has looked good at Lake Erie
Sami Aittokallio - most potential of all goalie prospects, looked great or terrible with Lake Erie. If he finds consistency he will be a solid NHL starter
Kieran Millan - I hesitate putting him on here, but he has been great in the CHL and has very good athleticism. Tops out IMO as a backup goalie in the NHL, should be a solid AHL starter.

Now because those players have that talent doesn't mean they live up to it. Of all of those I only expect Sgarbossa, Siemens, Elliott, and Pickard to be 'impact' players at best (I expect Barrie to be a bottom pairing player in the end). Still that is a pretty good number in the system when the Avs have 2 young impact centers (if they keep ROR), 2 young impact wings, a young top pairing D, and a young, very good goalie.

Star Players: Gabriel Landeskog.
Goalie Prospect: Kent Patterson.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Star Players: Gabriel Landeskog.
Goalie Prospect: Kent Patterson.

I totally forgot about Landy for the star players :help: Just add him to Duchene, EJ, and Varly.

I'm not sold at all on Patterson. I really don't see him making at the NHL level at any point. I thought so at one time, but seeing him at the CHL it is pretty obvious to me that he is far from NHL caliber. Comparing him and Millan on the same team it is pretty obvious that Millan is the better goalie. His rebound control is just terrible (to be fair Aittokallio's is pretty bad as well) and he tends to break down fundamentally. That said his athleticism is pretty good and he has a great glove. Quite frankly he won't get enough reps or coaching to make it with this organization.

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
Flush with depth forwards and defensive talent, yet we just signed SOB to an extension and throw Kobasew out there every night. but yeah, sure. whatever.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
Poor Hishon... he should be at the top of our list and having been the first call up due to injuries.

Nihiliste

Feb 8, 2010

I'm most happy with our goaltending pool right now. I think both Pickard and Aittokallo could become NHL starters and if they develop well could be valuable trade pieces for us (like Bernier or Schneider). I think Sgarbossa could be a decent top 6 player but he could also be a Tedenby/Lotkionov type player who shows promise but just doesn't bring enough to be an NHL player. Ultimately I have very little faith in any of our forward prospects becoming regulars for us other than Sgarbossa.

I still think Elliott will be a good player for us. Siemens will be playing for the Avs in 1.5 years, book it.

I'm not particularly enamoured with our prospect pool in general though. We definitely need to draft strong and resupply the cupboard. It's pretty thin right now (due to graduations, Hishon injury, and trading last years 1st)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad