News Article: Colorado Avalanche Media Coverage Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO
My wife bought an Amazon Fire Stick a while back, so we've been using that to access the NHL app + ExpressVPN to say we're somewhere else to watch the games. It's not as simple as turning on the TV, unfortunately, but the quality is very high and if I remember correctly (holy shit I can't even remember Avs games) there weren't any ads during timeouts.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Some love for Girard here : By the Numbers: Identifying the NHL's best puck-moving...

If you can't get past the paywall, the gist of it is Girard is really good at moving the puck out of the defensive zone and really good at moving the puck into the offensive zone.
Haven’t read it yet, but I’m pretty sure last year Girard was by the stats the best transition defenseman in the league last year. So I would assume he’s right up there near the top again.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Best in the league. Only defenseman in the NHL to break the 50% mark.

Starting at the top, you have Avalanche defenseman Samuel Girard leading the charge with a possession exit efficiency just north of 50 percent. The 22-year-old is incredibly smooth and cerebral in both his skating and puckhandling ability

mPiKdhi.png

It may be surprising for some out of market fans to see Girard rank this impressively, but he’s unquestionably an elite transporter — according to Sportlogiq, no NHL defenseman dumped the puck out of their zone less than Girard in 2018-19.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Best in the league. Only defenseman in the NHL to break the 50% mark.

Starting at the top, you have Avalanche defenseman Samuel Girard leading the charge with a possession exit efficiency just north of 50 percent. The 22-year-old is incredibly smooth and cerebral in both his skating and puckhandling ability

mPiKdhi.png

It may be surprising for some out of market fans to see Girard rank this impressively, but he’s unquestionably an elite transporter — according to Sportlogiq, no NHL defenseman dumped the puck out of their zone less than Girard in 2018-19.

The list didn't include the rookies, but shows Girard's bread and butter.

Reactions: Northern Avs Fan

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
With Hughes's rookie numbers being better than Girard's this year, it's insane to think what he might become when all is said and done. I'm just glad we have a Hughes-lite for the next 7 years in Sammy.
Imagine if Girard was a PPG player and you have Hughes. Just ridiculous the two of them.

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO
Even Girard/Makar could as well.
No disagreement here. Especially on Girard. He just has to get his offensive numbers up and work on being an offensive threat a bit more before I'd feel comfortable grouping him with Hughes.

As for Makar, I think his strengths are so different from Hughes's strengths that it's difficult to compare them when it comes to their transition games. Hughes skates the puck up a lot of the time, but can also pass really well and does it with a crazy amount of control. Makar can make quicker passes when the opportunity is there, and he can skate the puck up the ice, but he does it with more chaos and with a more counterattack mindset than possession mindset, like MacKinnon. It'll be fun to watch their careers play out simultaneously.

Reactions: The Abusement Park

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
No disagreement here. Especially on Girard. He just has to get his offensive numbers up and work on being an offensive threat a bit more before I'd feel comfortable grouping him with Hughes.

As for Makar, I think his strengths are so different from Hughes's strengths that it's difficult to compare them when it comes to their transition games. Hughes skates the puck up a lot of the time, but can also pass really well and does it with a crazy amount of control. Makar can make quicker passes when the opportunity is there, and he can skate the puck up the ice, but he does it with more chaos and with a more counterattack mindset than possession mindset, like MacKinnon. It'll be fun to watch their careers play out simultaneously.
I just mean from a transition standpoint Girard will probably be one of the best to do it. I mean as an all round player he won't catch Hughes though.

Reactions: Papa Francouz

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO
I just mean from a transition standpoint Girard will probably be one of the best to do it. I mean as an all round player he won't catch Hughes though.
Fair enough, I can agree with that. Unrelated, but I think it's really cool these smaller defensemen are having such huge impacts in the best hockey league in the world. As a former small defenseman it puts a smile on my face.

Reactions: The Abusement Park

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019

Agree here.

I don’t see many similarities between Hughes and Makar. Girard is far more like Hughes than Makar is.

They have similar games, but Hughes is faster and has a higher level of vision/creativity.

Reactions: Papa Francouz

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Playoff games have never been blacked out on NBCSN?

I guess I was thinking of NHL.tv then when games are on NBC. I suppose the problem now is whether NBC and their affiliates will show all the games or not.

Last year they showed all the Avs games, but with a possible condensed schedule, and a shit ton of games scheduled everyday, they may not be able to for every team. And we know the Avs often get the short end of the stick on televising the start of the 1st period when the previous game is going long.

Hopefully it won't play out that way, though relying on NBC and missing parts of the first period during Avs games can be awfully frustrating.

NHL.tv wouldn't help Denver residents in that regard.

"In the United States, all Stanley Cup® Playoffs and Stanley Cup® Final games will be nationally televised and are subject to blackouts in NHL.TV™"

NHL.TV™ and NHL Premium™ Blackout Detector

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
I guess I was thinking of NHL.tv then when games are on NBC. I suppose the problem now is whether NBC and their affiliates will show all the games or not.

Last year they showed all the Avs games, but with a possible condensed schedule, and a shit ton of games scheduled everyday, they may not be able to for every team. And we know the Avs often get the short end of the stick on televising the start of the 1st period when the previous game is going long.

Hopefully it won't play out that way, though relying on NBC and missing parts of the first period during Avs games can be awfully frustrating.

NHL.tv wouldn't help Denver residents in that regard.

"In the United States, all Stanley Cup® Playoffs and Stanley Cup® Final games will be nationally televised and are subject to blackouts in NHL.TV™"

NHL.TV™ and NHL Premium™ Blackout Detector
I've never had NBCSN games blacked out via Youtube TV or Sling. NHL.tv maybe but I've never had it so I'm not sure.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Looks like Dater has enough money to buy a plane ticket and spend 2 months on the road.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->