Colorado Avalanche - Great young foundation

Eltuna

Nov 12, 2017
Remember a few years ago when the Flyers had the best defense EVAR coming with Sanheim, Hagg, Myers, etc and they all turned out to be mediocre at best? Let's wait before we count the chickens before the hatch.

Also love how a thread about the Avs has turned into a Leaf bashing thread because the OP is a Leaf fan. Rent Free.
The Flyers did get some great dman out of Ghost and Provorov though, and Sanheim can still be a player. Of course there’s no guarantees but they already have Barrie (top 10 offensive dman over the past 5 years), EJ (getting older but should be a top 4 guy for awhile yet), Zadorov (led the league in hits last year, adds a sandpaper element that the defence really needs), Girard (easily been the teams best dman this year and should start to really turn some heads this season), Makar (top prospect), and Timmins (fantastic year last year but concussions could sideline him). That’s a pretty good foundation to build off of.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
The Flyers did get some great dman out of Ghost and Provorov though, and Sanheim can still be a player. Of course there’s no guarantees but they already have Barrie (top 10 offensive dman over the past 5 years), EJ (getting older but should be a top 4 guy for awhile yet), Zadorov (led the league in hits last year, adds a sandpaper element that the defence really needs), Girard (easily been the teams best dman this year and should start to really turn some heads this season), Makar (top prospect), and Timmins (fantastic year last year but concussions could sideline him). That’s a pretty good foundation to build off of.

For sure never said it wasn't. Just meant that until they actually develop into those players you can't say they have a dynasty or a future stacked D core. I remember when Brayden Schenn was going to be the next best center in the game, or when Rundblad was going to be the next franchise D.

Eltuna

Nov 12, 2017
For sure never said it wasn't. Just meant that until they actually develop into those players you can't say they have a dynasty or a future stacked D core. I remember when Brayden Schenn was going to be the next best center in the game, or when Rundblad was going to be the next franchise D.
I think everyone has agreed the dynasty comment was overzealous, hockey doesn’t even really have dynasties anymore. An up and coming team with a pretty solid stable of dman that could maybe one day contend is all that they are and I think most in this thread share that opinion.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
Well that's not true at all.

Landeskog, Mackinnon, Rantanen, Soderberg

Johnson, Barrie, Zadorov

And Varlamov.

That's the only players from that team 2 years ago still on the team. The rest either joined very late in that year(Jost/Compher/Andrighetto) or have joined the team since then(Kerfoot, Calvert, Girard, etc.)

And even including the guys who were on that team 2 years ago, Johnson missed almost half the season with injury. Varlamov missed almost the entire season. Landeskog missed 20+ games. And Rantanen was a rookie.

We're nowhere close to that team from 2 years ago.

I said almost all not all

the op mentioned 9 players and 7 of them were on the team 2 years ago

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
The avs are in a great spot with their young talent. They also have potentially 5 1st round players hitting their line up next year. Bowers, Kaut, Makar, OTT 1st, COL 1st. If Timmins gets through this concussion, he will most likely be in the line up next year.

Next season is when the avs can start to make some noise in the playoffs.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
they had almost all of those same players two years ago and were the worst team in the league by far

not saying they'll be that bad again but dynasty? cmon

I mean like 60% of the players from that season are no longer on this team. Totally different teams.

hooverdam

Feb 21, 2013
COL is a team w/ an obvious culture of losing which ran Pat Roy out of town because he couldn't stand losing any further.

Lose to win in the future mentality (i.e., Landeskog, MacKinnon, Makar) won't get them anywhere. Not to mention their Captain, Landeskog, is a complete coward... maybe he can be on the Cover of the Nordic version of GQ in the future.

This post is just as much of a ridiculous mess as the OP, and you don't even have the excuse of being a Leafs fan. Shame.

Riseonfire

Josh Bailey! GAME ONE, TO THE ISLAND!!!
Nov 8, 2009
Solid young team =/= Dynasty.

Win a Cup with a young core, THEN you can start the Dynasty talk. Montreal and the Islanders are insulted.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
giphy.gif

There's so much to unpack in this thread I feel like we are collectively glossing over this.

I mean he should’ve won it in 2013 tbf.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
I mean like 60% of the players from that season are no longer on this team. Totally different teams.

and yet the core players that the op was talking about ARE mostly still on the team from that season

does it really matter if Francois Beauchemein and Mikhail Grigorenko got replaced by Patrik Nemeth and Colin Wilson? that's not what this thread is about

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
and yet the core players that the op was talking about ARE mostly still on the team from that season

does it really matter if Francois Beauchemein and Mikhail Grigorenko got replaced by Patrik Nemeth and Colin Wilson? that's not what this thread is about

I mean yes... if you have 10 players who are no longer playing in the NHL removed from a team that’s addition by subtraction. Yes the core players are still relatively the same. But we had way to many players who weren’t NHL caliber playing big minutes. That’s gonna affect you’re core players, and it was clear to anyone that the core players weren’t the big issues.

Playing Beauchemin and Tyutin 20+ minutes a night was an issue. Playing Bodnarchuk at all is an issue. Giving John Mitchell and Mikael Grigorenko 2nd/3rd line minutes is an issue. Doesn’t matter how good your core is, it needs depth players that are NHL a quality. Look at the Oilers. They have the best player in the league and some good C depth and look like a team that will sputter to nowhere.

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
Solid young team =/= Dynasty.

Win a Cup with a young core, THEN you can start the Dynasty talk. Montreal and the Islanders are insulted.
Montreal isn't anywhere near as deep with young talent as Colorado. They don't have better prospects either.

avsfan09

Dec 17, 2010
Nova Scotia
COL is a team w/ an obvious culture of losing which ran Pat Roy out of town because he couldn't stand losing any further.

Lose to win in the future mentality (i.e., Landeskog, MacKinnon, Makar) won't get them anywhere. Not to mention their Captain, Landeskog, is a complete coward... maybe he can be on the Cover of the Nordic version of GQ in the future.
Strong username to post content ratio.

Avelanche

#freeRedmond
Jun 11, 2011
Boston
Avs had a good young core before. The promising thing is the d core is solid and the bottom 9 isn’t a bunch of garbage.

Avelanche

#freeRedmond
Jun 11, 2011
Boston
I said almost all not all

the op mentioned 9 players and 7 of them were on the team 2 years ago
They barely kept anyone from that team. They added something like over 10 players. Honestly don’t think they kept anyone not on that list.

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
Finally the Avs have a decent defense, especially once Makar arrives near the end of the season.

Girard - EJ
Zadorov - Barrie
Cole - Makar

That looks so much better than anything we had since 2003-2004.

Reactions: Lemonlimey

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
They barely kept anyone from that team. They added something like over 10 players. Honestly don’t think they kept anyone not on that list.

which is nice and all and makes them a better team,I don't think they're anywhere near as bad a team as they were either

but again it's not terribly relevant to my original response,the op literally named a list of 9 guys and said that the Avs would be a "dynasty" because of that,and 7 of those 9 guys were on the team 2 years ago

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
which is nice and all and makes them a better team,I don't think they're anywhere near as bad a team as they were either

but again it's not terribly relevant to my original response,the op literally named a list of 9 guys and said that the Avs would be a "dynasty" because of that,and 7 of those 9 guys were on the team 2 years ago

along with a decent prospect group, and two first round picks this year, one likely to be extremely high. And a great contract situation.

Not too far different from the Bruins situation back in 2010.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016

But no Avs fan have claimed we’re going to be a dynasty. Just saying we have a solid core to build a good team around.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->