Colorado Avalanche Board Fan Biographies

JudoKoala

The Ghost of Joe Sacco
Aug 10, 2020
Toronto
Welcome! We might get some good conversations about esports!

Thank you very much for the warm welcome, I really appreciate it! And yes, am always only too happy to talk about eSports, particularly now as it's really taking off! (Or esports or e-sports or E-sports.... there still isn't an industry standard for its spelling, which of course drives me bonkers. :laugh:)

TheGrimReaper

ten years gone
Aug 20, 2020
gallows pole
so here goes
became a member here around 2002 ish , when the platform was NHL board forums
user name was " grimreaper " ....
wife and I have traveled to Denver twice , each time was a week stay so we could take in 3 Avs games per trip
long haul from where we live in Niagara Falls , Ontario
in 2016 we had a house fire , electrical , toasted all my computers , and hand written passwords....
wasn't until recently I decided to jump back on board here but couldn't remember my credentials thus the new user name
great to be back
GO AVS GO !

Unspecified

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Apr 29, 2015
Name: Chris
Favoite Music Artist(s): Classic rock
Favorite TV show: Breaking Bad
Favorite Book(s) or Author(s): I'll wait for the movie
Favorite Av: McKinnon and Makar
Favorite Ex-Av: Forsberg, Sakic
Favorite non-Av: Miro Heiskanen
Next or other favorite team: Dallas Stars and the Avalanche
How else is hockey in your life?: I played for 30 years, in HS and in College. Had a cup of coffee with the Ft. Worth Fire back in the day. Bad knees and multiple should surgeries have taken its toll.

In conclusion:

Me and the wife just moved here about 6 months ago from Tx. We love it here and even though we are a couple hours from Denver we plan to attend games when time permits.

MaKarter

Big Game Bo
Jun 21, 2019
Fort Collins CO
Name: Chris
Favoite Music Artist(s): Classic rock
Favorite Book(s) or Author(s): I'll wait for the movie
Favorite Av: McKinnon and Makar
Favorite Ex-Av: Forsberg, Sakic
Favorite non-Av: Miro Heiskanen
Next or other favorite team: Dallas Stars and the Avalanche
How else is hockey in your life?: I played for 30 years, in HS and in College. Had a cup of coffee with the Ft. Worth Fire back in the day. Bad knees and multiple should surgeries have taken its toll.

In conclusion:

Me and the wife just moved here about 6 months ago from Tx. We love it here and even though we are a couple hours from Denver we plan to attend games when time permits.
Welcome to Colorado, it is a wonderful place to live.

SirLoinOfCloth

Apr 22, 2019
Colorado
Name: Owen
Favorite Music Artist(s): Not sure I have a favorite artist really, but I listen to a lot of 90s hip hop, chillhop, trip hop, liquid drum and bass, and progressive house
Favorite TV show: There's not been anything on a level with Breaking Bad or The Wire since, so probably those. I also have a soft spot for Brooklyn Nine-Nine.
Favorite Book(s) or Author(s): I'm bad and I do not read. Except this forum.
Favorite Av: Makar
Favorite Ex-Av: Sakic and Hejduk
Favorite non-Av: Literally none, they can all go f*** themselves.
Next or other favorite team: See above.
How else is hockey in your life?: It's not really. I tried playing hockey when I was younger but wasn't really good enough to enjoy it. I came to the Avs as a fan thanks to NHL '96 (I think) on the playstation as the Avs were "new" I played with them and loved Sakic. That progressed into true fandom over the years.

Extra:

I lived in the UK for most of my life and would get up at 3am to watch games when they were (rarely) on. But I moved to Denver when I turned 30, partly because I wanted to watch the Avs in person, and partly because I wanted a new start. I've been here ever since, although I'm not in Denver anymore, I live in (shudder) Commerce City.

Bowe Byrum

Nov 22, 2021
Name: Owen
Favorite Music Artist(s): Not sure I have a favorite artist really, but I listen to a lot of 90s hip hop, chillhop, trip hop, liquid drum and bass, and progressive house
Favorite TV show: There's not been anything on a level with Breaking Bad or The Wire since, so probably those. I also have a soft spot for Brooklyn Nine-Nine.
Favorite Book(s) or Author(s): I'm bad and I do not read. Except this forum.
Favorite Av: Makar
Favorite Ex-Av: Sakic and Hejduk
Favorite non-Av: Literally none, they can all go f*** themselves.
Next or other favorite team: See above.
How else is hockey in your life?: It's not really. I tried playing hockey when I was younger but wasn't really good enough to enjoy it. I came to the Avs as a fan thanks to NHL '96 (I think) on the playstation as the Avs were "new" I played with them and loved Sakic. That progressed into true fandom over the years.

Extra:

I lived in the UK for most of my life and would get up at 3am to watch games when they were (rarely) on. But I moved to Denver when I turned 30, partly because I wanted to watch the Avs in person, and partly because I wanted a new start. I've been here ever since, although I'm not in Denver anymore, I live in (shudder) Commerce City.
Where abouts in the UK ?

Bowe Byrum

Nov 22, 2021
My family are Welsh, but I lived just south of Manchester for about 5 or so years, then went to university in Birmingham and stayed there in and around the West Midlands for 12 years.
Awesome just hard to fathom why anyone would leave the UK for the US or Colorado lol

SirLoinOfCloth

Apr 22, 2019
Colorado
Awesome just hard to fathom why anyone would leave the UK for the US or Colorado lol
Haha, true. Lots of reasons for me. The US is an amazing place in ways, and so broken and backwards in others. I miss a lot from the UK, including but not limited to the healthcare and political/voting systems, and the lack of guns. This place is stunningly beautiful, and I certainly don't miss the 300 days of drizzle. There is a lot to like about America, and in ways the UK and US are socially very similar. I'd just got divorced at the time and wanted something fresh where I could start anew, the fact that the hockey team I've supported since I was 12 was here was the excuse I needed to come on over. I stayed in Denver for a couple of weeks on my own on a vacation and just loved the place so I decided to make the move.

Peter Peckerwood

Aug 6, 2020
9764 Jeopardy Lane
May as well throw my hat in! I used to peruse HFB all the time when I was younger, and only recently thought to come back and be active again...

Name: Tim
Occupation: PR and communications in the eSports & gaming industry
Favorite Music Artist(s): Radiohead, The Blood Brothers
Favorite TV show: The Leftovers, Six Feet Under, Seinfeld, The Simpsons seasons 1-9
Favorite Book(s) or Author(s): David Foster Wallace
Favorite Av: Nathan MacKinnon
Favorite Ex-Av: Joe Sakic
Favorite non-Av: Tie Domi or Georges Laraque
Next or other favorite team: Montreal Canadiens
How else is hockey in your life: As of now? Not really at all. But one of my favourite sets of memories is when I would play for hours on end on a local backyard rink up in Sudbury, Ontario, as a young boy and teenager, surrounded by the trees and the snow. Nothing beats Northern Ontario winters. Nothing!
Favorite Av moment: Sakic passing the Cup to Bourque.
How and when did you become an Av fan? Around 1997 or 1998, walking through a sporting goods store w my parents, spotting what was, at the time, Colorado's home jersey, falling in love with it, putting it on my Christmas list that year, getting it for Christmas, putting it on immediately and wearing it until I fell asleep in bed with it -- thus, a diehard fan was born.

Is your handle the same on YouTube?

Reactions: JudoKoala

Peter Peckerwood

Aug 6, 2020
9764 Jeopardy Lane
Never really noticed this thread before, so here goes. Just for shits and giggles. I copy and pasted the questions from above.

Name: John
Location: Houston since 2014, Loveland, Colorado from 1979-2014
Relationship Status: Married.. 2nd time; great relationship with ex. Being 1100 miles apart helps that..lol.
Favoite Music: Anything, but prefer classic rock, hard rock, heavy metal (no hair bands) and maybe some blues and 50s stuff.
Favorite TV Show: Breaking Bad/Better Call Saul, Married with Children, Scrubs, 3rd Rock from the sun, King of Queens, Everybody Loves Raymond. Plus a lot of Netflix stuff
Favorite Book(s) or Author(s): Rogue Warrior (RIP Richard "Demo Dick' Marcinko) most Stephen Hunter books
Favorite Av: Current: Cale Makar/ Nuke
All-Time: Foppa
Favorite Ex-Av: Adam Deadmarsh
Favorite non-Av: none
Next or other favorite team: none

How else is hockey in your life: Unfortunately none. Colorado had no hockey in my formative years.

How and when did you become an Av fan?
10/14/95. I was sick with the flu and was walking into the bedroom (button on tv) and then couldn't find the remote to change the channel from "this stupid hockey crap", so I watched a minute or two with volume I couldn't hear. I felt good enough to reach for my clock radio and turn to The Fan and once I heard Mike Haynes going bananas and Norm Jones dropping in some insights, I was hooked. I watched countless games with my infant daughter on my bare chest and it rubbed off on her because she loves the Avs and still hates Matt Cooke. She's too busy with school becoming a PA to get to watch, though. I clue her in when she has a spare minute or two on rare occasions. My son likes the Avs and both kids, my parents and Ex like to see the Eagles.

Least favourite AV moment: Deadmarsh trade, salary cap when the lower cheap teams flipped hockey on end and we lost Foppa, Foote, etc. Roy statue of liberty. Ef the Wings forever!!

Notes: I love to joke, laugh and tease and have the mindset of a teenager and younger. I don't mind making myself a target of jokes or shots and volunteer myself as a target just to laugh.
You aren't going to offend me. Unless you catch me on a rare bad day. Then, I get over it quickly and definitely don't hold grudges. My username in here in the old days was scottykarate, IIRC. I used to get into it HARDCORE with other team's fans on here and Facebook to where it was impacting my personal life and health. I could be heard pounding out replies from across the house and up the stairs. I self-banned myself until whatever the sign up date shown is. I lurked some, but never felt like signing up again until relatively recently. I'm glad I did, and I am glad I take time to think about what I post and realize this is a place to bond and both bitch and be happy with fellow Avs fans.
So, I'm old, but also new to this forum. I do remember when Dater was on here and RIAL was a great source.

Last edited:

JudoKoala

The Ghost of Joe Sacco
Aug 10, 2020
Toronto
Is your handle the same on YouTube?

Wow, no! I have an account by the name of PayneToTheMax, and joined YT in March '06. This guy joined in November '11. Worse yet, I've had 'JudoKoala' in some iteration or another since around 2002 on forums, gaming accounts, etc. So, not only does this loser upload Paw Patrol videos, but has the gall to hijack my name as well! Thank you for bringing this to my attention, Peter Peckerwood!

Spleenless Wonder21

Done like dinner
Jun 29, 2009
Ohio
Never really noticed this thread before, so here goes. Just for shits and giggles. I copy and pasted the questions from above.

Name: John
Location: Houston since 2014, Loveland, Colorado from 1979-2014
Relationship Status: Married.. 2nd time; great relationship with ex. Being 1100 miles apart helps that..lol.
Favoite Music: Anything, but prefer classic rock, hard rock, heavy metal (no hair bands) and maybe some blues and 50s stuff.
Favorite TV Show: Breaking Bad/Better Call Saul, Married with Children, Scrubs, 3rd Rock from the sun, King of Queens, Everybody Loves Raymond. Plus a lot of Netflix stuff
Favorite Book(s) or Author(s): Rogue Warrior (RIP Richard "Demo Dick' Marcinko) most Stephen Hunter books
Favorite Av: Current: Cale Makar/ Nuke
All-Time: Foppa
Favorite Ex-Av: Adam Deadmarsh
Favorite non-Av: none
Next or other favorite team: none

How else is hockey in your life: Unfortunately none. Colorado had no hockey in my formative years.

How and when did you become an Av fan?
10/14/95. I was sick with the flu and was walking into the bedroom (button on tv) and then couldn't find the remote to change the channel from "this stupid hockey crap", so I watched a minute or two with volume I couldn't hear. I felt good enough to reach for my clock radio and turn to The Fan and once I heard Mike Haynes going bananas and Norm Jones dropping in some insights, I was hooked. I watched countless games with my infant daughter on my bare chest and it rubbed off on her because she loves the Avs and still hates Matt Cooke. She's too busy with school becoming a PA to get to watch, though. I clue her in when she has a spare minute or two on rare occasions. My son likes the Avs and both kids, my parents and Ex like to see the Eagles.

Least favourite AV moment: Deadmarsh trade, salary cap when the lower cheap teams flipped hockey on end and we lost Foppa, Foote, etc. Roy statue of liberty. Ef the Wings forever!!

Notes: I love to joke, laugh and tease and have the mindset of a teenager and younger. I don't mind making myself a target of jokes or shots and volunteer myself as a target just to laugh.
You aren't going to offend me. Unless you catch me on a rare bad day. Then, I get over it quickly and definitely don't hold grudges. My username in here in the old days was scottykarate, IIRC. I used to get into it HARDCORE with other team's fans on here and Facebook to where it was impacting my personal life and health. I could be heard pounding out replies from across the house and up the stairs. I self-banned myself until whatever the sign up date shown is. I lurked some, but never felt like signing up again until relatively recently. I'm glad I did, and I am glad I take time to think about what I post and realize this is a place to bond and both bitch and be happy with fellow Avs fans.
So, I'm old, but also new to this forum. I do remember when Dater was on here and RIAL was a great source.

67837629-e1f6-4aa8-886b-3b1ef26d0b43_text.gif

Kidding! I’ve just been really wanting to use that gif for a while…welcome aboard, masochi….err fellow Avs fan!

Last edited:
Reactions: Peter Peckerwood

TanguaySauce

Better Than BBQ
Jan 3, 2018
Shaolin Island
How the hell am I just noticing this board now!!!

Name: Drew
Favoite Music Artist(s): Muse, Arctic Monkeys, Killswitch Engage, The Weeknd
Favorite TV show: Supernatural, Dexter, The League
Favorite Book(s) or Author(s): 1984 - George Orwell
Favorite Av: Cale Makar
Favorite Ex-Av: Alex Tanguay, Joe Sakic
Favorite non-Av: Currently? Sidney. All-Time? Saku Koivu
Next or other favorite team: Canadiens
How else is hockey in your life?: Played roller up until college. All my best friends in life are former teammates/competitors
Favorite Av moment: Being at Game 3 SCF was pretty cool in 2001.
LEAST favorite Av moment: The entire 2017 season
How and when did you become an Av fan?: Dad was a fan of MTL. First game I ever saw was MTL-QBC. Instantly fell in love watching Sakic play. Followed him ever since.
Shoots: Right
Position: Goaltender​

TequilaBay

May 30, 2019
Just looking through our family's photo album upstairs, and came across this picture.
This must've been right after the Avs won their second cup in 2001, I would've been 3 years old at the time.
Unfortunately, I have no recollection of this moment...

Attachments

• IMG_0026.jpg
    IMG_0026.jpg
    139.4 KB · Views: 12

MartinBe

Dec 1, 2021
Name: Martin
Favoite Music Artist(s): Eminem, Dave and Nas.
Favorite TV show: Modern Family
Favorite Book(s) or Author(s): Zlatan - autobiografi
Favorite Av: Cale Makar
Favorite Ex-Av: Milan Hejduk and Foppa.
Favorite non-Av: Barzal
Next or other favorite team: Islanders
How else is hockey in your life?: Played hockey until I was 20, played a couple of games vs Nylander and Pasta in Sweden. Most recently i was coaching kids in China just before covid.
Favorite Av moment: When colorado played vs ottawa in Stockholm, just after the duchene trade.
LEAST favorite Av moment:
How and when did you become an Av fan?: My father liked Colorado and bought merch to me when i was 4 years old and I´ve been hooked ever since.
Shoots: Left
Position: Defence/center

IndustryLeech

Jan 23, 2013
Fort Collins, CO
Name: Brian
Favroite Music Artist(s): Tool, Porcupine Tree, any Mike Patton project (but most of all Mr Bungle), Opeth etc...
Favorite TV show: Curb Your Enthusiasm
Favorite Book(s) or Author(s): Neil Gaiman
Favorite Av: Landeskog
Favorite Ex-Av: Forsberg
Favorite non-Av: Anže Kopitar
Next or other favorite team: Washington Caps
How else is hockey in your life?: I bonded with my son watching the Avs. I have seen every Avs game save maybe a dozen or so that were blacked out on NHL Center Ice.
Favorite Av moment: Being at McNichols with my brother and my friend for game 4 of the Stanley Cup Finals and seeing Krupp score in triple OT on the jumbotron for the Cup win.
How and when did you become an Av fan?: I was a fan the minute the Nordiques moved to Colorado.

BoneCherry

Nov 19, 2021
Dallas
Name: Ken
Favorite Music Artist(s): Tonio K
Favorite TV show: Bosch
Favorite Book(s) or Author(s): CS Lewis, classics, Russian literature
Favorite Av: Cale Makar or Mikko Rantanen
Favorite Ex-Av: Adam Deadmarsh, Joe Sakic, Patrick Roy and Peter Forsberg.
Favorite non-Av: Gordie Howe
Next or other favorite team: I follow the Avs and I follow other players more than I follow specific teams.
How else is hockey in your life?: I don't know that it is. When I've traveled internationally, I've tried to schedule around games when I could.
Favorite Av moment: The first Stanley Cup win.
LEAST favorite Av moment: The rebuilding years.
How and when did you become an Av fan?: I liked the Nordiques and when they moved to Colorado, I remained a fan.
Shoots: Right
Position: Goalie

I traveled to Mexico by myself when I was 16 without telling anyone I was going. I didn't speak a word of Spanish - but it was a fun trip. I hitched a ride with a couple heading south. I separated from them in Laredo and I made it to Guadalajara, and spent a couple of weeks there, then I returned home. I've always been the kind to hit the road when the feeling takes me.
I moved to Canada when I was 21 with $200 and a change of clothes. - I went through the immigration process and got married to a Canadian in Regina, Saskatchewan when I was 22. Still married to her 30 years later.
I still really like to travel, mostly solo. One of my goals is to sail across the Atlantic either solo or with one other person.
I don't take myself too seriously. I like to relax and have a good time. I don't hold grudges and I hope others don't either.

Kaapo Cabana

Next name: Admiral Kakkbar
Sep 5, 2014
Philadelphia
Name: Sean
City: Philadelphia, PA
Favoite Music Artist(s): The Avett Brothers
Favorite Book(s) or Author(s): don't really have a favorite
Favorite Av: Mackinnon
Favorite Ex-Av: Sakic
Favorite non-Av: Kaapo Kakko
Next or other favorite team: NYR
How else is hockey in your life?: I play Dek every week
Favorite Av moment: Being drafted into bandwagon fanhood yesterday.
How and when did you become an Av fan?: Yesterday, by bandwagon draft
I regret to inform all of you that the moment the rangers got good, I got off the bandwagon.

Good luck in your future endeavors

Enjoy the cup.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad