Colorado Avalanche 2013 draft preview

HF Article

Nov 16, 2005

The Colorado Avalanche have had quite a bit of turnover already in their off-season, first firing former Head Coach Joe Sacco, then hiring Patrick Roy to be their new bench boss and Vice President of Hockey Ops and promoting Joe Sakic to be their Executive Vice President of Hockey Ops. Roy and Sakic have joined the fray and will look to help the team improve upon their prospect base that has them sitting 29th in the NHL in that regard.

The good news for Avs fans is that Colorado holds the first overall pick in this year’s draft and has eight picks in the entire draft.… read more

More...

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
The Avs have the 29th ranked prospect base?

Surely you jest.

Our best young talent is already in the nhl. This draft won't really help our ranking because the first overall will be too. The 32nd will have to be one hell of a pick.

Edit: I do feel like the 7.5C is a cop out. It seems like everyone is a 7.5C. I wish they'd use more 7's and 8's. a lot of times hf will put in the report that a guy is a top line talent and rank him 7.5. I don't get it.

For ex: Based on hf's reports, I'd rank the following:
Siemens 8C
Barrie 7B
Elliott 7C

Last edited:

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
The Avs have 0 depth in the minors. I wouldn't mind seeing Stastny dealt out for some specs. But with Roy coming aboard I doubt thats going to happen.

Cypher

May 25, 2011
Edmonton
avalanche.nhl.com
Not saying ours is anything to brag about, but based on that article, they are considering our Top 10 Prospects to be:

1. Tyson Barrie, D
2. Michael Sgarbossa, C
3. Stefan Elliott, D
4. Duncan Seimens, D
5. Calvin Pickard, G
6. Kent Patterson, G
7. Kieran Millan, G
8. Sami Aittokallio, G
9. Colin Smith, C
10. Troy Bourke, LW

Doe San Jose and Calgary really have better pools then that?

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
I think our CHL prospects are going to need to start showing off some more in the AHL. Sgarbossa had a great first pro season. I wasn't expecting him to do so well, thought he might struggle a bit in his first season and then pull it together in his second season. He definitely didn't need much time to acquaint himself to the AHL. I thought Pickard and Aittokallio did well in their first seasons as pro's as well. Obviously a bit of a road ahead for them but their coming along nicely. All in all definitely not the greatest prospect pool but if our CHL prospects can transition well to the AHL we'll be in better shape.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad