guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Post game talk?
Man the time change really does mess things up. :D

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
I'll not have any time over, I am coming to Cologne just before the game and leaving right away afterwards.
Normally I'd be pissed off that I won't be seeing Larsson, my favourite player ... But I am too excited to see McDavid, and the Oilers in general for the first time, to care.

Reactions: ujju2

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany
Just wanted to stop by quickly to wish you guys a great time here.

I'll be pretty busy and/or drunk and/or asleep between now and game time tomorrow, so not sure if I'm of much help in case of any questions about places to drink/eat/etc, but I'll try. Basically, for the vintage Cologne experience, check out a Brauhaus ("brewing house") or two of the local breweries (Früh/Gaffel/Päffgen, with old school Lommerzheim being the closest to the arena). Oma Kleimann is also a city-wide classic if you like yourself a large Schnitzel in the student/bar area. For post game needs, nearby Hotel Lux is a personal favorite (if you enjoy vodka and don't mind Russian/Communist themes in design...).

I heard something about a pre-game party around the arena 2.5ish hours before the game, so if you're looking to save a few bucks and really blend in, I'd advise to take advantage of German laws on public drinking (or rather the lack thereof), buy a few bottles at a nearby kiosk and enjoy it by the arena (assuming they don't put up any blockades, which I doubt).

Little hint for in-arena beer-needs: a bundle of four beers (0.4L, Kölsch and Weizen at one stand near the North) is 15€, and paying with Master Card saves you 25%, bringing the price per beer down to a very acceptable 2,80€ish, which should be a nice change of pace for what you're used to. :D

Cheers and again, enjoy your stay! =)

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
I'll not have any time over, I am coming to Cologne just before the game and leaving right away afterwards.
Normally I'd be pissed off that I won't be seeing Larsson, my favourite player ... But I am too excited to see McDavid, and the Oilers in general for the first time, to care.

Ditto

CookiesAndMilk

Generational Backhand Pass
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2016
Kyoto
One of the few Oilers games, for which I don't have to get up at 3am in the morning to watch it. Stupid me scheduled a work meeting nonetheless :banghead:

Reactions: snipes and Mez

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Fyi

Germany is one of those countries you are supposed to ID on you at all timez.. cops are not as strict like in paris where they issue on the spot fines like they are going out of style. But they can cause you problem

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
For those who want hunt the team down they are staying at the 5 star hotel accross from the cathedral
Excelsior I assume: 230 EUR for a single room from Wednesday to Thursday, not too bad. I wonder if the players will hang out in the hotel bar after the game.
Too bad I have to leave right away.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Thanks for the thread, keep the stuff and reports coming. All of us that couldn't be there like the content. Anybody see the team at Cologne Cathedral?

ps don't get lost in the Catacombs. I've heard that's possible.. somebody take Lucic there..(oh, that's not nice!)

Random comment but the Euro is pretty doable right now from a Canabuck pov. Not as costly a trip as I might have thought. albeit game was sold out anyway.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
@Changeiscoming
You're looking for a pre-game beer or post-game beer? It is possible that I can either come a bit earlier or leave later, but it's very uncertain. Still, if I manage it would be nice to meet up. Anyone else in Cologne who's coming for a meet-up?

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
@Changeiscoming
You're looking for a pre-game beer or post-game beer? It is possible that I can either come a bit earlier or leave later, but it's very uncertain. Still, if I manage it would be nice to meet up. Anyone else in Cologne who's coming for a meet-up?

@dropthegloves @FiveforFighting I stumbled across. One was known as night witch. I walked by the patio they were drinking on when I heard "what is the time difference between cologne and Edmonton." And were off for a three hour chin wag. Dropthegloives thinks it was a set up as I had sent witch some links for tickets.

I was the youngest at the table for a change

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
@Changeiscoming

Where and when do you want to meet?

I still do not have a ticket (this amuses some people..yes I came to cologne without a ticket just to meet my fellow oiler fans) so looks like I am watching from a stool

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
Where and when do you want to meet?

I still do not have a ticket (this amuses some people..yes I came to cologne without a ticket just to meet my fellow oiler fans) so looks like I am watching from a stool
Wherever, probably better post-game, no?
I'll be there an hour before it starts, but parking and trying to get my bearings might take a bit and then I'll probably go into the stadium around 30 mins before the game.

Where, no idea. Whereever there is a beer or two. Excelsior :thumbu:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad