Collusion alleged to sign QB

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Reactions: Kirk Van Houten

TheGreenTBer

shut off the power while I take a big shit
Apr 30, 2021
I like Lamar Jackson but he doesn't deserve a fully guaranteed deal at this stage. That is undeniable and if you believe otherwise I have to question your objectivity.

I'm not saying Watson deserved it either, but a fully guaranteed contract for a guy with this level of injury issues is suicide considering you need to cater your offense around him to a significant degree.

Reactions: IceKitties

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
This is like the offer sheet in hockey. GM's and owner's don't want to use it.

Exactly. By all accounts Baltimore would most likely match any offer to Jackson. Meaning a team interested in signing Jackson would be doing Baltimore’s contract negotiations for them.

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2007
I like Lamar Jackson but he doesn't deserve a fully guaranteed deal at this stage. That is undeniable and if you believe otherwise I have to question your objectivity.

I'm not saying Watson deserved it either, but a fully guaranteed contract for a guy with this level of injury issues is suicide considering you need to cater your offense around him to a significant degree.
It's just a risky contract. If you thought it means you get Lamar Jackson and Baltimore doesn't match then it makes sense to possibly take on that risk, a nonguaranteed contract Baltimore would of course match so you don't get him.

The bigger issue I bet Baltimore would even match a fully guaranteed contract unless it were truly absurd, seems like teams are just deathly afraid of having to guarantee NFL players contracts and are trying very very hard to make sure Watson's deal is just an anomaly.

Fish on The Sand

Untouchable
Feb 28, 2002
Canada
Articles that say collusion must be afoot because owners don't want to give Jackson a Watson contract is plain lazy.

The article asserts Jackson as better than Watson, ergo Jackson deserves more.

Jackson being better than Watson is a highly debatable assertion to begin with and one that probably wouldn't be made, at least with such confidence, had Watson not turned out to be such a shitty person.

With that said, you never see arguments from the other side.

Jackson is definitively worse than Mahomes and Allen, and owners would be doing themselves and their teams a disservice by paying an inferior player significantly more money than those guys.

Recognizing that the Watson contract was stupid and not wanting to replicate it isn't collusion, it's just confirmation that the Browns greatly overreached to get the deal done.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017

Any big name player will get their contract reworked to help free up cap space to sign other players. The harder it is to get Lamar signed now, how helpful is he going to be in 2 years if you need him to restructure his contract to free up cap room?

Lamar isn’t exactly giving teams a lot of reasons to believe doing business with him is going to be easy down the road.

Reactions: TheGreenTBer

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad