Referees: Colleges/Areas with good referee opportunities

Nuge93

Stuck in a "Rebuild"
Jun 27, 2013
Starting up the good ole' college search soon and I'm looking for colleges or certain areas that good opportunities to ref. As I'm only in HS it's a great money maker, and certainly will be for college when I need that extra dough.

I feel like North Dakota (UND) could be a decent area.

Boston (BC or BU) seems like it could be a fit, but also a challenge with such a large city.

Anything in Buffalo?

New York? Maybe on the outskirts/suburbs.

Minnesota is amazing (UMD/U of M) (I'm from here so I know what a good ref market is like)

Thanks for the input!

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
The smaller the city/town, the less opportunity there is.

ND, won't have as many games available as Boston, New York, or Minnesota.

But I think you are doing this backwards, you pick the school you want to go to based on any criteria other than reffing opportunities...

MattGTI

Dec 4, 2010
Milford
I'm guessing you are around 17/18 years old? So basically you can only possibly ref youth hockey. There is youth hockey just about everywhere in the US. Obviously it's far more prominent in some of the aforementioned areas.

As someone from Boston, who now lives out in the suburbs, I can tell you there are plenty of youth hockey leagues in MA. However, there are also a ton of great schools, some solid night life, and some really attractive women. It's a great sports area in general, and there is a lot to do in general. Did I mention there are great schools here?

Reffing, and the 45.00-50.00 a game you will make should be low on the plus/minus list when planning out the next 4 years of your life.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad