Proposal: College Prospect playoff eligibility?

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
* it made me pick a prefix *

Every now and then we see a College prospect sign their ELC and join up with their respective NHL club for the playoffs where they make their debut.
For example Makar.

My question is can a team trade the rights of their College player during the playoffs or before the end of the season, that player sign an ELC with his new club, and be eligible to play in the playoffs?

For example if Carolina traded Adam Fox’s rights to let’s say Vegas today. Could Fox sign his ELC and be eligible to play in the playoffs?

I’m not saying or proposing this. Just using an example because Fox is a well known prospect. Also I realize the canes are in the playoffs and why would they potentially help a team they have to play down the road. If that bothers you then pick a non playoff team.

Thanks.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
No, Fox could not play because he wasn't on Vegas's reserve list at the trade deadline. He could sign and play with Carolina, but not Vegas if Vegas were to acquire him today. If Vegas had acquired him prior to the trade deadline, then yes, they could sign him and he could play now.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
No, Fox could not play because he wasn't on Vegas's reserve list at the trade deadline. He could sign and play with Carolina, but not Vegas if Vegas were to acquire him today. If Vegas had acquired him prior to the trade deadline, then yes, they could sign him and he could play now.
Thank you

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->