College players to become free agents?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Ron

Jun 9, 2003
Gardnerville, NV
Visit site
This is the first I have heard of this. If true it may keep teams from drafting college players. Also some interesting info on minor league players.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/hockey/nhl/2005-07-24-question-answer-cba_x.htm

Q: Any under-reported twists to the CBA?

A: Yes, if a drafted player stays in college until his class graduates, he becomes an unrestricted free agent on Aug. 15 of that year. This could make more players stay in college. Also, players making more than $75,000 in the minors have to clear waivers to come to the NHL. That, in effect, acts like a minor league cap because players won't want to have a salary that prevents them from moving easily to the big leagues.

KlausJopling

Feb 17, 2003
CT
Visit site
Yes, if a drafted player stays in college until his class graduates, he becomes an unrestricted free agent on Aug. 15 of that year. This could make more players stay in college.

I could be wrong on this. But this isn't really that big a deal. I believe the rules now are that you own a College Players rights until 1 year after his Class graduates. This is only moving the time to sign a player up 1 year. Most College players that will earn an NHL contract will get that right after his senior year anyway.

Egil

Mar 6, 2002
Visit site
Would these UFA College players be outside the entry-level system? If no, then this isn't a big deal, but if yes.....

kdb209

Jan 26, 2005
Egil said:
Would these UFA College players be outside the entry-level system? If no, then this isn't a big deal, but if yes.....

Nope. They go thru the ELS in either case, so it's not a big deal - unless he's on the 7 yr degree program.

And in any case, it's pretty rare for a top college prospect to actually play all 4 NCAA years before signing. Most jump their sophmore, junior, or senior year.

How long will a player be in the Entry Level system?

Players who sign their first contract at age 18-21 are required to sign three-year Entry Level contracts; players age 22-23 will be required to sign two-year deals; and players age 24 will be required to sign a one-year Entry Level contract.

Jester

Jul 9, 2004
St. Andrews
Also, players making more than $75,000 in the minors have to clear waivers to come to the NHL. That, in effect, acts like a minor league cap because players won't want to have a salary that prevents them from moving easily to the big leagues.

i would imagine that if a team picked the player up off of waivers in this situation they would be required to put them on their NHL roster... doesn't make much sense w/out that being the deal.

Realm

Jun 5, 2005
rwilson99 said:
It could create a good situation for US college hockey to develop some top level players.

Could make the 09 Frozen Four in Tampa very interesting.

Frozen four in TB, what a joke!! As well as Ford field in Detroit, good luck NCAA!!

don

Aug 31, 2002
Nashua, NH
Disagree - This is a big deal

sammy87 said:
I could be wrong on this. But this isn't really that big a deal. I believe the rules now are that you own a College Players rights until 1 year after his Class graduates. This is only moving the time to sign a player up 1 year. Most College players that will earn an NHL contract will get that right after his senior year anyway.

Before if a college player didn't sign after graduating he had to sit out at least a year before signing with another team. Now he only has to sit out 2.5 months and won't lose a season.

missK

Aug 1, 2002
Lightning country
Visit site
Realm said:
Frozen four in TB, what a joke!! As well as Ford field in Detroit, good luck NCAA!!

There are two NHL teams in Florida, we've had two NHL All-Star Games in Florida, and the Lightning won a Stanley Cup in Florida, are they all jokes to you too? Get real!! The game isn't played outdoors so what's your problem?

NYR469

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Spongebob said:
This is the first I have heard of this. If true it may keep teams from drafting college players. Also some interesting info on minor league players.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/hockey/nhl/2005-07-24-question-answer-cba_x.htm

it won't prevent teams from picking ncaa players because the really good ones don't stay in school for 4 years anyway.

CHL players can be lost if they aren't signed after 2 years and that doesn't scare any teams away, so why would having to sign guys within 5 years make a difference?

Captain Ron

Jun 9, 2003
Gardnerville, NV
Visit site
NYR469 said:
it won't prevent teams from picking ncaa players because the really good ones don't stay in school for 4 years anyway.

CHL players can be lost if they aren't signed after 2 years and that doesn't scare any teams away, so why would having to sign guys within 5 years make a difference?

Because you might have that occasional guy who even though he is talented might want to graduate just in case the whole "hockey thing" doesn't work out.

dwkdnvr

Mar 10, 2004
Ok, correct me if I'm wrong here, but isn't the word 'unsigned' missing from the initial quote? There's no way a college kid with a signed contract will automatically gain UFA status upon graduation. If I'm right that this only applies to unsigned players, then it's a non-issue for anyone with a legit shot at the NHL, but it might have an impact on stocking AHL teams.

Schlep Rock

Feb 28, 2002
USA
don said:
Before if a college player didn't sign after graduating he had to sit out at least a year before signing with another team. Now he only has to sit out 2.5 months and won't lose a season.

This is a moot point... he won't "sit out a year" he'd play in the AHL, ECHL, UHL, or CHL but if he is good enough to play in the AHL his drafting team will sign him.

sveiglar

Feb 27, 2002
Schlep Rock said:
If he's good enough, he'll be signed... teams won't hang around until after August 15th hoping a college kid will become an UFA and fit him under the cap.

It's not a question of the player being good enough to play; it's about the player holding the team hostage with unreasonable demands or flatly refusing to sign and then being able to be a UFA and pick your team and still play that season. While a player always has the right to never sign with a given drafting team, before it would cost that player a year after graduation to make that decision. Now it won't.

MikeC44

Sep 18, 2003
Moncton, NB
Visit site
dwkdnvr said:
Ok, correct me if I'm wrong here, but isn't the word 'unsigned' missing from the initial quote? There's no way a college kid with a signed contract will automatically gain UFA status upon graduation. If I'm right that this only applies to unsigned players, then it's a non-issue for anyone with a legit shot at the NHL, but it might have an impact on stocking AHL teams.

It was left out because once an NCAA player signs a pro contract, he is no longer eligible to play NCAA hockey.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad