College Hockey Reading Thread

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
Perusing the Hockey History Books thread, this sub-topic didn't seem like a good fit. So I decided to start a thread in this college hockey forum to see if other fans had favorite (or unfavorite) books about the college game that I could check into. Please share. Thanks.

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
Lacking new hockey to watch, I turned to hockey books to fill the void. I just finished a very good book published in 2018, "Great Game! D1 College Hockey: People, Places, Perspectives," by Bruce Haas. Through use of a series of interviews, the author did an excellent job of translating the experiences and emotions of college hockey fans & coaches & players & on-ice officials & pep band members (the aspect that drew my wife and me to the college game) into an enjoyable read. There's also a short chapter near the end describing some past & present D1 "barns" & their game day atmospheres that will be going on my bucket list for future road trips.

This book is easy to read, thoughtfully divided into chapters with a good pace & some very nice photo plates sprinkled throughout that were provided by several of his interview subjects. "Great Game!" is definitely a recommended read for D1 men's college hockey fans (you might even recognize some of the people interviewed), and college hockey fans following other leagues (men's & women's) should be able to appreciate the stories as well.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad