college free agents...

Status
Not open for further replies.

maximil

Aug 29, 2003
Visit site
Pretty early in the season to start talking about this but...

Which undrafted college hockey players do you think are going to be offered contracts at the end of the season?

I'm especially interested in what you think about Harvard's Tim Pettit.

Last edited:

V for Voodoo

Nov 7, 2002
Boom Shaka-Laka.
Visit site
Yann Danis - Goalie @ Brown
Thomas Pock - Defenseman @ What the guy below me said

These two were highly thought of by OilersChick, who is the most avid and probably the best College source there is on the boards. She named a few more, i'm sure she'll stop by this thread sooner or later.

Last edited:

Ejh18

Mar 3, 2003
Columbus
Visit site
Voodoo Daddy said:
Thomas Pock - Defenseman @ Michigan

These two were highly thought of by OilersChick, who is the most avid and probably the best College source there is on the boards. She named a few more, i'm sure she'll stop by this thread sooner or later.

I thought Thomas Pock went to Umass-Amherst?

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I've only seen clips of Yann Danis, but he looked great in those clips, plus I got a chance to speak to Cornell's assistant coach, right after they faced Danis, and he had a lot of good things to say about the goalie.

I like Rene Bourque at Wisconsin, who could be a good pickup for AHL help.

Oilers Chick

Jun 7, 2002
Philly in April 2014
Visit site
Voodoo Daddy said:
Thomas Pock - Defenseman @ What the guy below me said

Thanks Voodoo Daddy. :)

The other two players I mentioned were Cornell's Ryan Vesce and BC's Tony Voce. These guys can put the puck in the net. However, their size may be of some concern to many NHL teams.

BTW, Pock goes to UMass.

The other players mentioned Tim Pettit, Chris Harrington and Rene "No I am not Ray's son" Bourque are also going to be looked at by several NHL clubs (if they haven't been already). Two other players I would add to the list is UNH's Steve Saviano and BU netminder Sean Fields. I love Saviano's work ethic and he's a guy you can count on to step it up a notch when needed. Fields will give you 110% every night and he can be clutch in clutch situations. He is (IMO) one of the NCAA's most underrated goalies.

Another player who could also garner some interest is Rich Peverley out of SLU. He plays on SLU's top line T. J. Trevelyan and John Zeiler and has been terrific thus far.

Kev88

Co-Founder of LaPasserelle
Nov 30, 2003
Canada
www.lapasserellehockey.com
montreal said:
I've only seen clips of Yann Danis, but he looked great in those clips, plus I got a chance to speak to Cornell's assistant coach, right after they faced Danis, and he had a lot of good things to say about the goalie.

I like Rene Bourque at Wisconsin, who could be a good pickup for AHL help.

I've heard from somebody very near of him that he refused some months ago a contract of ± 400 000 to the MTL Canadiens and he refused Washington too.

And I totally agree with you, he looks great on the ice.

Schlep Rock

Feb 28, 2002
USA
I personally feel that Fields has more pro potential than Dannis and I've watched both of them for a while.

Fields is struggling this year though so it will hurt his 1st NHL contract.

Hockeypuck

For Maine I'd say G Frank Doyle 10-4-5 gaa 2.14 sv% .915 last year and
7-1 gaa 1.88 sv% .919 this year. He's a steady consistent goalie who has great composure. He's been great the past 2 years,but gets overshadowed a bit by Jimmy Howard. And I'd also add D Prestin Ryan to the list. This year in 14 games he has 3 goals 5 assists with a +15 and has been the best D man on the ice in most games this year.

Schlep Rock

Feb 28, 2002
USA
Hockeypuck said:
For Maine I'd say G Frank Doyle 10-4-5 gaa 2.14 sv% .915 last year and
7-1 gaa 1.88 sv% .919 this year. He's a steady consistent goalie who has great composure. He's been great the past 2 years,but gets overshadowed a bit by Jimmy Howard. And I'd also add D Prestin Ryan to the list. This year in 14 games he has 3 goals 5 assists with a +15 and has been the best D man on the ice in most games this year.

I haven't seen Doyle yet this year but there's been a lot of positive reports on him in the past and I'm still seeing some when he does get into games.

He is certainly overshadowed by Howard but personally I'm not that high on Howard and think people will begin to see his flaws once he turns pro. I could be wrong but I don't see how Sean Fields can go undrafted and Howard can get picked high.

Hockeypuck

Schlep Rock said:
I haven't seen Doyle yet this year but there's been a lot of positive reports on him in the past and I'm still seeing some when he does get into games.

He is certainly overshadowed by Howard but personally I'm not that high on Howard and think people will begin to see his flaws once he turns pro. I could be wrong but I don't see how Sean Fields can go undrafted and Howard can get picked high.
I've seen pretty much every game Howard has played at Maine and he's definitely the best goalie that has ever come through Maine including Snow and Dunham. He had a few rough games in Februrary and March last year,but he hasn't had a bad one this year. He's very fundamentally sound and quite athletic for his size. Doyle is more of a steady eddy type goalie. He doesn't steal many games like Howard has,but he makes the saves he should and a few he shouldn't. I like Fields as well,but he hasn't had his best games against Maine :D It seems like he has stolen quite a few games for BU over the past 3 years,but also tends to be inconsistent and gives a few away. Goalies are definitely a wild card when it comes to predicting in the future, but I'd love to see both Howard and Doyle do well. And for that matter all college goalies because I believe the college goalies are underrated.

Schlep Rock

Feb 28, 2002
USA
Hockeypuck said:
I've seen pretty much every game Howard has played at Maine and he's definitely the best goalie that has ever come through Maine including Snow and Dunham. He had a few rough games in Februrary and March last year,but he hasn't had a bad one this year. He's very fundamentally sound and quite athletic for his size. Doyle is more of a steady eddy type goalie. He doesn't steal many games like Howard has,but he makes the saves he should and a few he shouldn't. I like Fields as well,but he hasn't had his best games against Maine :D It seems like he has stolen quite a few games for BU over the past 3 years,but also tends to be inconsistent and gives a few away. Goalies are definitely a wild card when it comes to predicting in the future, but I'd love to see both Howard and Doyle do well. And for that matter all college goalies because I believe the college goalies are underrated.

Points taken.

I just feel Howard isn't all he's cracked up to be... time will tell.

I've liked Fields since Day One and continue too... I personally feel this kid is going to be really good.

Hockeypuck

Schlep Rock said:
Points taken.

I just feel Howard isn't all he's cracked up to be... time will tell.

I've liked Fields since Day One and continue too... I personally feel this kid is going to be really good.
I think Fields is a good goalie,but I feel Howard will be a #1 in the NHL. Like I said before time will tell and I hope Howard,Doyle, and Fields will be starters. But who knows :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad