Collecting Sticks

Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts
I remember my uncle had like 5 Koho sticks he would keep in his office just for nostalgia purposes. I think I've seen some posters say they have kept some Easton sticks around here. Does anyone here collect sticks just cause? I got a TPS R8, R10 from high school, and had a TPS Rubber shaft until that exploded after a one-timer in a roller hockey game.

Anyone else?

Reactions: Filthy Dangles

puckpilot

Oct 23, 2016
I'm a bit of a hockey hoarder, so I've got a pile of sticks collected through the years. I've got what was my first stick, a red Titan.

Reactions: cowboy82nd

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
I wish, my youth went right through the transition to composite so I had some good ‘uns- I remember a Titan where it had composite-wood-composite on the shaft or somethin, then an Easton aluminum shaft. That thing was dope.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
I'm usually in net, but I can't help but pick up player sticks if I spot them at a good price. Since I started playing around 2002, I'm definitely partial to my Easton sticks/shafts from when I first started.

Mike Green is using a stick that hasn’t been manufactured for nearly a decade - TheHockeyNews

Awhile back, Mike Green was trying to find all of his discontinued Easton Stealth CNT sticks since he didn't like the feel of the newer models. I had that stick and posted a pic of it on an old thread on this board and somebody randomly reached out to me and asked if I'd be open to selling it.

I bought a couple cheap Easton Cyclone senior 70 flex shafts but gave them to friends. I wish I had kept one since I loved the feel of the rounded corners.

My buddy's cousin used to work for Easton, so he'd get some test sticks periodically. He ended up giving me the original Easton Stealth for free, but somebody swiped it at the rink a few years later. Back then, Easton used have a somewhat arbitrary ratings for Performance and Durability on their sticks/shafts. Presumably the scale was 1-10, but the Stealth comically was listed at 11 (my Synergy SL is 10.5). Naturally that reminded of This is Spinal Tap. I wish I still had that stick if only I could say "this stick goes to eleven."

And then a random story about that Synergy SL. A hockey teammate also must have had a connection with Easton as he showed up to the rink one day with like ten of them sealed in plastic. He was selling them for half off retail, so I bought one even though 100 flex was too stiff for me. Back then I checked an equipment message board called ModSquadHockey frequently and they had a classified section to buy/sell/trade gear.

One day I worked out a trade to send out the SL to some guy in Buffalo who was supposed to send me a new pair of Bauer XXX gloves. I sent out the stick, but the gloves never showed up. I gave the guy the benefit of the doubt, but he kept giving me the runaround. Some other posters also said they'd been stiffed by that guy. I gave up hope and was venting to a buddy about it. Buddy then went the extra mile and tracked the guy down. Ended up being some teenager, his dad said he had concocted a story about the Sabres gifting him free equipment. My buddy threatened to bring it to litigation and the kid eventually mailed my stick back. Sadly that friend passed away a year later due to a boating accident, so I've kept that stick as a momento to him.

patrik-elias.jpg

I loved my Mission M-1 stick from back in the day. My local store had the intermediate mismarked as a junior stick, so I got it for more than 50% off. Recently picked up a Mission L-2 tapered shaft from the same era for $20. At some point, I think Mission started working with Callaway golf near San Diego. An employee posted some wacky test shafts for super cheap and I picked them up. I wish I remember what I did with them (probably just sold them at cost to friends). Just wacky things like a senior shaft that was 45 flex.

In recent years, I've managed to curtail my stick buying habit to a degree. I picked up a Patrik Elias pro return CCM RBZ Stage 2 stick which I keep as a souvenir. I have one friend who has a connection with Warrior hockey and they do manufacturing across the border in Tijuana. So maybe once a year, that friend gets a bunch of test sticks to distribute. Last year he gave me an Taylor Hall Easton Synergy HTX stick; Easton's more or less kaput, so those players wanted the various companies to clone the sticks they had been using. And speaking of Easton, the last time I splurged on a player stick was the Easton GX which might be the last model that they ever released.

Last year my car got stolen and I had a handful of goalie sticks in there plus a couple player sticks and a pair of Adam Henrique pro return Warrior gloves. Was almost more upset about the equipment than the car (which was recovered a few months later). In particular I was annoyed since I had retired this rare-ish Reebok composite goalie stick but brought it back for my last playoff game in my beer league. It had been sitting in my garage for years, but I had decided on a whim to break it out.

1900713_10102178183779074_1792731030_o.jpg

And then I file this one under "God, you're stupid." I started playing goal in 2002 and I had zero idea what I was doing. The first thing I splurged on was a replica Brodeur mask. Another goalie saw that I was a Devils fan and he gave me a pro return Brodeur Heaton 10 stick. I didn't grasp that I should keep this as a souvenir rather that use it. I think the other guy had played with it, so it wasn't in the greatest shape so it became my backup stick. One day, my friend says he's going to play in a tournament out of town and that his cousin needs to borrow a goalie stick. So I give him the Brodeur stick. The following week I'm expecting my friend to give back the stick and he's like "Oh crap, I think my cousin left it at the rink." So that stick was lost forever.

One did pop up on eBay a few years back and I paid more than I should have for it. I also used to have the senior model of the Heaton 10 leg pads + glove/blocker, but I sold those to a friend which I regretted years later. I bought a lightly used glove years after.

38267389_10106037497438564_7400214241392721920_o.jpg

A couple years ago, a set of pro return Heaton 10 Brodeur pads were on eBay and I decided to splurge. I was always fond of those pads since that model was what Brodeur used for the 2002 Olympics and 2003 Stanley Cup.

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts
What an awesome read @Brodeur! I remember when the M-1 came out, they also had a special limited edition Chinese Pink Stick?

I remember when the original Stealths came out, our local hockey shop was able to snag them a week early before the release date. Safe to say, we were the talked about travel team at the time.

it’s so weird. Nowadays there are just three(?) main brands (Bauer, CCM, Warrior) and some smaller ones (Verbero, STX). Before there were TPS, Mission, Easton, GRAF, Combat, KOHO, Cooper and so many other ones. It would be cool to have a different amount of variety with the sticks nowadays but it is what it is with licensing and companies buying other companies.

Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts
Rememeber when sticks were $20? $50? $100? Those were the good days.

f*** them for selling them for $200-300 these days.

I think it was because there were so many different models. I remember when 2-pieces were still in the hockey mix, Easton had so many different shaft types. Ultra Lite, Z-Bubble, Synthesis, Typhoon, Ultra Carbon, and others were half of what the other stock was. I wish 2-piece sticks were still a thing!

Rick C137

Jun 5, 2018
Only old stick I still hold on to was my first one just because it’s such a classic I can’t bring myself to get rid of it... the Gretzky Aluminum.

Reactions: Brodeur

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Only old stick I still hold on to was my first one just because it’s such a classic I can’t bring myself to get rid of it... the Gretzky Aluminum.

I'm still annoyed that my folks tossed my Easton aluminum. Awhile back, I found an unused Easton aluminum shaft online and bought it for the lolz. It was in my car when it was stolen and the thieves took all my other sticks except for that one. Not sure why they left that one, perhaps since it didn't have a blade in it they assumed it was broken?

Reactions: Rick C137

Rick C137

Jun 5, 2018
I'm still annoyed that my folks tossed my Easton aluminum. Awhile back, I found an unused Easton aluminum shaft online and bought it for the lolz. It was in my car when it was stolen and the thieves took all my other sticks except for that one. Not sure why they left that one, perhaps since it didn't have a blade in it they assumed it was broken?
Funny you mention that. The only reason that was my first hockey stick was a similar reason. My family diddnt have a crazy amount of money when I was growing up. Pretty much always had my older brothers hand me downs and other used equipment. Around the same time I got old enough to play my dad found an aluminum in the garbage can that just had a broken blade. The only stick I’ve ever had that I’ve grown out of and not broken lol.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->