Collected research into women's hockey history

jigglysquishy

Jun 20, 2011
Regina, Saskatchewan
I've been running through a lot of research the last six months and putting my own list together.

Using the same methodology we've used for all our lists, Wickenheiser will be number 1, Poulin number 2, and there's about 3 names in play for 3 (Hefford, Hiirikoski, Ruggiero).

If we look at Olympics only, it would be Poulin. If we look at World Championships and club play too, it's Wickenheiser.

Wickenheiser was named top forward by the media in 4 World Championships. Poulin, 3 times. Wickenheiser has 2 Olympic MVPs to Poulin's 0.

Reading contemporary opinion, Wickenheiser comes across much stronger. A solid gap between everyone and widely spoken of as the best of all time. Poulin has been the best of the pack, but not that far ahead of Kessel, Knight, and Daoust. Poulin also suffers from a reputation of a coaster in non Gold medal games. She is only sitting at 1 point in 2 games this year.

I still think this is the best project to do and I hope we get enough interest to tackle it next fall.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
So it looks like we won't be doing the top 40 women this year, but hopefully we pull it off next year. I'd like to consolidate all research into one thread for easier reading. Feel free to post any and all research into the subject here.

I'll update the OP to include a categorized collection into women's hockey research.

Pre-World War II
This encompasses the golden age of women's hockey, where domestic leagues existed throughout eastern Canada before collapsing during the Depression and World War II
@Black Gold Extractor's season-by-season analysis
Women's hockey in Eastern Canada, 1915-16
Women's hockey in Eastern Canada, 1916-17
Women's hockey in Eastern Canada, 1917-18

Alpine Cup (1917-1939 Banff Winter Carnival tourney)

Dominion Women’s Amateur Hockey Association (1933-1940)

Ladies Ontario Hockey Association (1923-1940)

Montreal District Ladies Hockey League (1929-1938)

Preston Rivulettes - the famous team and their league activities in Ontario

World War II to 1987 World Women's Hockey Tournament
This encompasses the lean years of post war women's hockey, through to the first international women's hockey tournament
-

1987-1998
This encompasses the international-only era, before the kick off of the first post-war major club league, the National Women's Hockey League in 1998
-

1998-Present
This encompasses the modern era with competing club leagues, annual international tournaments, and Olympic participation
Overview of Women's Hockey at the Olympics

Top Women's Lists
@AlfiesHair's Top 25 Best Female Hockey Players of All Time
Crease Giant's Top 25 Greatest Goalies of Women's Hockey History
The Athletic's Top 50 Olympians for the 2022 Olympics

Recommended Reading
General
Proud Past, Bright Future: One Hundred Years of Canadian Women’s Hockey (Brian MacFarlane) - All encompassing women's hockey history in Canada - 1994
Queens of the Ice (Carly Adams) - 1930s Women's Hockey - 2011
Pink Power: The First Women’s World Hockey Champions (Lorna Schultz Nicholso) - 1990 IIHF Women's World Championship - 2008
On the Edge: Women Making Hockey History ( Elizabeth Etue and Megan K. Williams) - Women's hockey in the 1990s in Canada - 1996
Crashing the Net: The U.S. Women’s Olympic Ice Hockey Team and the Road to Gold ( Mary Turco) - 1998 US Olympic Women's Team - 1999
Too Many Men On the Ice: Women’s Hockey in North America (Joanna Avery and Julie Stevens) - Pre-WW II Women's Hockey - 1997
Women on Ice: The Early Years of Women's Hockey in Western Canada (Wayne Norton) - Pre-WW II Women's Hockey in Western Canada -2009

Biographies
Gold Medal Diary: Inside the World’s Greatest Sports Event (Hayley Wickenheiser) - Hayley Wickenheiser - 2010
Breaking the Ice: My Journey to Olympic Hockey, the Ivy League, and Beyond (Angela Ruggiero) - Angela Ruggiero - 2006
Manon: Alone in Front of the Net (Manon Rheaume) - Manon Rheaume - 1997
Angela James: The First Superstar of Canadian Women’s Hockey (Tom Bartsiokas and Corey Long) - Angela James - 2012

Research elements we need
Olympic Breakdown 1998-2022 (I am currently working on this and should be able to deliver late August)
World Championship Breakdown 1987-2023
NWHL Breakdown (1999-2007)
NWHL/PHF Breakdown (2016-2023)
CWHL Breakdown (2008-2019)
WWHL Breakdown (2005-2011)
Swedish Women's Hockey League Breakdown (2007-2023)
Finnish Women's Hockey League Overview (1982-2017)
CIS Overview (~1970-present)
NCAA Overview (~1970-present)
Esso Women's Hockey Nationals Breakdown (1982-2008)
Alpine Cup Overview (1917-1935)
Lipstick Tournament Overview (1966-1993)

We don't need hugely detailed game-by-game, but at least getting statistical breakdowns for all the leagues would be nice. Any awards given out would be nice to be collected too.

There is a large knowledge gap for women's hockey on this forum. But I'm hoping by fall we can take down the heavy hitters (international and modern leagues) and be in a positional where we could comfortably all put together a top 40. I've found enough from NWHL and CWHL that we can at least post point leader boards/awards voting.

The two big women Euro leagues are kind of a need too. The Swedish, in particular, hosts some of the best players in the world.

I struggle with college stuff, as I don't think the records keeping pre~2015 is great online, but maybe someone within the college system has better access.

The latter three areas (Esso, Alpine, Lipstick) are going to be difficult. I don't believe stats were recorded for Lipstick and newspaper articles are really sparse.
Once again thank you for doing this.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
I've been running through a lot of research the last six months and putting my own list together.

Using the same methodology we've used for all our lists, Wickenheiser will be number 1, Poulin number 2, and there's about 3 names in play for 3 (Hefford, Hiirikoski, Ruggiero).

If we look at Olympics only, it would be Poulin. If we look at World Championships and club play too, it's Wickenheiser.

Wickenheiser was named top forward by the media in 4 World Championships. Poulin, 3 times. Wickenheiser has 2 Olympic MVPs to Poulin's 0.

Reading contemporary opinion, Wickenheiser comes across much stronger. A solid gap between everyone and widely spoken of as the best of all time. Poulin has been the best of the pack, but not that far ahead of Kessel, Knight, and Daoust. Poulin also suffers from a reputation of a coaster in non Gold medal games. She is only sitting at 1 point in 2 games this year.

I still think this is the best project to do and I hope we get enough interest to tackle it next fall.
I gave this a like as this thread is a real treasue and I'm excited to think how we can all watch the assult on
Wickenheiser
by Chloe Primerano.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad